AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What screen size setting do all you use when watching a DVD in widescreen?

Full, Zoom, or Wide?

TIA,

Les

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I'm with jflegert and nospam-full for anamorphic discs only. (I don't even bother to play a disc on my 433 unless it's anamorphic.) Remember, this is one of the few cases where it's not a subjective thing-this IS the correct way to display the image. If you do anything else you will be distorting the picture as well as reducing image quality. Different story if the disc is merely letterboxed instead of anamorphic. In that case, do whatever looks best to you at that moment.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rockytt

Different story if the disc is merely letterboxed instead of anamorphic. In that case, do whatever looks best to you at that moment.
Why would you say "use what looks best"? Wouldn't zoom look the best, i.e., no distortion.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
With zoom you are reducing the resolution of the set and zooming in the picture which may/may not show artifacts if using an interlaced player. On my panny ED model the zoom feature makes things look "soft" as compared to full mode.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jflegert
Why would you say "use what looks best"? Wouldn't zoom look the best, i.e., no distortion.
You're right, of course. I had just finished watching my RPTV which has a couple of extra "artificial" modes that our plasmas don't have. Wide for 4:3 content, Zoom for letterboxed, and Full for anamorphic.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jflegert
Sure, but in full mode doesn't everyone look tall and skinny?
Not really. My full mode doesn't fill the screen (black bars on top and on bottom) but, to each his own.

·
Registered
360 Posts
On most DVDs of recent movies (I assume these must be anamorphic) we use full. On other DVDs that do not look correct in full mode we flip between zoom and wide, based on which mode looks best to us. Sometimes zoom and wide both make the characters look a little (and pretty much equally) squished, in which case we look to see which mode shows the most picture (by checking details around the edges) and go with that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.