AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a new 503 and I'm wondering if I should stick with the standard video card or go with a TVP-1000 or TVP-1000+ which sounds like it should be available soon. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Cory

:D

·
Registered
315 Posts
I recently got a 503cmx. I'm sticking with the 5002 for now. I mainly watch DVD's now and only watch a handle of shows on directv. In the fall, I may be switching to dishnet because they have nationwide HD CBS for SEC football (there's no HD CBS stations in my area yet). So for me I don't need a TVP just yet.

It really depends on your veiwing habits.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Depends on what you're buying the card for.

If you just want to tune regular NTSC signals, a VCR player will do the job with the PDA 5002 card.

If you want to tune ATSC (HiDef TV) depends on what your source is - OTA, cable, satellite. You may need a cable tuner or satellite tuner for those sources so the Aurora 1000+ would only function as an OTA ATSC tuner then.

If you're worried about HDCP, I would wait until that becomes a "real" threat to your viewing sources, before you upgrade the DVI port.

Long answer short - the PDA 5002 card may be just fine for your current sources.

Example: In my case, using the display inputs and the 5002 inputs -

Input 1 is an HTPC feeding OTA HiDef TV with a 75 foot VGA cable.

Input 2 is a progressive scan DVD player with component (RCA to BNC adapters)

Input 3 is a VCR feeding NTSC and tape with an s video cable

An alternative would be to hook the VCR up to Input 4 with a composite cable.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
If the PDA5002 comes bundled with the 503, you might as well stick with that. Otherwise, consider the Aurora A303 if you don't need the other goodies the TVP-1000+ offers. The A303 is similar to the 5002, except it has DVI/HDCP & a better scaler.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.