AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeFrohman /forum/post/0

i'm seriously considering this set, but the greens scare me. i watch a lot of football and baseball on green fields. how will this look?

You are right to be concerned. Out of the box, Pioneers accentuate both red and green. It is unnatural. I would hope that user-level adjustments or if you have the display professionally calibrated then service-level adjustments can correct this. I expect that these sets can be successfully adjusted.

However, if the problem is inherient in the color decoder itself then it is possible that it cannot be properly dealt with although it can be mitigated by other adjustments.

I would pose this question on the calibration forum and hopefully an ISF technican who calibrates these displays will answer. Be sure you state the model as the Elites have extra adjustments that the consumer models do not.

Cheers,

Gary

P.S. Since this is a concern, you might also consider the NEC. I believe it has better color treatment than Pioneer and I know it has all the adjustments necessary for a complete calibration up in the user-level menus. Also it has even better processing although Pioneer's is very good. The newest 2007 model just released uses Pioneer glass.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The first thing I did on my 5070 was set it to the "D-Nice" settings. I've never seen any green or red push, and I've been looking for them pretty hard. I'm spot on with an Eagles jersey & grass appears as realistic as possible. I do get push of high intensity blues. Not the sky or a navy blue or that powder blue button up shirt. But if it's that high intensity almost neon blue, it seems to glow. I first picked it up in season 1 of Boston Legal, Denny Crane's tie for much of the season had some of it in it.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by why2not /forum/post/0

The first thing I did on my 5070 was set it to the "D-Nice" settings. I've never seen any green or red push, and I've been looking for them pretty hard. I'm spot on with an Eagles jersey & grass appears as realistic as possible. I do get push of high intensity blues. Not the sky or a navy blue or that powder blue button up shirt. But if it's that high intensity almost neon blue, it seems to glow. I first picked it up in season 1 of Boston Legal, Denny Crane's tie for much of the season had some of it in it.

Good to know that the user controls easily tame both the red and green seen in the stores. Can I assume you lost the perpetual sunburned faces?

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itigap /forum/post/0

Good to know that the user controls easily tame both the red and green seen in the stores. Can I assume you lost the perpetual sunburned faces?

Cheers,

Gary

It depends on the actor. Some come across a bit pink cheeked still, but so do I. I'm thinking it is the way they are supposed to look, as those with obviously latin or southern european descent do not have the pink undertones.

Now you've got me worried again. I'll have to start looking up ancestory of the actors to see if they're being protrayed correctly

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
It totally depends on the viewing material, but yes, the Pioneer 5071 has some punchy greens at times. I notice this in some movies... recently wedding crashers.

I don't really notice this in football games though. You'll be hard lucked to find any flat panel/digital TV that matches the quality of Pioneer with accurate greens.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
AbeFrohman,

I have owned a 6070 since last October.

What you will find is the correct color saturation setting for one program may not be right for another.

What I'd recommend is to go to one of the Best Buys with this display and adjust color from "0" to -3 depending on what's being broadcast. This will show you what to expect.

By the way folks, I've been told by a calibrator that the color decoder on these sets can't be adjusted. IMO, to the eye, I'm not so sure that it needs to be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.