AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

First of all I am completely new to the HD scene. Just made first HD purchase and picked up the Pioneer 4280 and signed up for Verizon Fios. Everything is here now and hooked up. The box from verizon is their HD/DVR model and it is connected to the tv with a hdmi cable.

I've read through the 4280 sticky section but it seems a bit overwhelming for me to be honest, I get lost in that thread very easily.

Just have a couple quick questions on getting started with my new set-up.

1) I am in the break in period currently and did not download the calibration disc (kept getting blank disc). I have turned the settings down on the tv. I have it set on User with contrast on 15 and everything else at 0. Is that sufficient for the break in period. I also have it set-up so the picture takes up the whole screen. I did not adjust anything in the pro-adjust menu.

2) I read somewhere in the sticky about being able to check the hours on the tv, I tried the suggested steps and nothing happened. To frustrate me further I can not find the reply now that had the directions.

3) Do I need to change any of the settings on video section of my verizon box? I believe the box has options for 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Do I put it on 720p due to the fact that is what the tv is or leave it on 1080i?

4) When I go from standard def channels to HD channels or vice-versa the screen gets very distorted for about 2-5 sec. It splits the picture into two, half the screen is blank and there are fuzzy lines running across the distorted picture. After 2-5 seconds it is done. This does not happen if I go from HD to HD or standard to standard.

5) Lastly theres noticeable audio noise (fuzzy humming type) coming from the set that I can notice when the volume is low.

Any help, advice, or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I can only give you my take on the plasma display although I am a new 5010 owner and can only go by what I have been reading on this forum.

As far as break in I think the main thing is to keep it on full screen so you dont have the bars at the top or bottom during the intial break in. I set mine using D-Nice settings at the top of this thread. It is at the beginning of the Kuro settings thread.

I think the cable box will automatically pickup 480 720 or 1080 depending on what is being broadcast.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccopewterss /forum/post/12917630

Hello all.

First of all I am completely new to the HD scene. Just made first HD purchase and picked up the Pioneer 4280 and signed up for Verizon Fios. Everything is here now and hooked up. The box from verizon is their HD/DVR model and it is connected to the tv with a hdmi cable.....Just have a couple quick questions on getting started with my new set-up.

1) I am in the break in period currently and did not download the calibration disc (kept getting blank disc). I have turned the settings down on the tv. I have it set on User with contrast on 15 and everything else at 0. Is that sufficient for the break in period. I also have it set-up so the picture takes up the whole screen. I did not adjust anything in the pro-adjust menu.

You don't really need to use a break-in disc on these newer models - i think watching full screen content will age the screen sufficiently and i believe in breaking a TV in the way you're going to be using it. I'm not a big believer in turning down the contrast settings during break in either - i would think that you'd want to use a higher setting to age the panel quicker. With my PZ700U, i just watched the TV normally at normal settings (on the high side) and made sure to fill the screen and avoid black bars as much as possible, then at night or while i was at work i switched to a different picture mode with modestly reduced settings and let it run on DiscoveryHD. I did this for a few weeks then just started watching it normally from then on.

Quote:
2) I read somewhere in the sticky about being able to check the hours on the tv, I tried the suggested steps and nothing happened. To frustrate me further I can not find the reply now that had the directions.

Can't help you there, but if others can do it you should be able to as well. Usually someone is mistakenly pressing a key on the remote when in realilty the method says to press the button on the front of the TV instead, or some other silly thing like that. But it's not really imperative that you know the exact hours is it? It's not a big deal, and you can usually figure out your weekly average and just keep track of it in your head. There are a number of people here who have gone into the service menu to check their hours, and ended up pressing a wrong key or exploring areas they shouldn't be in and screwing up their TV's image. Be extremely careful in the SM if you go there, it's no place for civilians.

Quote:
3) Do I need to change any of the settings on video section of my verizon box? I believe the box has options for 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Do I put it on 720p due to the fact that is what the tv is or leave it on 1080i?

You should try different settings and combinations and see which ones you like best. On my 3 TVs, i prefer to set my STBs to output everything at 1080i only as this seems to give the most crisp and detailed picture. The 720p setting looks too soft and lacking in detail by comparison. Others prefer the softer 720p setting. YMMV. With a Pioneer, i'd be inclined to select 480i and 1080i and disable 480p and 720p. This worked great on my older 768p Panny PX50U.

Quote:
4) When I go from standard def channels to HD channels or vice-versa the screen gets very distorted for about 2-5 sec. It splits the picture into two, half the screen is blank and there are fuzzy lines running across the distorted picture. After 2-5 seconds it is done. This does not happen if I go from HD to HD or standard to standard.

This is caused by the cable STB when changing from an SD channel to an HD channel. The TV is just displaying the format change that the STB is doing. It's not a problem with the TV, and it won't hurt it. Pretty much all HDTVs do this (all of mine do) and it's normal. I eliminate this spaz attack by setting both my DVRs to output everything at 1080i.

Quote:
5) Lastly theres noticeable audio noise (fuzzy humming type) coming from the set that I can notice when the volume is low.

Well all TVs buzz to some extent if you get close enough, but if you can hear it from say 5 feet or more then that's excessive and the TV is probably defective. There is a Pioneer Buzzing thread here if you haven't already seen it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah, you should definitely check out the Buzzing Poll thread and comment there if you think you have the same issue. AFAIK, you'd be one of the first 4280 owners there to post a buzzing concern; seems like that model hasn't had as many complaints as the other Kuros.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies folks.

My prob right now is that my viewing distance is 8ft from my 4280 Kuro. I swear that the screen door effect is bad if not terrible from this distance . I'm wondering if a 1080p set would be better from my rather close viewing distance.

I just feel maybe I could be seeing a better picture from my limited viewing distance if i got a higher resolution set. Don't know if this make sense but please let me know anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccopewterss /forum/post/12926543

My prob right now is that my viewing distance is 8ft from my 4280 Kuro. I swear that the screen door effect is bad if not terrible from this distance . I'm wondering if a 1080p set would be better from my rather close viewing distance.

I just feel maybe I could be seeing a better picture from my limited viewing distance if i got a higher resolution set. Don't know if this make sense but please let me know anyway.

You must have great vision. I can't see SDE on the 4280 unless I'm within 2-3 feet. At 8 feet, the 4280 is an awesome picture, pretty even with my 5080HD.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccopewterss /forum/post/12926543

Acutually it makes perfect sense to me because i had the exact same problem when i set out to buy a 4280 last summer. I also see terrible SDE on the 4280 and other 42" 768p plasmas at my 8 foot viewing distance so you obviously have very acute vision like myself. I can't tell you how many people here proclaim that 1080p is "absolutely useless" on a 42" set unless you're sitting like 3 feet away but they seem to think that everybody has the same eyesight as they do, or they have no actual experience with the sizes and distances in question and just blindly believe the various charts and graphs out there that basically say we can't possibly be seeing what we're seeing (ie: SDE at somewhat farther viewing distances).

After reading the various Pioneer posts some months ago i was all excited to buy a new 4280 Kuro to replace my old SDE-riddled 42PX50 Panny. I had just re-arranged my living room and my seating position went from 9+ feet to exactly 8 feet and the marginal SDE on my 42PX50U suddenly became very visible and a huge problem. Some of the posters said basically that the Pioneer's better processing meant less chance of seeing SDE so i thought that getting a new Pioneer would eliminate my SDE problem, but when i finally got to see the 4280 at Magnolia and BB the SDE was just as bad if not worse than it was on my old 42PX50U at home! I was really disappointed and actually kinda pissed off because i really wanted to upgrade to a Pioneer.

So i went back to the drawing board and started reading up on 1080p. Up to this point i had been led to believe that 1080p was nothing more than marketing hype but when i actually went to see some 1080p plasmas i could really see the benefit at my viewing distances and was pleasantly surprised to see absolutely no SDE at my viewing distance, so it's not just hype afterall. I'm really glad i went to see this effect for myself instead of just blindly buying a 4280 and discovering that it looks like crap to me at 8 feet and having to return it. And i definitely would have had to return it had i bought one.

For this reason i ended up choosing the Panny 42PZ700U instead and i love it. Sure it doesn't have the deeper blacks of the Kuro, but the SDE would have completely ruined the image quality for me just as it does on my old 42PX50U, but the picture on my 42PX700U is fantastic and the black levels are plenty good enough.

While the majority of people here will not see SDE on a 42" 768p set at 8 feet, there are a number of us who do see it and for us it is a big problem. This is why i try to counter other people's assertions that 1080p is a waste on a 42" set because this is definitely not the case for some of us.

Can you move your seating position further back so you can keep the Kuro without seeing the SDE? If not, you should maybe go check out the 42PZ700U and maybe even the larger 50" model since this won't display SDE either at your 8 foot distance.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
On my 4280, wall mounted in my bedroom from a distance of 9', eyes to screen, i don't see SDE. Just about any closer than this, i do see it. This tv should be 1080p. I bet the replacement is. Excellent panel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts