AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions please:

Considering the Pioneer Elite Pro940 42" and the Pio PDP4270 42". I have a list of the technical differences, but I'm not sure which are the important differences versus the just nice to have type differences.

One thing that caught my attention was the calibration difference. Seems the Pro 940 has better calibration features than the 4270 model. Is this a deal breaker for the 4270 ?

I'm just a basic setup, cable TV ( HBO, ESPN ) and a standard DVD / VCR combo....Nothing fancy, no game, no computer, no surround sound, no digital camera pictures to show, etc...

I found decent pricing, but is the Pro940 worth the extra $500 difference over the 4270? Does the Pro 940 have any " Got to have features" over the 4270 ?

Thanks from San Diego

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I was going thru the same thing but with the 50" versions. I chose the non Elite because I am not going to get the 5070 ISF calibrated and it is going to go in my bedroom in a year or two max. If it was not going to go in the bedroom, I would have probably gone with the Elite.

This thread explains what the Elites have over the Pure.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=720961

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THX Juan for your input

I saw the thread you mentioned and printed it out a few days ago. I have been reading a doing my homework for a long time now. I'm just trying to be careful, this will be my first HDTV and I want to make a good choice.........unlike some of my other first experiences in my life ( a bit of humor )

I saw D-Nice's settings information for both models, he did a LOT of work, my compliments to him.

Is there much difference in SD viewing ? I get about 15 channels in HD according to Time Warner Cable ( yuck ) the rest of the 200 channels are SD.

I tried to compare the 2 sets on display at Best Buy. They were in different areas and both were badly tuned. It made a comparison useless. I asked the manager about the pictures on display and he said the sets were calibrated. I told him you got to be kidding, the faces are redder than a Santa Claus suit.

I'm sure the HD quality is outstanding on both.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I don't think there will be much difference between the two when watching SD, the Elite will probably be a little better because of how much more you can tweak it, but I don't think it is going to be night and day. I can tell you that once my 5070 arrived and I set it up with D-Nice's settings, the picture was way better than any where I seen it. Even my wife noticed how good it look after using those settings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.