AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in getting a sacd/dvd-audio combo player. The player will be used mostly for audio. I have a Polk satellite/sub system and am concerned about the bass management of the 45A. How is the audio on the player in terms of bass management?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SKoprowski
I am interested in getting a sacd/dvd-audio combo player. The player will be used mostly for audio. I have a Polk satellite/sub system and am concerned about the bass management of the 45A. How is the audio on the player in terms of bass management?
I believe that the Pioneer 45a has the exact same audio section as the 47ai. The differences between the units is in the video section. The build quality is also improved on the 47ai, which may or may not have tangible benefits. Having stated this, the reviews on the 47a and 47ai have been mixed. Most have stated that its DVD-A playback was very, very good, but many have felt that the 45a/47ai SACD was not up to par. This would stand in stark contrast to some reviews like Perry Sun's at Widescreen Review. He stated also stated that the DVD-a was superb, but was also very impressed with the 47a's SACD. He stated that the differences between it and the Sony ES SCD-XA777ES (their $3,000 reference player) were not instantly apparent. In fact, Perry Sun stated that he had to very deliberately "listen" for differences in order to hear any differences at all.


Based on reviews like that, the 45a/47ai sound like great stand-alone audio machines. Still, some AVS members have not found these units as capable on SACD as Widescreen Review. Good Luck and I would be interested in hearing more owner's suggestions.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
23,031 Posts
As I've stated in another thread, I have a 47ai. It is connected to

my Elite 49Txi via fireware (iLink). I have both DVD-A and SACD discs.

Both sound so very good compared to other formats. However, I have

nothing to compare it to (as in another DVD-A or SACD player). Without

the digital link, then you have to start worrying about the DACs

in the players and bass management, etc.


larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
I have a 45A and have enjoyed it, but like the poster above I have nothing to compare it to when it comes to DVD-A and SACD. There have been some posts, especially over on HTF, about the bass management on the 45A, which apparently is not everything it is supposed to be. I can report that I do have one DVD-A that is very bass thin with my bookshelf/subs combination. I think many people are finding that an Outlaw ICBM is a requirement for proper bass management.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
How is the picture quality of the 45A? It has been reported that it has the chroma bug.........do you see it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,118 Posts
SKoprowski:

I had the Pioneer 45a for a month earlier this year. I got better video from its 480i output than from its 480p and both were worse than I could get from my Toshiba 4700.


Like you however, I wanted the 45a for DVD-A and SACD. As others have indicated, the bass management left much to be desired. Unfortunately, the Outlaw ICBM addresses some bass management issues but not all (e.g., speaker distance for SACD). David Ranada (who was the one who initially pointed out bass management issues) has a great two-page article on bass management in the May Sound & Vision.


I returned my 45a because of Pioneer's horrible customer service - rude, didn't call back when they said they would, didn't respond to written concerns. I am waiting a bit longer and then, because of the lack of viable customer service, I still won't go with Pioneer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PooperScooper
As I've stated in another thread, I have a 47ai. It is connected to

my Elite 49Txi via fireware (iLink). I have both DVD-A and SACD discs.

Both sound so very good compared to other formats. However, I have

nothing to compare it to (as in another DVD-A or SACD player). Without

the digital link, then you have to start worrying about the DACs

in the players and bass management, etc.


larry
Larry - It makes complete sense to purchase the 47Ai if you have a 49TXi, as these units were built to be mated together. The only weakness of the 47 is that it contains 3 DACs, although they are good, whereas the Denon 2900 has 6 DACs of at least equal quality. Of course, this is of no consequence if the audio is being streamed out to a superior external decoder as in your case.


Quote:
How is the picture quality of the 45A? It has been reported that it has the chroma bug.........do you see it?
bnewt- From all reports, the Pioneer 45a and 47Ai have the same levels of the bug as their previous player. To some people, such as myself, it is frustratingly distracting, yet others state that they rarely if ever notice it. Maybe it is kind of like DLP rainbows???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mnilan


I returned my 45a because of Pioneer's horrible customer service - rude, didn't call back when they said they would, didn't respond to written concerns. I am waiting a bit longer and then, because of the lack of viable customer service, I still won't go with Pioneer.
I hate having problems with any equipment, but I can honestly say that I have never had a moment's trouble with Pioneer's customer service. I have owned many pieces of Pioneer equipment over the years(in fact 3 are still in my HT). They have been incredibly reliable, and the one time that I did need Pioneer's assistance, they provided it literally within the hour. In fact, I wish that Pioneer would build a CUE-free universal player with their previous-generation styling and build quality. If they did, I would be the first in line to order it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,118 Posts
yojimbo75:

I have bought Pioneer equipment for over 30 years but never needed customer service until I was trying to figure out the bass management with the 45a. Between AVS Forum and Home Theater Forum, there were at least two different "solutions" being offered. I tried to get Pioneer to help me choose and their response was incredibly rude. Further, I had two customer service managers say that they would call me back and neither of them did. After spending over four hours on the phone to customer service over two days, after waiting for two more days for their return calls, I wrote a letter to the corporate headquarters about the problem. I have received no response yet. That was in January. I gave up waiting and took the 45a back. I have purchased my last Pioneer product. Period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mnilan
yojimbo75:

I have bought Pioneer equipment for over 30 years but never needed customer service until I was trying to figure out the bass management with the 45a. Between AVS Forum and Home Theater Forum, there were at least two different "solutions" being offered. I tried to get Pioneer to help me choose and their response was incredibly rude. Further, I had two customer service managers say that they would call me back and neither of them did. After spending over four hours on the phone to customer service over two days, after waiting for two more days for their return calls, I wrote a letter to the corporate headquarters about the problem. I have received no response yet. That was in January. I gave up waiting and took the 45a back. I have purchased my last Pioneer product. Period.


I completely understand and if any company treats their customers that way, they should expect to lose them as a customer. Certainly, if any company I purchased from was so decidedly unhelpful, I would feel it was my duty not to purchase from the again. Still, this was not my experience with Pioneer. I got a very fast and definitive answering email in less than an hour after it was sent. The biggest reason that I have been a return customer to Pioneer is that with the many, many Pioneer products that I have owned, I have only had a single issue...they were of great assistance. In fact, the first two pieces of Pioneer equipment that I purchased(a tape deck and a CLD980) are still working, although they have moved to my brother's house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,646 Posts
I'm happy with the 45A. Unfortunately, I've no reference for comparison for the audio portion. SACD and DVD-A sound fantastic to me after I messed around with trim levels in my receiver to get the BM halfway working. What I did was set the outputs to "fixed" instead of variable. Fixed locks them all at +6, IIRC; strangely enough though, if you have it set to variable and set them all to +6, it is not as loud. So, I set them fixed, then tweaked on the individual channel trim for the multi-channel input on my receiver to take up the slack. My solution may not work for everyone.


A 45A with an Outlaw ICBM should take care of all the problems except for time alignment of SACD, IIRC, and come out to less than $650. -- For audio only, IMHO, that would be killer!


As far as the chroma bug, I've looked and looked, still haven't seen it on my TV with this DVD player. I did notice it with an older DVD player (JVC pos), so I know what it looks like.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top