Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Narrowed down my receiver selection to the Pioneer Elite 53X or the Denon 2803. Have seen comments on each, and am having a hard time making up my mind. I know most would compare the Pio with the Denon 3800 series due to price, but I have heard the 2803 is 'warmer' sounding than the upgraded (3803?) for whatever reason.

Like the automatic speaker set up the Pio offers, think it is a big plus...and I heard the Pio is also warm sounding (my preference). Wattage is roughly the same; 90 vs. 100, most of the rest seems equal. I want to get my receiver from a local dealer (vs online), and the bottom line pricing I get is $800 for the Pioneer (+ Tax), and $709 (+ Tax) for the Denon. Not sure how to narrow it down further. Heard some fellow who sold Pio and said he was not impressed, so that could faver the Denon. My original budget was in the $400-$500 range, again, favoring the Denon. I have heard a lot of good things about the Elite line, so I am wondering if I should stretch even further to snag the Pio, or if it's not worth it. Originally was looking at the Pio 912 for #300, but the limit to 100hz crossover turned me off.

Any ideas on this choice?

Frank

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Frank,

I cannot comment on the Denon directly, although I know they make good stuff! To me the MCACC is the real deal, and most elite owners will tell you "Once you have MCACC you'll never go back". Yamaha has a new line out with a auto setup feature called YPAO. I have not heard it, but in the past have not cared for the Yamaha sound (just a tad on the bright side), YMMV of course. That is just how it sounded to me.

Check these threads out where I comment on the 55TXi. Which is essentially the same minus i.Link, better remote, USB, etc. :

Here

and

Here

Good Luck, hopefully others will chime in as well with advice!

Best Regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well,

Had the Denon 2803 ($700) and Pio 912 ($300) in my sites, and opted for the Pioneer 53 TX instead. Got tired of analysis, and saw good reviews here of the 42 and 45 tx, so figured, what the hell. Plus, was listening to some Paradigms at the store where I was contemplating the decision, and figured if I spring for new speakers in a year, it would be nice to have the 'upgraded' Receiver. [At least that's the rationale I used in my own mind]

Frank

·
Registered
230 Posts
You didn't really say what you needed out of the receiver. At the price level of the 53TX you are talking about a receiver that only has 2 optical inputs in the back (one in front and same with 55Txi). To me this is the only flaw I've found with the Elites as I'm in the process of switching my current 47TX for the 55Txi to get the new I-link (maybe I'll use it in a year or two) and the better MCACC adjustments. I'm going to get an optical Y-Adapter and run all my videogame systems through one optical input and then get a optical to coax converter for my DTC-100 HDTV Receiver. I figure I'm better to trade off now and be ready for the future (possible future since the I-Link isn't exactly established) and have better tuning capabilities. These guys had better get ready for some questions when I get my 55Txi in as far as tuning goes. Anyway, sorry for the LONG version. Basically if you really want more than two optical inputs then think it through on what you want to buy or how you will get all your opticals to work on a 53TX if you have many like I do. The Denon and Yamaha models are pretty stacked on optical inputs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
K,

Quote:
You didn't really say what you needed out of the receiver. At the price level of the 53TX you are talking about a receiver that only has 2 optical inputs in the back (one in front and same with 55Txi). To me this is the only flaw I've found with the Elites
Yeah, despite reading here for months on end, I am not really sure how to describe what I need from a receiver.

Basically, I have my music set up in another room, and am happy with my 12 year old receiver and speakers (Sony/Epicure). When I started to want to put together a home theater, I mistakenly guessed that an AV receiver was mostly for the 'A' part....that I could pick up a fairly inexpensive A/V reciever and go from there, as the main purpose of the HT is to have some nice, exciting 'Saturday night-rent a DVD' experiences, and to see some music Vids, and some HDTV sporting events with realistic surround sound.

Well, I got part the way there. I'm using my 25+ year old speakers and a pair of matching surrounds. Always wanted a sub-woofer, and knew it would be an integral part of my HT, so I shopped and got a really nice one. So the sub became the new part of my HT. Got an LCD 50 incher for the TV. The receiver could be the Pioneer 912 which got good reviews on CNET and elsewhere. Does most of the surround options, has the auto set-up, 100wpc, etc. Seems like a nice fit for my older speakers, etc. Then I started to think about the new TV, the new sub, and began to get syched aabout all the seemingly nice things with the 43/45TX models. Couldn't find any new ones for sale, so opted for the 53. A little over my price range to be honest. Plus, I am now thinking about new speakers too. Seems that this stuff starts to spawn interest in other 'new' things.

After this long explaination, I still have not said what I need the receiver to do. That's because I am not sure. I like to fiddle now and again with the sound (placement of speakers, equalization to some degree, etc. I will try to run my DVD player/TV using the receiver. Not sure if I can run my cable (for the TV) through it too. Not going to use the TV for net browsing, or games.

The receiver is still in the box. Am feeling guilty, and thinking maybe I should have opted for the VSX 912 for $300 (and get stuck with 100HZ crossover) which would probably serve my purposes well. The sales guy and discussions here convinced me that 'upgrading' the receiver (from 912 to 53tx) was a good idea for overall quality reasons, etc.

Frank

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think you made a good decision by getting the 53tx. It's awesome. Sooner or later you are probably going to want to upgrade your speakers since you have got a new tv and reciever - and you don't want to be thinking that the quality of the amp is the weak link in your system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.