AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Audiogon there is a recurring listing for Pioneer DV-59AVi universal players priced around $xxx (dunno if it's ok to post prices) by an online retailer named Theatermax, out of New Jersey... does anybody here have experience with them?

The units are said to be sealed A-stock, with a full factory warranty... Theatermax appears to be a 'verified' A-gon retailer... on their own website, Theatermax stops short of saying they are an authorized Pioneer retailer, but rather that they locally support the brand... no mention of T-max on the Pioneer website.

The price seems right, so long as there's a legit manufacturers warranty... but the skeptic in me says: be wary... especially in light of controversies surrounding some online retailers who advertise on A-gon.

So I'm doing my homework... anybody got any buzz on Theatermax?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
716 Posts
I know nothing about the e-tailer in question - sorry. But from your description it's obvious that Theatermax is not an authorized Pioneer dealer and that the "full factory warrantee" is useless and that you will have to depend on Theatermax's good graces and financial condition if things go awry, although, in truth, this will vary by manufacturer. Some don't care where a piece was purchased, others do. Is the reward worth the risk? I decided a long time ago that it wasn't, but only you can decide for yourself.

·
Registered
15,826 Posts
I personally would not buy expensive electronics from unauthorized dealers. The manufacturer may not honor the warranty, and many of these "cheap" dealers do not take returns. If it works, you save $$. If you have a problem, you may be out of luck. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently had a bad experience with the Pioneer 59avi. Bought Authorized B-stock off ebay. Received unit and and it would not play any disk (original or dvd-r) correctly. Wrote to seller "unitedonlineshopping" describing problems. They quickly offered to ship me additional unit at their cost. I was impressed that they wanted to make things right even if it was going to cost them $$ to ship new unit. They also have 100% feedback with close to 350 items sold.

I understand that you are looking for A stock player but for $650 shipped and a quality company backing you up I can't see where you can go wrong.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
GDX and cdallen: I know you are both new, but this discussion is against forum rules:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>> Forum Rules : MSRP Pricing only/ no retail links: MUST READ before you post!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I would say that you can get some great deals online buying the 59avi and many others players and components but you must ask the seller and pioneer if the warranty is valid.

I did this and purchased a new sealed pioneer elite 59avi from "Electronics Delivered" on Ebay and it had the full warranty and was not B stock.

Bottom line is check it out first! Also sometimes you get stuff for such a low price you can afford to pay yourself and have it fixed and still have a good deal !

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I like to buy from authorized dealers. But if I can get brand new unit for enough of a discount, I will buy from an unauthorized dealer. But I always make sure they will replace a DOA machine. You can also check the Audiogon user's feedback, to see what others say about him.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Before I make a first time purchase from an online retailer, I check out their ratings on resellerratings.com. If they have an excellent track record, I typically get better service there than from some of the better known electronics chains (who shall remain nameless).

If you buy from an unauthorized dealer, many of them try to sell you a third-party warranty in lieu of the manufacturers warranty. I usually don't bite on those, however if the item is expensive and you are getting a substantial discount, you can basically put a piece of your savings into the warranty the dealer is offering. I have had good luck, but I have stayed away from brands with poor track records. Pioneer has been a safe investment for me. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.