AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The media box resp. the remote control for the Pio HD's have AV settings for these plasmas with the options:

- Standard

- Dynamic

- Movie

- Game

- User

My hopefully not too silly question is:

Does this manual setting enable the set to watch movies from interlaced DVD and and tuner/STB sources to be watched in progressive ? My understanding is that intelligent deinterlacers/scalers determine if the material is film or video and use an appropriate setting. Here we got a manual option. How good is it ? Is the result really progressive ?

Thx

Kemal

·
Registered
41 Posts
I believe a panel is either progressive or not. You can't switch modes from one to the other. The scaler (internal or external) will send the correct signal to the panel. The panels you speak of are progressive. Reguardless of the source, you will see progressive.

The options you are referring to are picture zoom settings.

(guessing)

4:3 (standard)

16:9 (movie)

zoom 4:3

stretched 4:3 to 16:9 (dynamic)

letterbox

etc.

or they could be source selections

(guessing)

video in 1 (s-video)

video in 2 (component)

viideo in 3 (composite)

etc

again, I'm no expert and could be totally wrong.

Rey

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
joys_R_us:

Without having seen the plasma and media receiver in question, it sounds to me like the items you mention are various "picture" settings, which would adjust colour, tint, brightness, etc. depending on which one you choose.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Jim is correct, those settings allow you to preset color, brightness and many other picture controls to allow several different preset groups of settings for different material.

The settings include the reverse 3:2 pulldown (Pure Cinema) for NTSC sources only.

Whatever you watch will be progressive since that is the nature of the panel. Film based NTSC sources will benefit from the Pure Cinema mode, but any source will be converted, with the one exception of Progressive PAL as far as I know .

Mark

·
Registered
231 Posts
Also note that the settings mentioned in the first post don't control the aspect ratios, but just color etc. as Jim mentioned. Aspect ratios ( and any stretching etc) is handled by separate 'mode' controls.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkTaylor
Whatever you watch will be progressive since that is the nature of the panel. Film based NTSC sources will benefit from the Pure Cinema mode, but any source will be converted, with the one exception of Progressive PAL as far as I know .

Mark
Thx for the replies. One question just for clarification of my mind (hope its not too silly)

I read that the NEC42 is great in showing normal PAL films broadcasted in normal (SD) TV programs as it has an integrated deinterlacer/scaler which recognizes movies and switches to film mode. Would the Pio also enhance normal interlaced movies into progressive pics or not ? (I understand it doesn`t work with PAL progressive as input but I am talking about interlaced input)

Thx again

Life can really be a mess :rolleyes:

Kemal

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yes it will display an interlaced PAL signal as progressive, but as far as I know it does not have any ability to do anything special with PAL film sources since the Pure cinema function only works with NTSC. However, if I recall correctly, the conversion process with a PAL signal is more straight forward.

I've seen what the 503HDE can do with a PAL interlaced DVD source, and it isn't bad at all, I just think that the PAL progressive output from the Arcam DV27 was better so that was one of the reasons, along with increased detail in the blacks, that I bought the 503MXE in the end rather than the HDE.

The handling of PAL interlaced signals from my Sky+ Digital satellite source can approach that of progressive DVD quality so I'd say that the 503MXE manages the internal conversion very well, I've not seen how well the HDE handles that sort of signal though.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.