AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the difference is between these two receivers besides minor cosmetics???? In their specs, they look the same, except the 1016 weights 3 more pounds (better power source?). I went to best buy today. The don't carry the 1016... I got the impression they felt it was two similar to the Elite and wanted to milk the extra 150 out of you for a little gold print on the face.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by set2374 /forum/post/0

Anyone know what the difference is between these two receivers besides minor cosmetics???? In their specs, they look the same, except the 1016 weights 3 more pounds (better power source?). I went to best buy today. The don't carry the 1016... I got the impression they felt it was two similar to the Elite and wanted to milk the extra 150 out of you for a little gold print on the face.

Where did you find out that the 1016 weighs more? I've downloaded both .PDF manuals in my receiver search and the Pioneer data indicated that both weighed the same.

The Elite 80 has a few more features when it comes to 2nd zone audio. That's about the biggest difference between them besides the cosmetics.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wje /forum/post/0

Where did you find out that the 1016 weighs more? I've downloaded both .PDF manuals in my receiver search and the Pioneer data indicated that both weighed the same.

The Elite 80 has a few more features when it comes to 2nd zone audio. That's about the biggest difference between them besides the cosmetics.

I looked on the Pioneer website. It lists the 1016 at 35.3 pounds and the Elite 80 and 81 at 33.1. I have been told (and read in other threads) that greater weight is usually an indicator of a higher quality power source...... I find this curious. Interestingly enough, the Elite 82, weighs in at 35.1 and the 84 at 35.5. Is it possible that the 1016 actually shares the the same power source as the 82 and 84??? I am no expert on these things by any means, but I called pionner can couldn't get a straight answer from any of the reps there. I do know it's really hard to track down a 1016 anywhere in stock. It has to be special ordered. Neither CC nor BB carry them at any of their stores. BB carries the Elite series and tries to push the 80 big time. I am going to bet that when we learn more about the 1017, we'll find out that they have gutted this model point further down from the original (great value) 1015 to eliminate competition within the brand.

·
Registered
101 Posts
There are a couple differences:

- 80tx has multi-room capability

- Elites also come with a 2yr warranty (vs 1yr for non Elites).

There is also a minor cosmetic difference.

Other than that, they appear to be the same thing though it is possible that the Elites might use some better parts.

If you like the 80tx you can listen too, chances are good the 1016 sounds nearly or exactly the same.

fyi...if you look at the brochures, the weights are the same.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I used to own the 1015 which I would assume sounds similar to the 1016. The 80 IMHO sounds better than 1015. I didn't think there would be much of a difference but the 80 sounds noticably cleaner than the 1015. I think its just a matter of its worth the extra money. As one of the leaders in the A/V field, I would HIGHLY doubt that Pioneer would sell the essentially sell the same receiver and price one $150 more. I do think that Pioneer should clear up the differences between the 80TXV and the 1016 because this is the 4th thread at least that has addressed this issue. This also makes me wonder what the 1017 will be like. Hmm...

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
As one of the leaders in the A/V field, I would HIGHLY doubt that Pioneer would sell the essentially sell the same receiver and price one $150 more.

Huh? Companies do this ALL the time. How many cars can you count that are the same w/ just different names on them? You pay $150 more & get 1 year longer warrenty & the Elite name. Seems like business as usual to me.

·
Registered
193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey151 /forum/post/0

Huh? Companies do this ALL the time. How many cars can you count that are the same w/ just different names on them? You pay $150 more & get 1 year longer warrenty & the Elite name. Seems like business as usual to me.

True. But I've heard the 1015 and the 80 tested with the same reference equipment and the 80 sounded better. "Better" is obviously a matter of opinion but I can at least say that they sounded "different". The 1015 probably sounds closer to the 1016 than the 80.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Also, weight usually is a pretty good indicator of amplifier build quality but that isn't always the case. For one, alot similiar Denon's compared to the 1016, and Elites weigh several pounds less but I'm sure they have very comparable amplifier sections. Additionally, the 1016 and the Elite 82 weigh essentially the same but if you read audioholics test on the Elite 82 you will see that it meets its 130WpC quite easily and they quoted that the power rating is quite conservative. So since the 1016 weighs the same would that mean it is easily capable of 130WpC? I think not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.