AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from my local Sam's Club and they got a Pioneer HDTV model SD532hd5 in stock for $2295. This is $1000 lower than 800.com's price. A 16:9 ratio TV and a spiffy ***** gloss wood finish for less than 2300 dollars. You will not find any 16:9, 53 inch HDTV for this price at CC or BB. The picture resolution also looks great even on their cable source (probably analog) picture. Sam's is not great for their picture display. hehe

Jerry

Edited to remove "piano", since it was of no value to the thread and was pointed out to be technically incorrect.

[This message has been edited by jerryez (edited 07-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
yeah, but the Elite is $6000...... yikes

I too piced up the P 532 at Sams and Love it.

Went for the ext Warr + 5 yrs for $124 what a deal.....

...now who do I contact for ISF calibration in Colorado?

·
Registered
899 Posts
There are 2 very important reasons why the current SD533 is better than the older SD532 and why, IMO, the SD532 is not such a good deal even at about $2K.

1. The 532's line doubler does not have 2:3 pulldown

2. The 532 locks into full mode when fed a progressive signal (not such a big deal if you have a scaling DVD player, but a true deal breaker if you want to use DVD players with the Sage-Faroudja or Silicon Image deinterlacing chipsets as these will not have scaling functions).

Just my 2 cents.

Glen

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
What the street price of the 533 .vs. the 532 ?

Can a decent PS DVD with 2:3 pulldown and scaling be had for the 533/532 price diff? If so this becomes a non issue for 532 owners.

Purchasing the 532 at $2300 from Sams in July of 2001 significantly imporved my DVD viewing experence in my HT...... as I was previously using a 32" 4:3 Sony set. My plan all along was/is to buy a PS DVD next year with true 3:2 pulldown and scaling to get around the limitations of the 532. Non-issue + added current use of a 53" 16x9 display for my current non PS DVD player.

party on,

rm

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GlenH
2. The 532 locks into full mode when fed a progressive signal (not such a big deal if you have a scaling DVD player, but a true deal breaker if you want to use DVD players with the Sage-Faroudja or Silicon Image deinterlacing chipsets as these will not have scaling functions).
Hello Glen.

Can you elaborate on this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
When feed a 480p signal via the component input it does not allow the use of the screen mode (zoom, natural wide, cinema wide). The solution to this is get a PS DVD player that does the scaling for you, thus eliminating this as an issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.