AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come down to the Pioneer 1110hd vs the P50-10. I was close to purchasing the Pio 1110hd, but noticed that Good Guys had a deal on the Fujitsu. I've been following this board and everyone seems to have good things to say about ht e Fujitsu. Now the qeustions is, what does the Pioneer do better than the Fujitsu?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The pio has a better media box with more inputs and options. I like the color and vivid quality on the Pioneer over the Fujitsu.

The Fujitsu beats the Pioneer on black levels, hands down and has a very good PQ in its own way.

If you can, audition both under low-ambient light conditions, as close as you can to what it is in your own hom before you buy. Pick the one *you* like the best.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Briefly for me

I like the aesthetics better of the P50

The P50 handled "video noise" better than the Pio

Fujitsu has an excellent service and build quality that is second to none

The Punchy colors were almost too punchy for me, as they lacked detail and definition (again, that was just me)

Black level

I'm lucky that I had just as many Fujitsu dealers in the area (3) as I had Pioneer Elite (4) for good comparison and competition. Some people can only get access to Pioneer.

It was awfully close, but from P50 edged out the Pioneer for me. It would have been nice to have a second DVI input, but not necessary. It has been very very difficult for me to tell the difference between DVI and component.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've been looking intensely at Pio vs. Fujitsu (and Panny) for the past 6-8 weeks. I am liking the Fujitsu best overall mostly for its PQ, but think that all 3 are very good. The green tone of the Pio keeps bothering me as does the lack of deep blacks. The Fujitsu processor gives it an edge over the Panny even though they both use the same glass. The Fujitsu's price is a negative, but you need to make that tradeoff for yourself. I also like the Fujitsu 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I saw both of these models this evening at my local B & M. The Fuji model was the XHA10US. They were side by side. What surprised me is that the Fuji picture looks much larger because the Pio has speakers on the sides. It's an optical illusion, they both measure the same picture dimmensions.

Another surprise was that the Pio had better black levels. Since the CR specifications on the Fuji are better, I expected the opposite. Neither plasma was calibrated so I have no way of knowing whether this holds true or not.

I prefered the color on the Pio. Perhaps the CR had something to do with it, or lack of calibration or adjustment.

When we switched to a SD signal, the Fuji had an advantage, although not a great one.

All in all, it's very difficult to judge one plasma against another. One has no way of knowing how they are adjusted or calibrated. I imagine fiddling with the controls would help, but didn't have a lot of time to do so.

·
Registered
360 Posts
StockInv,

I would check back with the store if you are interested to see if there was something amiss with regard to the Fuji that you were looking at. Black level performance relative to both the product lines in question and the specific models in question has just been so well documented here and elsewhere. As many good qualities as the Pio has, black level performance is not its strong suit while at least for a plasma display, Fuji does a pretty good job relative to black level. I have owned both a Pio 50 and a Fuji 50. So, I have used products from both product lines extensively.

I have to agree with the poster recommending that for daytime viewing, the Pio may have the edge in PQ with the Fuji winning out in night or low light conditions.

·
Registered
639 Posts
There was no doubt about it, the Pio had better black levels. The Fuji blacks were ok, but more gray then the Pio. I know from previous discussions here that this doesn't hold true. My point is that when you go to a store evaluate a plasma, it's very difficult to make draw conclusions because one doesn't know how well the sets are adjusted and/or calibrated. That is why this forum is such a wealth of information.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Definitely try to see another P50 in a different store if you can, or see if you can get the remote and dial in the blacks.

While there are many subjective pros/cons with these 2 panels, it is pretty much a non-debatable fact that the P50 blacks are better. Granted, how *much* better they are is definitely open for debate, but anyone who has seen/owned these panels (myself included...I had the 5040 for a week before I exchanged for a P50) has never said the pio blacks were better. It must have been a calibration and/or high usage issue (the P50 might have been on in that store for a very long period of time and could be showing the wear. It is a 10 series, which means it has been available for over a year...while the 1110 just became available a few months ago.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I checked both of these models out today side by side at several stores and agree that the Pio had better blacks, although both were close. Also thought Pio had better colors. Although the best plasma I have seen has been the Sony XBR 42 and 50 inch plasmas. Never hear much about those two on this forum though.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am choosing between the new Fuji, the 1110-hd Elite, and the Sony KDE-50XBR950.

I eliminated the Fuji because I decided I want the media box. I don't want to run wires constantly through the walls each time I want to add a new device.

Now, I'm down to the Elite 50 and the Sony 50. I saw them both next to each other today and both had an excellent, identical picture to my eye.

I like Sony's media box better - because of the media stick expansion slot (I have Sony digi cam).

BUT - Pioneer comes with a 2 - year warranty - Sony only 1 year.

GRRRR decisions decisions.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Between the two, I prefer the 1110.

The stick reader seems kind of gimmicky to me. I've rarely had reason to put my photos on the Tv, but if that is important to you, then there's a good reason. Of course, they both have inputs for computers, so if you have a laptop, it may not be a big deal.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My opinion, the Pioneer wins on PQ except for black level. That is a bigger deal for some than others. If it will bother you, get the Fuji.

I would look at the Sony a bit closer. It does have a very nice picture, I was very close to buying one myself but in my comparisons, I saw a real weakness in shadow detail with the Sony.

I totally agree about the advantages a Media box provides. You only have one cable and a power cord to the panel, everything else goes to the media box, so you don't need to run all the various feeds thru the wall.

That can really add up fast it you're using good cable and you have any distance to run. Plus, it's a mess.

The Pio does have an edge for the future with 2-HDMI inputs.

Anyway you go, your in the upper echelons of PQ with these choices.

Enjoy!

Edit:

re: the Stick Reader - I pop a picture CD in my DVD player and get the same results.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Is it also true that the Pio 1110-hd is the only plasma that can do Picture in Picture/Split Screen between two different television sources? One side can be an HDTV signal while the other side must be analog TV source.

All the other sets cannot do this. They can only PIP/Split Screen a HDTV signal and another input - such as a DVD player - not TV source. I'm a correct?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've been looking at these 2 (plus the new Panny) and just can't get used to the persistent green tint on the Pio. That and the superior blacks tilt me toward the Fujitsu.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I've had the 1110HD for almost 3 months now & I'm very pleased with the unit. There are NO greeen push issues, blacks are OK with me, but Fujitsu's are better. With Comcast, I now have one DVI connected, I don't have one yet, but the next purchase for me will be a DVI enabled DVD player. So media player with 2 connections will come into play. I also have a DVHS player & firewire is also enabled now with Comcast, so that connection comes into play. So from that prospective I'm pleased.

Now to my issues vs. Fujitsu

1) I've had two occasions to call Pio with questions & feel like I'm treated like a second class citizen, That bothers me. Heaven knows what they'll be like when/if I have a real problem. 2) Sometimes here lately when switching from an HD source to a SD source, the image is shifted a little to the left. I switch back to an HD source & quickly back to SD & the image is re-centered. Although this has only happened a couple of times, I'm watching closely. 3) The black bezel is REAL sensitive to scratches and must LITERALLY be handled with gloves on to avoid scratches and fingerprints.

I'd still get the Pio for the picture quality vs. price vs. connections vs. tuners vs. Fujitsu. If PQ, smaller footprint, & what I hear of Fujitsu's service were my issues, Fujitsu would be it

·
Registered
58 Posts
How do all of you think the Hitachi 42HDt50 stacks up against the Pio and Sony? Have not seen much about this unit on the forum.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.