AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few questions/concerns:

I'm hoping to run low impedance speakers off a Pioneer 1018, and am concerned about any long term effects to the receiver for a low impedance(4 ohm) speaker, or if it is even a good enough receiver to do such a thing. If its not, please feel free to let me know which one would be my best bet in that price range, or free to hand out any opinions on doing such a thing. Thanks

·
Registered
379 Posts
I just did a quick look at the owner's manual on-line for the 1018ah-k. It does have an impedence switch to use for 8 or 6 ohm speakers. I did not read where it mentioned 4 ohm speakers.

That being said, a lot of people (me included) will say that you can use 4 ohm speakers with most 8 ohm receivers with no ill affects, especially if you keep the volume at moderate levels. But take this with a grain of salt.

I do have an older model Yamaha that has a similar switch. I have used 4 ohm speakers for my mains now for about 3 years and have had no problems (I also think my center channel was a 4 ohm speaker, not sure, though). But, of course, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
The 1018 has preamp outputs so you can buy a separate amplifier to drive your speakers. I currently am using an old Denon AVR-3300 with Thiel CS 1.6 speakers up front and a Thiel SCS2 for center. These speakers are 4ohm minimum. The receiver drove them, but was a bit "lean" in sound and got toasty. I bought a used Acurus 3 channel amp and the receiver now just powers the surrounds.

Sounds great!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am driving IIIs for my front and will be using my ROTEL amp for them. Thats why I am looking at a Pio 1018 or a Yamaha RX-V663BL. My side surrounds will be IIc's and some Polk Audio floor standing speakers for rear.

The Rotel should have more than enough current for the fronts, and I have never had a prob with the Pio I have now (don't recall the modle now). Had bought an Onkyo 606 and had to return it when I saw it didn't have any pre-outs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts