AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on "the list" for quite a while now for the Outlaw 950/770. I have no idea when Outlaw may deliver. I have about 3 weeks until I have to pull the trigger, no more than 5. Outlaw has a terrible track record for meeting deadlines, as many of you know.

It seems to me that folks on HTF love the Pioneer 49tx. It certainly has Outlaw outclassed with features and perceived usability and meets my requirements. Sonically, Outlaw seems to have the edge according to reviews by RAF and others. My local B&M will sell me the 49TX for about the same price at the 950/770.

Am I crazy for waiting on Outlaw, or should I go ahead an buy the Pioneer?

My usage will be about 50/50 for music and Home Theater. I have Divas, SVS and NEC-135LC PJ.

I hate to say it but SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) is ready to watch DVDs and am getting quite a bit of pressure to finish the HT.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
jacket_fan,

it depends on what's important to you. if sound is your number 1 priority, i recommend waiting for the Outlaw. if you are more interested in features, go pioneer. i have auditioned the pioneer and i must say it's a fine receiver, BUT it is no where near the same level as separates when it comes to sonics IMO. receiver amps just don't have the same amount of juice when compared to separate amp and the 49tx is no different. so as i mentioned, it just depends on what's important to you. for me it's sound quality since i only use DD, DTS and stereo modes so all the nice features of a flagship receiver never get used after the initial setup. good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
You will be hard pressed to out do this Pioneer. MOSFET is a sweet sound. Pioneer has had their ups and downs but according to everything I've read and heard on this model , I would jump. The features are much more than "sound modes." Power should not be a problem with this model. But bottom line...you've heard it at your shop. What did you think? Sound is my number one concern. I really liked it. To bad it's too far out of my budget.

Different ears hear different sounds. So I dont disagree with any advise anyone offers. Happy you have the choice.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
A friend and I were talking about the Pioneer the other day. I agree that the room calibration feature sounds pretty good, but since you don't use it that often, an SPL meter and Avia works fine for me. It has every other feature they could throw at it. I have had a ton of Pioneer gear including the Elite stuff, and it has been enough trouble that I will try and steer clear of it when possible. The Outlaw sounds intriguing though. A pre pro with all the most practical features that for $900.00 can be upgraded in the future with out sweating the cost too much, plus the advantage of a separate amp section. I like the idea of it if they can make it work. The reports are mixed so far, but the expectation was set unrealistically high, so I think in most of the early reviews people are trying too hard to find it faultless. Some of the more objective reviews are starting to come out that expose a few warts. For me, I think the 950 will be perfect. It doesn't do everything, but it surely does enough. I hope to be getting mine in few days.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The 950 is nice but if I were sticking with seperates I would go with the Sony TA-E9000ES (and maybe the TA-P9000ES add-on pre-amp if needing SACD and/or DVD-A). Feature wise the Sony is far more robust (minus HD video switching) and Sony has proved itself with upgrades (that the user can do) with both bug fixes and new features and improvement in sound quality. Pair up the Sony with a good power amp like the ATI 1505 and I believe you could still give the Outlaw a run for it's money.

For a receiver the Pioneer VSX-49TX has really got a lot going for it. Build quality is so much higher than the Outlaw 950 so we won't even go there. Feature wise the Pioneer just wins all around (user definable input labels, 9 band EQ per channel, video conversion, number of inputs, THX sound modes, remote, etc). Yes you won't be using the auto calibration system every day ... but it works so well and makes everything sound so clear and well balanced that this feature alone makes having hi-fi gear worth while - GREAT SOUND QUALITY ! Lastly is styling and the sheer lack of it from any Outlaw product. The Pioneer has a nice style and the black glossy finish looks so nice (especially matched up with Diva Swans).

These are just my feelings as everyone has their own tastes. :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Why don't you consider a hybrid system where you use the Pioneer as your pre/pro and gradually replace its amp section with separates? This would seem to give you the best of both worlds. You might first get a good two channel dedicated amp for your mains. With Pio's Auto Calibration, all your channels will be perfectly matched. The amp will relieve the receiver's amp section from having to drive all your channels at reference. If and when you decide to go multi-channel music (SACD,DVD-A), you toss in a 3-channel amp for your center and side surrounds, leaving the Pio to drive only your rears. Or a 5-channel to handle your center and all your surrounds. I'm not that hot on 7-channels as I think they're compromised from a design standpoint and are certainly less easy to sell as you move up the ladder. Again, the Auto Cal will synch everything up for you. One advantage of this approach is that if you ever have a problem with one of your dedicated amps, you can fall back to using the Pio amps while your dedicated is being repaired. Finally, if and when the "killer" pre/pro comes out (Denon is rumored to be developing two of them), you're all set. Keep your amps, sell off the Pio (should be easy) and snag the latest and greatest! FYI and good luck.

Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by jacket_fan
Am I crazy for waiting on Outlaw, or should I go ahead an buy the Pioneer?

My usage will be about 50/50 for music and Home Theater. I have Divas, SVS and NEC-135LC PJ.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I received an email from Outlaw today about my 950 order status. All oredrs through Jan. have been shipped. February and March orders should ship the first week of June. April and May orders will ship by the end of June.

This is very good news indeed. Hang in there JacketFan, you've waited this long what's a few more weeks.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Does the 49TX use the same plastic faceplate the 37TX uses? The 37TX I had for a while looked and felt like a kids toy. It broke too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.