AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wanted to see is someone is having better luck then I am

getting a 5020 display without any dead pixels? Had 2 panels with dead pixels

and 1 panel had the glass broken. So I called Pioneer today to let them know about my fiscal and they tolled me it's normal for a panel to have a dead pixel
. One last try I guess and then I'm done with Pioneer TV's I guess theirs no quality control or Pioneer is cutting corners.

·
Banned
4,406 Posts
These are pretty rare occurrences. If the units were new and you run them for a while pixels usually clear up, try animated DVD's from Pixar.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes It's only one pixel in each of the 2 panels and unless the panel is perfect I will not keep it. Sorry I work hard for my money and I will not expect anything less then a perfect panel

·
Registered
5,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco77 /forum/post/14264572

Yes It's only one pixel in each of the 2 panels and unless the panel is perfect I will not keep it. Sorry I work hard for my money and I will not expect anything less then a perfect panel

did you get them locally through a bb or where? glad they keep trying to swap it out for you till you get a good one.

hope the fouth one is pixel perfect and no buzzer either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes I got it at futureshop like best buy in Canada and they have swapped them out, I really hope the my 4th panel has no dead pixels. Please TV Gods give me a perfect TV

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Got my 6020 from Robert @ ********************* and it also had Zero dead pixels.

Got my 5080 from Bestbuy and it had Zero dead pixels.

It is possible to get a dead pixel on a plasma.

The best advise I can give is to stop looking for one dead pixel. If you don't notice it without sticking your head one foot from the screen, then its not going to effect the performance one bit. But thats some hard advise to follow.

I shouldn't have even looked for any myself but its hard not to. lol

But really, One dead pixel out of over 2 million is a damn good pass yield.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have not noticed any on mine at this point. Might be one or more there, but heck if I can see anything.

Have owned my 5020FD for a week now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've had my 5020 purchased from Invision for almost 1 month now and no dead pixels for me! So far so good! Hope you can get things straightened out!

DJ

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco77 /forum/post/14264572

I agree 100% these panels coast way too much to accept anything less than a perfect panel. That said, it's not just Pioneer, all plasmas & LCD's that are produced will have some panels with dead pixels, and all companies will try and pass them off as "normal". Rather than do a good quality control check before shipping. They must find it more cost effective to change out panels in the field to only the people who complain, as surprising as it may be, there are people out there that won't complain.
I would keep making them bring you a new one until they get it right, the 5020 is a great panel, few better other than the Elites.

·
Registered
126 Posts
^ I absolutely agree. Pioneer is charging a bundle for a TV and it should be perfect, thats like a Ferrari arriving with a few horsepowers gone fishing...no no no, good sir, that won't do at all.

I guess I was lucky too though as my panel from Invision Displays arrived in mint condition with no pixels stuck and no buzzing issues. I suppose it's just that though, luck...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Luck is something that I seem not to have I just hope the next panel is perfect. I cant understand how some people can spend so much on a TV and be happy with dead pixels and then companies try to pass it as it's normal. Sorry Pioneer you want my money and I want a Perfect TV.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco77 /forum/post/14265292

yes I got it at futureshop like best buy in Canada and they have swapped them out, I really hope the my 4th panel has no dead pixels. Please TV Gods give me a perfect TV

Why did you decide to purchase a Pioneer Plasma. You said back in March, that you got rid of a Pioneer set, because of IR issues with gaming. Did I misunderstand what you were saying when you wrote the following?

03-21-08, 05:20 PM # 2059 | Link marco77

Man if they could just solve that problem I would not even look at LCD? Too Bad

the picture is a lot better for sure but I had a Pioneer Plasma before and sold it 6 months later because of the IR drove me nuts. I just don't get it how people say they play video games and their set does not have it and when I see it clearly even the new Kuro had the dvd menu IR when I went to see it that Futureshop.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stradaONE8 /forum/post/14267598

^ I absolutely agree. Pioneer is charging a bundle for a TV and it should be perfect, thats like a Ferrari arriving with a few horsepowers gone fishing...no no no, good sir, that won't do at all.

I guess I was lucky too though as my panel from Invision Displays arrived in mint condition with no pixels stuck and no buzzing issues. I suppose it's just that though, luck...

No more than comparable(yet still inferior) displays from other manuf.

But I agree that at least the Elites should be perfect due to the supposed more stringent QC.

I would not keep a new set with dead pixels either, but the buzz is something yopu'll have to leave the entire plasma tech to get rid of.

·
Registered
327 Posts
No model is perfect. It is not a PIO thing.

They all have known possible issues (buzzing, pixels, green fringe, blotching, judder, color push, etc).

If you have to have an absolutely perfect set or you are unhappy, you might be in trouble.

Most units are certainly quite satisfactory except for possibly a minor nuance or oddity that most people do not even notice at all and are not considered defective by the company.

Glass broken is obviously a warranted return, but likely had nothing to do with the mfr.

My first 5020 showed up with a forklift hole in side of box and was smashed.

Not PIO's fault.

Good luck.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco77 /forum/post/14267682

Luck is something that I seem not to have I just hope the next panel is perfect. I cant understand how some people can spend so much on a TV and be happy with dead pixels and then companies try to pass it as it's normal. Sorry Pioneer you want my money and I want a Perfect TV.

How long have you kept the sets? As someone else mentioned, pixels do come unstuck and there are procedures to accomplish that. Rather than swapping out set after set maybe it might be more worthwhile to give it whatever time the return policy for Future Shop is and see if it corrects itself.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco77 /forum/post/14264059

Hey guys just wanted to see is someone is having better luck then I am

getting a 5020 display without any dead pixels? Had 2 panels with dead pixels

and 1 panel had the glass broken. So I called Pioneer today to let them know about my fiscal and they tolled me it's normal for a panel to have a dead pixel
. One last try I guess and then I'm done with Pioneer TV's I guess theirs no quality control or Pioneer is cutting corners.

If you can swing it, return the TV and upgrade to an Elite model instead.

Theoretically, the Elite & Signature series have to pass more stringent quality control standards.

While manufacturers & Internet sellers want you to keep a "defective" TV, the B&Ms give you a 30-day money back guarantee.

Most often, pixels are bad out of the box, cannot be revived/unstuck and when operating properly, will not fail over time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts