AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all.

Looking for some input on the best bang for the buck as far as my avr goes. Recently comed blew a generator and it fried my klipsch speakers as well as my pio elite vsx 40! I would normally be livid but I did get somewhat lucky since I was days away from hooking up my brand new monitor 70s, cs 2 center, and pl 200 sub! Comed and myself are disputing reimbursement now andif all else fails I'll claim my renters insurance. The insurance will likely replace the products and then I will sell them for what I can to make up for some money spent on the new stuff.

So to the question. I am bringing the avr into a local service company and depending on the price and the feedback I get from here will determine whether to pay for repair or just bite the bullet and buy new.

What do you think is the best option given the set up I stated above and the avr I have or could have for a decent price? How much money is too much for the repair before just buying new? If I bought new I'd stay under $450.

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
My AV receiver advice is the same for everyone - buy one with the features you want and will use.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchmanjr1310  /t/1512007/pio-elite-vsx-40-surged-out-to-repair-or-replace#post_24213437

Hey y'all.

Looking for some input on the best bang for the buck as far as my avr goes. Recently comed blew a generator and it fried my klipsch speakers as well as my pio elite vsx 40! I would normally be livid but I did get somewhat lucky since I was days away from hooking up my brand new monitor 70s, cs 2 center, and pl 200 sub! Comed and myself are disputing reimbursement now andif all else fails I'll claim my renters insurance. The insurance will likely replace the products and then I will sell them for what I can to make up for some money spent on the new stuff.

So to the question. I am bringing the avr into a local service company and depending on the price and the feedback I get from here will determine whether to pay for repair or just bite the bullet and buy new.

What do you think is the best option given the set up I stated above and the avr I have or could have for a decent price? How much money is too much for the repair before just buying new? If I bought new I'd stay under $450.

Any help is appreciated

I'm under the impression that other than warranty repairs, not too many people fix AVRs any more. I wouldn't be surprised at > $100 just to look at it.

As far as good hardware for good prices - check the refurb market, centerpieced by www.acessories4less.com and eCost.

The last AVR I purchased was a refurb Denon and I'm still happy with it 6 months later. The one feature I'd try to maximize is the level of Audyssey - in your price range Audyssey Multieq XT should be easy to find while the next notch up - Audyssey XT32 should still be mission impossible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've read awesome things about audyssey. I am pretty sure I am going to place the claim and have everything replaced. Probably sell the vsx 40 and the klipscb speakers once they are replaced and go buy a Sony strdn1040. Seems to have the most bells and whistles for the $500 range. Anyone know the best place to pick it up cheap?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts