AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have read the 533 is a great machine....BUT not recommended for cable box users because of the EPG. If not then what equivalent machine is recommended? I don't care if I have the EPG or not. I have panny e50 and 60 and pio 220.

With the 533 can I not to timed recordings the same way I do with these older models..i.e. program each timed recording manually? from what I have read, and I may have misinterpreted it, but it seems you cannot set up and do time recordings unless you use or go thru the epg. Can owners of this clarify? I just want to be able to record to disk or HD by setting my timers up as I do on these older models.

Then is there a better model with hard drive out there than the 533 for 400 bucks or less? better quality recording?

Also, will the 533 utilize that blaster thing that will change the channel on the cable box, and if so where can I get the blaster for it, if not, what models comparable in quality will use the blaster correctly?

I need the dv input that is why i am not considering the 531.

I have never used one with the hdd. Can someone clarify what format it records in to the hard drive....is it in the VIDEO_TS folder, VOB format, or mpeg? Is there one out there that will burn to the VOB in the VIDEO_TS folder on the HDD so there will not have to be any reencoding?

thanks all..t

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think you have it backwards. The EPG only affects the built in cable tuner. If you use an external cable box you should be fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv13
Also, will the 533 utilize that blaster thing that will change the channel on the cable box, and if so where can I get the blaster for it, if not, what models comparable in quality will use the blaster correctly?
My 533 included the IR blaster and it will change the cable box channels. Assuming your box is supported. Page 98 of the User Manual online at http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...structions.pdf

Andy...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
have read the 533 is a great machine....BUT not recommended for cable box users because of the EPG. If not then what equivalent machine is recommended? I don't care if I have the EPG or not. I have panny e50 and 60 and pio 220.

With the 533 can I not to timed recordings the same way I do with these older models..i.e. program each timed recording manually? from what I have read, and I may have misinterpreted it, but it seems you cannot set up and do time recordings unless you use or go thru the epg. Can owners of this clarify? I just want to be able to record to disk or HD by setting my timers up as I do on these older models.

Then is there a better model with hard drive out there than the 533 for 400 bucks or less? better quality recording?

I need the dv input that is why i am not considering the 531.

I have never used one with the hdd. Can someone clarify what format it records in to the hard drive....is it in the VIDEO_TS folder, VOB format, or mpeg? Is there one out there that will burn to the VOB in the VIDEO_TS folder on the HDD so there will not have to be any reencoding?

thanks all..t
You can make manual recordings even if the EPG is disabled. The interface is the EPG interface but this does not mean the EPG must be setup to be able to do timer recordings.

The unit comes with an IR blaster cable to control the cable box. However if you do this you must setup the EPG and make it work with the cable box which many people is reporting be trouble. EPG works easier without cable box (analog channels only) by connecting the recorder directly to the cable wall outlet.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudytx
You can make manual recordings even if the EPG is disabled. The interface is the EPG interface but this does not mean the EPG must be setup to be able to do timer recordings.

The unit comes with an IR blaster cable to control the cable box. However if you do this you must setup the EPG and make it work with the cable box which many people is reporting be trouble. EPG works easier without cable box (analog channels only) by connecting the recorder directly to the cable wall outlet.
thanks all..does not sound too good then. I went to page 98 and all it had was the remote control setup.

So, given that, is there another recorder with hdd out there that matches the 533 in quality recording? and uses ir blaster ok? with the new encoder technology?

and I have never used one with the hdd. Can someone clarify what format it records in to the hard drive....is it in the VIDEO_TS folder, VOB format, or mpeg? Is there one out there that will burn to the VOB in the VIDEO_TS folder on the HDD so there will not have to be any reencoding?

thanks all for the help..t

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
thanks all..does not sound too good then. I went to page 98 and all it had was the remote control setup.
The IR controller is set up during the EPG setup process. If I remember correctly (I have a 633, BTW), only 2 or 3 cable box brands are listed by name, but many more are supported by running tests to see which codes work on your box. Mine was not one of those listed by name, but it ended up working fine.

Quote:
and I have never used one with the hdd. Can someone clarify what format it records in to the hard drive....is it in the VIDEO_TS folder, VOB format, or mpeg? Is there one out there that will burn to the VOB in the VIDEO_TS folder on the HDD so there will not have to be any reencoding?
I think the files are stored on the HD in MPEG-2 format. When you copy from the HD to a DVD, you can make a proper video DVD with a VIDEO_TS folder containing VOB files. There is no re-encoding necessary when doing this as long as all the video you have selected will fit on a DVD as it is.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
The IR controller is set up during the EPG setup process. If I remember correctly (I have a 633, BTW), only 2 or 3 cable box brands are listed by name, but many more are supported by running tests to see which codes work on your box. Mine was not one of those listed by name, but it ended up working fine.

There are more than 2 or 3 cable box brands. Make sure you scroll down the list. I did not see this initially as well but you need to scroll down until you find your cable box brand name.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
Sorry about that. He's right. The cable boxes are selected in the TVGUIDE setup. Not listed in the manual.

Andy....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quote:
There's no escape from EPG, they all use it now.

Quote:
If you mean encoding quality then the Toshiba XS34 is definitely better. (ie: less blocky and better handling of poor sources) But if you require proc amp tweaking you better stick with the Pioneers. (ie: picture levels adjustments) You can also access the manual timer recording scheduler quicker on the Pioneer (1 button direct access via the remote instead of having to navigate thru the crazy EPG menus).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks Shaw, so the PQ on the toshiba is better than the Pioneer?

Honestly, I don't need to tweak anything...mostly i just use it right out of the box...I am not into getting everythng perfect..just something that I can use to record some movies that I can watch in the future, that are decent quality and the recorder is pretty automatic except setting up to record...all the stuff i want to tweak i will do on my DVstorm card on the computer...

So if the toshiba is best quality, then i should be looking at it, right? thanks..t

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quote:
thanks Shaw, so the PQ on the toshiba is better than the Pioneer?

Honestly, I don't need to tweak anything...mostly i just use it right out of the box...I am not into getting everythng perfect..just something that I can use to record some movies that I can watch in the future, that are decent quality and the recorder is pretty automatic except setting up to record...all the stuff i want to tweak i will do on my DVstorm card on the computer...

So if the toshiba is best quality, then i should be looking at it, right? thanks..t
I'm only saying between the Tosh and Pio, the Tosh is the clear winner in PQ. More comments

Please note, I can't say whether either will accept firewire from the DVStorm so you better check into this if you need that to work!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.