AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm posting because I'm in the market for a new 50 plasma.For my first house (settlement Feb 29).I want the best TV for 3500 4000.I'm shelling out THOUSANDS for the house so the circuit city finance deal looks appealing but they don't sell PIOs(is BB doing the same deal?)

well this is what i narrowed it down to

Pio elite ?is the PQ worth 2k over the 5010

Pio kuro 5010

Pio kuro 5080 ? PQ close enough to the 5010 to save 2k

or the pany 700

any help on this will be greatly appreciated i only have till march 1st to decide

·
Registered
255 Posts
The PRO-1150HD (720p Elite) is going for under $3K at Best Buy this week. I'd go for that. Circuit City does not carry Pioneer, but BB has the same 36 months no interest financing this week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You have plenty of time to decide.
Try finding a local dealer with both the Panny TH-50PZ700U and the Pio PDP-5080HD / Pio PRO-1150HD. Have a look for yourself.

In a side by side test I prefer the PDP-5080HD from my normal viewing distance, but you might not.

I think you're ultimately deciding between an excellent 1080p set (the Panny) or an exceptional 720p set (the Pioneer).

·
Registered
337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE-MIDNIGHT /forum/post/12879662

Hello

I'm posting because I'm in the market for a new 50 plasma.For my first house (settlement Feb 29).I want the best TV for 3500 4000.I'm shelling out THOUSANDS for the house so the circuit city finance deal looks appealing but they don't sell PIOs(is BB doing the same deal?)

well this is what i narrowed it down to

Pio elite ?is the PQ worth 2k over the 5010

Pio kuro 5010

Pio kuro 5080 ? PQ close enough to the 5010 to save 2k

or the pany 700

any help on this will be greatly appreciated i only have till march 1st to decide

Get the 5080 and buy it from a forum rep or off Ebay for well under 2K...This set is "vastly" superior to any Panny on the consumer market right now. I saw the 50" in Best Buy from a few ft. away and cannot see any issues. Also, the 5080 will do 1080P/24FP and all broadcasts are at 720P so unless you need 1080P for computer use, the 5080 under 2K (you can find it under 2K easily) is the way to go IMHO...or as the other mentioned, the Elite would be a very viable option as it has an even better processing engine and you need only see some photos posted of what I believe is the 1080P version of the set to see just how insanely gorgeous it is.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioexcels /forum/post/12881001

Get the 5080 and buy it from a forum rep or off Ebay for well under 2K...

I agree that I'd pick up one of the Pioneers - but Beware of Ebay. Pioneer does not warranty their sets bought on ebay. You can get very good prices from forum sponsors.

·
Registered
313 Posts
How far away will you be sitting? If closer than 6-7 ft., then you'll want to go with a 1080p set (the Pio. 5010 or 110); if farther away, then the 720p sets (Pio. 5080 or 1150) should work. Given your budget, with a bit of a stretch you could even consider a Pioneer 6010!

Here's a useful article about seating distance vs. resolution:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hit...esolution.html

I agree - contact the forum sponsors for a much better deal than you'll find at BB. Or, look on the Pioneer website for a list of authorized dealers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i will be sitting about 8-9 feet from the TV to the couch. i have an open floor that leads to my kitchen where theres a bar/island about 13-14 feet from the TV.I'm picturing sat/ sun mornings drinking a cup of java watching the sports real

i have a bluray and hd dvd player and xbox 360 elite since they are all 1080p i figured i would get a 1080p tv.But i guess if i go 50 inch i only need 720 and if i go 60 then 1080p ? does that sound right?

·
Registered
93 Posts
For what this is worth, I looked long a hard at the PRO-1150HD at a local high end a/v shop, comparing it to the PRO-110FD that was right next to it receiving the exact same signal.

From less 4' and less the 110 was much clearer and crisper all thanks to the extra million pixels. From 5-6' the 110 was still clearer but the difference between the two was only slight. From my viewing distance of 7.5' I could hardly discern any noticeable difference in PQ between the two Elites.

I ended up purchasing a PDP-5080HD last week and I could not be happier.

·
Registered
337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashti /forum/post/12882069

I agree that I'd pick up one of the Pioneers - but Beware of Ebay. Pioneer does not warranty their sets bought on ebay. You can get very good prices from forum sponsors.

I saw some that do off Ebay, but if the sponsors have better pricing, it would make no sense to shop on Ebay.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well guys thanks for the help.

I'm going to BB and having a look for my self at the 5010 and 5080 and then ill decide there on the 2

now for my theater room hmm whats a good 70+ panel lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts