AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a hell of a time figuring this out as far as how to create seperate thumbnails for 'chapters' within ONE title so that they appear on the finalized title menu. From another 310/510 post:

So, can you manually set chapter points on the HDD after a recording has taken place (or does it have to be done as you record?)

My main question on the recorder so far has got to be how to create seperate thumbnails for chapters within one recording/title on the 510/310. Are the thumbnails only for Seperate TITLES? I think so actually;(

Any way around this so I can get more than one thumbnail (to represent a few of the chapters within a one title-only disc) on the finalized menu? These finalized menus offer a minimum of 3 frames for thumbnails and it would be nice to have more than just one show up on the finalized title menu. With just one thumbnail/index picture, they appear rather barren.

Any 510 owners input appreciated.

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
On the Pioneers, you can't create a chapter menu at all. The thumbnail pictures are only for the title and the chapter can only be accessed through direct key in functions, not through any menu. The same for the Panasonic DMR-E100H. That's why the E80H's lack of thumbnails to me was no big deal. Instead of one picture, I got one text title instead. The Toshiba D-R1 is currently the only DVD recorder that makes DVD chapter menus with thumbnails but the quality is crap IMO. I guess they had to cut the expense somewhere.;)

I was really turned off by the lack of chapter menus myself, but I learned to get over it. Having chapters, period, is what counts. Using some PC DVD authoring software won't even create chapter menus or CHAPTERS!! Sonic's MyDVD will not create any chapters at all. The only way to make chapters is to physically capture within the MyDVD software. Importing video disables chapter creation.

I love to record but I won't record any more on VHS because the quality is crap and the life span is crap also. Senseless in this day and age where I've become accustomed to DVD quality movies and DirecTV quality television viewing. VHS has no part in my life anymore except for those cherished recordings.:) So I've been recording to my DirecTivo and I'm happy "UP TO THE POINT" where I need to erase recordings to make room for more. So as you can see, I really want a DVD recorder.:D

Have a good one.

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
Should had mentioned, I just got my none tech savvy friend to get his first DVD player. He won't even watch his pre-recorded VHS tapes anymore. He said he can't believe he waited this long. He's now wanting a DVD recorder. :p So I guess I'm doing the trial and error for the both of us.;) He has bought many of my older AV components, when I upgraded, so he trusts my opinion. So much, I feel like a support technician.:p Obviously, he would probably be extremely happy with the Toshiba D-R1's quality that I dislike, but he wouldn't put up with the confusing 24 hour timer though, that's for sure.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks. This is finally clear to me now. So, the only work-around on this if you're working with just one recording per dvd, seems to be 'dividing' the title and in essence creating a new title=new thumbnail?

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's correct zenith. If you have a single program on a DVD, divide each "chapter" into an individual title and then use the Navi Mark feature to assign individual thumbnails for each title. Each chapter will then show up along with it's thumbnail preview on the finished DVD's menu. An added benefit to this is being able to further subdivide each title/chapter using chapter marks. Good luck.

Stephen

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Stephen! I'll give that a shot. The only disadvantage to doing so that I'm envisioning is the dreaded pauses between titles/chapters that scenario might create on any other players when playing back the full title in one continuous viewing of said recording.

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
Unfortunately you'll get the pauses with a divide. Not sure if a re-encode would make it seamless but I doubt it. Technically, the recorder is seeing each title as a separate program and would deem it unnecessary to have it seamless. You could try and see how it works out. If you do try, let us know just out of curiosity.

Good luck and have a good one.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reporting back: Using divide, individual thumbnails created BUT there are the slight pauses there at edit (divide) points upon continuous playback;(

Now retrying copying divided title from copy list on HDD to DVD-RW (Video Mode) .. only this time with 'Frame Accurate' set to ON

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
Look at this way, it's no worse than what's available (excluding Toshiba) and better than many others that don't have pictures for their title descriptions. IMO, this is the norm and may not change as after reading these forums, menu chapters don't seem to be a big concern, if even a concern at all. Hence, there's no motivation for manufacturers to include it.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah .. still disappointing though. Perhaps Toshiba will pull it together picture-quality wise with their new line this Spring and we can have the best of both worlds.

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
After owning the D-R1 for a week, I wouldn't have a Toshiba unless they redesign the whole unit. The buttons on the top is the worst idea I've seen, just begging to be broke from another stacked component. The European date and time, after actually using it, would alone keep me from owning another recorder using that format. Completely senseless making a US product use another countries standards. :rolleyes: I don't want to have to break out the calculator to do time conversions.:)

Being this was my 2nd Toshiba product that was crap, I'll never buy another item with their name on it. I don't wait for the 3 strike policy.;)

Have a good one.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
;) I was hoping you'd respond to that Toshiba comment as I always find your comments abut the infamous DR-1 amusing. However, you would think that they can not be blind to these flaws and would hope that have taken major steps to improve the design, time format, and black level problems associated with the earlier units. The RD-X1 was , from everything I read about it, a pretty incredible machine aside from the time format and black level problems (granted .. 2 Big problems) You would think those would be 2 very easy aspects to correct! From the Toshiba site:

Digital Video Recorders

On the DVD recording front Toshiba announced the introduction of two new DVD recorders. Featuring Multi-Drives that can record and playback DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD-R discs, and the addition of a simplified EASY NAVI menu which allows easy access to recordings as well as a convenient and intuitive access to the unit's key features.

The new D-R2 (March 2004, $399.99) DVD recorder comes fully equipped for total flexibility in home recording and offers technology features like Digital Cinema Progressive Scan output, ColorStream Pro® Component video outputs, an IR Blaster for cable and DBS box controls, multi-disc compatibility, multimedia playback for JPEGs, MP3 and WMA titles and a Zoom mode. 3-D Virtual Surround Sound, Digital Noise Reduction, 3-D Y/C separation and an Optical Digital output round out the package.

To offer consumers the option of recording on either a DVD disc or storing up to 103 hours of video on its hard drive, Toshiba introduces the RD-XS32 (March 2004, $599.99) Multi-Drive DVD Recorder. Featuring an 80GB built-in hard disk drive, the unit allows users to record and playback their favorite TV broadcasts as well as compiling personal movie libraries for archiving and preserving family videos. This model also offers high speed copying from the HDD to a recordable disc-up to 12x for transferring to DVD-RAM and up to 24x for DVD-R.

We shall see soon enough I suppose ... Meanwhile, enjoy that Pioneer 510 .. I am.

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
Just got it tonight. It's sitting on top of my Panasonic DVD-CV52. However, since it's been on the UPS truck all day, it's a metal ice cube. I'm waiting until tomorrow to install it as I don't want it failing from condensation. I've had bad enough luck, I don't want to cause any more.:)

As for the D-R2, Pioneers has all these features on their current model, except DVD-RAM recording and the IR blaster. Pioneer has the auto start which seems a better solution for satellite in my case, than an IR blaster which I haven't had good luck with. By the time march rolls over, the Pioneer should be around $400 list. As for the lower cost of the Toshibas, I wonder if that stems from their less than glorious DVD recorder reputation.:p The price on the hard disc version has everyone beat, but are you really only getting what your paying for?!!;) That'll be the question that's answered when some brave soul buys one. Here's hoping the best for him or her.:)

**EDIT**

Forgot to mention, on the D-R1, the DVD-RW recording was crippled. They only allowed DVD-RW Video mode recording and no DVD-RW VR mode recording. They left VR mode recording soley for DVD-RAM. So if DVD-RAM fails in the future, this recorder has no editing ability. Hopefully they have added DVD-RW VR mode recording to the new models.

Have a good one.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.