AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm considering selling my beloved Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD soon and wondering what I should replace it with.

The Kuro is an amazing picture. I've never had any problems with it. I don't know if anything today even touches it, But I would think so as its been many yrs since its release .

Only reason I am considering is to upgrade to a larger display 65-75 but I do not want to lose picture/build quality to do this

on a side note what can I get for the 151 if I do move forward and replace it ? I still have all the boxes and everything it came with including the speakers unopened

Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts
I replace my Pioneer KRP-600M for a Samsung 64" plasma, from a Gen or two ago and the colors and the black are good, not as film like as the Kuro, but it was close enough for me to be some what happy.

If you can get your hands on a newerish Samsung, 8500 PDP I hear they're even better, but unfortunately Samsung stop making plasma panels as well.

Good luck

Djoel

·
Registered
298 Posts
So I'm considering selling my beloved Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD soon and wondering what I should replace it with.

The Kuro is an amazing picture. I've never had any problems with it. I don't know if anything today even touches it, But I would think so as its been many yrs since its release .

Only reason I am considering is to upgrade to a larger display 65-75 but I do not want to lose picture/build quality to do this

on a side note what can I get for the 151 if I do move forward and replace it ? I still have all the boxes and everything it came with including the speakers unopened

Don't replace it. If you can get another set and keep this Kuro, that's the best way to go. I have the same set - and got another one, a Sony 79", which is very nice but doesn't rival the Kuro. Nothing does, not yet anyway.

It is still the benchmark. OLED televisions of sufficient size simply cost too much, and have some issues still. The size difference means less than you may think.

I kept my Kuro when I got the larger Sony. If you can't do that, stick with the Kuro. You won't regret it. Prices will drop, and nothing on the market is better.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts

There is basically nothing out there now in the size you are looking that can touch the Kuro in terms of PQ now that plasma is defunct. The 65" VT/ZT from Panasonic and the 64" F8500 from Samsung were both good choices but they're long gone now. That being said, many of the newer 4k LCDs from Samsung, Sony and Panasonic look very nice-- I have been particularly impressed with the Panasonic AX800-- but don't expect them to best the Kuro when it comes to black levels, color saturation or viewing angles. Still, a larger display might make any ground lost in terms of overall PQ easier to swallow. Despite the opinion made in the above post size really does make a difference. It's one of the reasons we hang on to our obsolete DLP RP. :)

Alternatively, you could wait a bit for the new LG OLED sets to drop. OLED promises much better PQ than LCD or plasma but prices are still quite high and availabilty is also problematic.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I expect that you ARE going to lose build quality, no matter what you get.

I replaced my Pioneer 5010 with a Samsung 64F8500 (and stored the Pioneer in the basement as insurance).

My wife and I removed the Pioneer from the articulated mounting arm and carried it down to the basement, then we mounted the Samsung.

Handling the Pioneer was like handling a small Sherman tank.

Handling the Samsung was like handling a large Etch-a-Sketch.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
I expect that you ARE going to lose build quality, no matter what you get.

I replaced my Pioneer 5010 with a Samsung 64F8500 (and stored the Pioneer in the basement as insurance).

My wife and I removed the Pioneer from the articulated mounting arm and carried it down to the basement, then we mounted the Samsung.

Handling the Pioneer was like handling a small Sherman tank.

Handling the Samsung was like handling a large Etch-a-Sketch.
What does weight of the panel have to do with the quality of construction?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
What does weight of the panel have to do with the quality of construction?
Everything. Pioneers and the older Panasonics had much better build quality and were much more robust than any Samsung or LG, and were even better than the newer Panasonics. Built like a tank not only means built well, it also means heavy.

I can easily lift my 55" ST60 and even lighter 55" W800B LCD, but when i lift my much smaller but much heavier 42" PX50U or 42" PZ700U i'm really straining. But in the real world it's not a big factor once the TV is in place, just as with any other appliance or piece of heavy furniture.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Everything. Pioneers and the older Panasonics had much better build quality and were much more robust than any Samsung or LG, and were even better than the newer Panasonics. Built like a tank not only means built well, it also means heavy.

I can easily lift my 55" ST60 and even lighter 55" W800B LCD, but when i lift my much smaller but much heavier 42" PX50U or 42" PZ700U i'm really straining. But in the real world it's not a big factor once the TV is in place, just as with any other appliance or piece of heavy furniture.

What's your point? Is your St60 somehow less of a display than your old pz? Because, I'll tell you, my VT60 is much lighter than my old PZ and based on my experience thus far I'd say the newer television was engineered and assembled much better than the old. If weight is the factor we judge quality by I have an old 37" LCD I'd like to sell you-- that sucker weighs 75 pounds! ;)

So I'm to assume that I also made the wrong choice buying my car as it only weighs 2700lbs? When shopping I should always buy the heavier vehicle? Why aren't we all driving KIAs?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.