Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Well the Poineer 47TX has come in and I must say it is a nice amp. At 63 pounds it's more than a handful, but man does it sound good. That said, now it's time to make it sound even better.

Its MCACC generates up to 90 separate EQ settings (9 per channel for 7 channels, plus 3 alternates for a "front-aligned" soundfield). These settings are all displayed on a setup check, but I'm having trouble trying to get to them.

After much futzing around I haven't found a way to manually adjust the EQ settings the MCACC comes up with.

Our room and speaker placement gets picked up really well, but after months of listening to the Paradigm coloration of a no-EQ signal we find the more-accurate settings of MCACC rather "thin". While half an hour of listening to the MCACC-generated settings makes the MCACC-off setting sound "boomy", I'd still like more control to even out the change a bit, tone down the high end, and bring back some fullness to the bass.

Is there a way to get to the EQ settings for manual adjustment?

Can the crossover simply be turned off? My speakers go down to 37 Hz, and the sub can cross over as low as 35 Hz. These match up better without the crossover (lowest it goes is 50) than with it.

I was able to correct much of the MCACC's percieved over-corrections by placing the speakers in odd locations for the MCACC calibration runs, then putting them back in place. But this is a bit inconvenient and still leaves a couple holes in the desired sound field.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
Bob -

The 3rd post in this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=243555

explains how to do a partial MCACC configuration on a 49TXi. From the menus

described, you can also do manual EQ adjustments.

Your 47TX may have a similar menu structure, so you may find these

instructions useful. I looked in the PDF of the 47TX manual, but I couldn't

find anything more specific for your receiver.

Maybe someone with a 47TX can give you some more help.

Dave

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave, thanks for the tip.

Looks like menu structure is similar to 49's. Doesn't look like it actually lets me into the EQ settings, just into different parts of the overall MCACC process. I can manually set speaker sets' presence & size, system crossover, and distances. I can't get to the 90 individual EQ settings, though.

Maybe that's a write-to-Pioneer issue, for the next firmware release.

Unless there's something I'm missing? ...

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
From what I have read in the past, you can't adjust the EQ on the 47TX.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I downloaded and looked through the 47TX owner's manual. Indeed, it seems that the 47TX provides no way of manually changing the EQ settings. This is surprising and strange, especially given that the 45TX allows you to do so under the Expert menus... :(

As for the subwoofer crossover, the following should achieve what you wanted: (1) Set the main speakers to "large"; (2) Set the sub crossover to 200Hz (or highest available) on the 47TX; (3) Set the subwoofer mode to PLUS on the 47TX; (4) Adjust the crossover on the subwoofer amp to the desired frequency.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The 45TX came out after the 47TX, that is why you can adjust the EQ on the 45TX.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bobdavisnpf

Can the crossover simply be turned off? My speakers go down to 37 Hz, and the sub can cross over as low as 35 Hz. These match up better without the crossover (lowest it goes is 50) than with it.
Wow 50 hz is pretty nice and low crossover, I wish mine went down that low. Most crossovers dont cut off like a stair, they are more like a 40 degree angle, so you should get down to the 37 hz level, albeit attenuated. I dont know if you can turn it off (flat).

·
Registered
227 Posts
If the 47 allows you to copy to two custom MCACC settings, it would be the copies that let you adjust EQ settings manually. I copied the All Ch Adj to Custom 1, and the Front Align to Custom 2 on my 49TXi and then I could go into those Custom modes and adjust all EQ settings manually. The 47 may only have 1 Custom to play with, but hopefully it is similar. If this doesn't help, and you want exact step by step instructions on how I do it on my 49, I can post again later when I can get to my receiver. I can't remember without looking. :)

Bob

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
I dunno BobDavis, the first paragraph on the top of page 41 in the 47TX

manual surely implies that you can change the frequency balance to

your liking (bass, mids, treble), but I don't see anywhere in the manual

that explains HOW to do it.

Maybe the other Bob (422) can come up with something to help you out.

Dave

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
BobDavis -

You might not wanna hear this. Juan might be correct in stating that

you have no manual EQ control with the 47TX.

I downloaded and looked at the 45TX manual. The menu structure

for the 45 is much like that of the 49. The only major difference I see

is that the 45 only has five bands, compared to the nine of the 49.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.