AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Been here lurking for a while; doing my quiet research
. I'm currently looking at replacing our living room TV (42" 720P Sony Plasma) with a larger model. Part of this decision is that we also want to upgrade our bedroom TV, so the Sony is moving to that room. The two TV's I'm seriously considering are similar in price, but obviously different in other aspects. For the ~$3000 price tag (online prices I've found), I can have the 5070HD Pio, which from what I've seen, read, heard, is best quality 50" for the price. The other option is the 58PX60U Panny which I haven't seen in person (no local displays). However, the Panny has many positive reviews as well. I realize there are aesthetic differences (Pio black bezel vs Panny's silver), and honestly that really isn't a deciding factor for me. Additionally, sound quality isn't a factor either since I have my AV receiver to handle that.

I'm down to do I want the extra size or a marginally better but smaller picture? Has anyone compared these sets side-by-side? Our living room doesn't have a large amount of glare, and I do most of my viewing in the evening.

I know someone may mention the possibility of waiting until this summer for the 1080P sets on the way, but I'd like a TV now. Besides, when the basement is finished in the next year or so, the new 60" (display type TBD) with 1080P will be located there.

Thanks for any input,

John

· Registered
730 Posts
If it was the 5070 against Panasonic's 50-inch, I would definitely pick the Pioneer. But here I would say the bigger size trumps the difference in picture quality. With the Panasonic, you would have the more immersive size and would still be getting a great picture. The larger the TV, the more you see details. You just don't want those details fuzzy, which they shouldn't be with the Panasonic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.