AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please provide a list of the major differences between these 2 Pioneer plasmas.

The only reason I'm considering the 5040 is that this is the only Pio that Costco sells.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Costco the only place you can buy from?

·
Registered
270 Posts
from the FAQ in the official Pio thread ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=550398 ):

Q. What are the differences between the xx40s, xx45s, and xx50s?

A. The only difference between the xx40s and xx45s is cable card compatibility. The major differences between the xx4x and xx50 are:

* Non-glass front panel (aka "1st Surface Pure Color Filter") on the xx50s. The new panel reduces PDP weight and cuts glare.

* ACE III vs ACE II (1792 luma (grayscale) levels per cell as opposed to 1024) in the xx50s.

* Esthetics: On the xx50s, the speakers are black (instead of silver) and they are full-size. On the xx4xs, the speakers can be mounted below the panel; this is not possible on the xx50s.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MNbri - thanks!!

Does anyone know if these differences translate into better PQ? Is it significant?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFerret
Costco the only place you can buy from?
Good question. I'm trying to see if buying from Costco is as good an idea as some folks say it is.

The 5040 at Costco is an older model. They sell it at about the same price as a newer 5050 from the internet sites sponsering AVS. However, the 5040 can probably be found at other places for less.

I will do some more research.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit07
Does anyone know if these differences translate into better PQ? Is it significant?
i would say the biggest advantage to the xx50 series is the non-glass front panel that reduces glare & reflections. that was one of my main concerns and i can verify first hand that it handles rooms with lots of light extremely well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have my 5040 waiting for me at Costco right now. They are clearancing these now. The after tax price I paid is close to the non taxed delivered price from an online site. The main difference is;

1. No extended warranty to pay for. If I have trouble, I'll just exchange it for another one if its out of warranty.

2. If exchange is necessary, the unit I'd be getting would be a newer model since this model is no longer being carried.

3. Since I'm getting this on clearance, it allows me to save some money now in anticipation of spending more in the future if/when exchange is necessary(in case of price difference)

4. With warranty work, you could get somebodys reject for an exchange of your unit if replacement was necessary. With Costco, just exchange for another new unit. No worries.

I know some will disagree with this mind set, but that's why Costco is so popular for flat screens. You will have to decide on which road you'll be traveling down.

·
Vendor
31,402 Posts
Some other differences are:

The 5040HD, when used with the desk stand can accommodate the speakers mounted underneath the plasma.

The 5040HD media centers' fan only runs when powered on. I have read where some of the 5050HD media centers' fans always run.

The 5050HD has the cablecard slot, where the 5040HD does not.

The 5050HD has better stretch mode capabilities.

The 5050HD has refining in technology to enhance PQ.

These are just a few more for starters............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.