AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given price is the same, which would be my best bet for display device? Light is not an issue and I plan on limmited video game usage.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If you have them whittled down to those two then just read the threads on both and they'll answer all your questions.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulclausen /forum/post/15586561

Thats kinda what i was thinking. Its a pretty rare sale.

I would probably have sprung for the 5020 if it was that cheap, but when I got my 46" 650 in October it was $1580, and the 5020 was $2600.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulclausen /forum/post/15586045

Its too hard to tell in the store. Is burn in much of an issue anymore on the KUROS?

Burn in is an issue for all plasmas. I also don't like the dirty whites on plasmas.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 /forum/post/15590055

Burn in is an issue for all plasmas. I also don't like the dirty whites on plasmas.

Burn in is an issue for all SED as well.........

And if you love ultra brightness then get an LCD. Otherwise plasma whites are just fine IMO.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just finish watching the 2nd half of NFC title game in Best Buy on the Samsung 650(same panel as the 750) and the Pioneer 5020.

The colors just looked better and more natural on on the 5020. As much as I try to adjust the 650 it just did not match the 5020 pop. This could be clearly seen in the Arizona Cardinals red unforms, where on the 5020 they were a nice deep or dark red in contrast with the 650 the red was just to bright and unnatural.

Also motion on the on the 650 was not has bad as everyone makes LCD out to be. But, sitting the 5020 next to the 650 and watching the same feed everything looked smooth and natural, where by the 650 at times would look harsh.

After seeing how good football can look on the 5020 I would get the 5020 no question asked.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox /forum/post/15590216

Burn in is an issue for all SED as well.........

And if you love ultra brightness then get an LCD. Otherwise plasma whites are just fine IMO.

Until we have SED, we don't really know. I don't want deep blacks and dirty whites nor do I want bright whites and poor blacks. I want both, deep blacks and "true" whites.

Both= SED. However I will keep my eyes on the Panny neo's.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 /forum/post/15590374

Until we have SED, we don't really know. I don't want deep blacks and dirty whites nor do I want bright whites and poor blacks. I want both, deep blacks and "true" whites.

Both= SED. However I will keep my eyes on the Panny neo's.

Oh we know. Any pixel based light source (ie - no backlight) is subject to burn in unless the emitting material does not age.

You can spin it any way you like but SED will have just as much susceptibility to burn in as Plasma or OLED.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox /forum/post/15590516

Oh we know. Any pixel based light source (ie - no backlight) is subject to burn in unless the emitting material does not age.

You can spin it any way you like but SED will have just as much susceptibility to burn in as Plasma or OLED.

That's speculation and not fact. You don't know until you have a SED and it burns in.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 /forum/post/15590534

That's speculation and not fact. You don't know until you have a SED and it burns in.

It is science!!!! Sorry, but that is a fact.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macintoshse /forum/post/15590320

Just finish watching the 2nd half of NFC title game in Best Buy on the Samsung 650(same panel as the 750) and the Pioneer 5020.

The colors just looked better and more natural on on the 5020. As much as I try to adjust the 650 it just did not match the 5020 pop. This could be clearly seen in the Arizona Cardinals red unforms, where on the 5020 they were a nice deep or dark red in contrast with the 650 the red was just to bright and unnatural.

Also motion on the on the 650 was not has bad as everyone makes LCD out to be. But, sitting the 5020 next to the 650 and watching the same feed everything looked smooth and natural, where by the 650 at times would look harsh.

After seeing how good football can look on the 5020 I would get the 5020 no question asked.

I"m watching the Ravens v. Steelers on my Samsung 40A650 LCD, in a brightly lit room, I'm multi-tasking (going over legal documents, posting on the AVS forum, checking emails etc). My TV is looking great, blacks are nice and the whites are true whies on the Ravens jerseys.

If I was watching on a 5020 I would probably lose all the advantages that a TV like it has to offer in this enviornment.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox /forum/post/15590563

It is science!!!! Sorry, but that is a fact.

Its not a fact until you prove it. Until you have a SED that exhibits burn-in you are just speculating. Even scientist speculate.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 /forum/post/15590617

Its not a fact until you prove it. Until you have a SED that exhibits burn-in you are just speculating. Even scientist speculate.

I agree, until we can prove that SED lifetime is infinity or at least much longer than Panasonics 100,000 hours then we cannot say SED may burn-in. Of course, we then have to speculate that SED somehow has magical phosphors nothing like that of CRT or PDP

BTW, I am going by your definition of burn-in, in which all current PDPs have a problem with according to you??

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox /forum/post/15590216

+1

I am so sick of hearing people talking non-sense about dirty whites.

I see nothing but pure white on my Kuro.

Now, its not as bright as the Sun, but its plenty bright.

A 9G elite in ISF-Day mode can do 51fl while maintaning a calibrated picture.

Why would anyone want to go brighter than that in a normal home environment??

I just don't get it. Some need to get over this showroom torchmode mentality.

But still, if plasma can get brighter, I guess its a good thing. It can only help.

It will certainly help Plasma compete in the showroom to the first time buyer.

I wonder what reason some will use for chosing an LCD over a plasma once Plasmas get super bright??

There really won't be anything left for plasma to do better than LCD.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox /forum/post/15590642

I agree, until we can prove that SED lifetime is infinity or at least much longer than Panasonics 100,000 hours then we cannot say SED may burn-in. Of course, we then have to speculate that SED somehow has magical phosphors nothing like that of CRT or PDP

BTW, I am going by your definition of burn-in, in which all current PDPs have a problem with according to you??

I would never put a 7k set like a Elite 151 under the risk of burn-in. If I had such a set, it would never have a game console hooked up to it. You would never see static images left for a long period of time.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts