AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay a final hand holding session. If I purchase the pioneer 503cmx from dell with the video card I will be able to hitch my cable coaxial Into the unit and watch non hd broadcasts with nothing else to buy?I will be able to connect my component cords from my dvd player that are now in my sony wega into the unit with no problem(I hear a lot about bnc connections which I know little about-If i need them do they fit right on the component cable or do I have to buy a new component cord? And finally am i nuts to buy a 50 inch plasma from pioneer when my viewing space to the screen is about 6 inches--Will I see pixels and hear fan noises? Thanks for putting up with my no brainer questions but this is all so new to me I just want the best damn non high def picture i can get for my dvds and cable broadcasts of non premium channels. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Mattg3,

People hear don't mind answering your questions, you have posted numerous threads in the past few days (which is ok), and people have done just that. May I suggest that you do the honor and maybe go back to your previous threads and at least thank the folks who gave their time to help you. People will remember that and will be more than happy to continue to help you.

Dave

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mattg3
And finally am i nuts to buy a 50 inch plasma from pioneer when my viewing space to the screen is about 6 inches--Will I see pixels and hear fan noises?
If you sit that close you'll see your eyes reflecting back at you:cool:

Harley

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Yes, sitting that close you'd definitely have to worry about burn in...... of the eyeballs :eek:. And you'd for sure see the pixels.... but not the ones at the sides of the screen though :). And if you happen to get one of the units that buzzes you might even feel it from that distance....

Seriously though, some would say that 6' is probably too close especially for SD viewing.

ron

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Dave for the advice I also need to learn to type since I was telling peopleI was going to sit 6 inches from the set and i meant six feet Matt

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 503CMX and we have two rows of tiered seats. The first row is 8 feet from the screen, the second row is 12 feet from the screen and it works well for us.

If you go to *******************.com they will tell you that the 503 can be viewed from as little as 5 feet. They say that the 503/Elite1000HD is the first plasma display that can do this. I suggest you go to a dealer and see for yourself.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Maybe the cheaper Pioneer 433CMX would be a better choice for your 6foot distance, it uses the same video cards as the 503. By the way, with the 5002 video card you won't be able to just hook up a coax cable (RF antenna/cable) input since that requires an analog TV tuner, you can use a VCR for that.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
mattg3:

Just to cover a couple of your other questions.

To connect your DVD player, you need 3 RCA to BNC adapters or a new component cable with BNC’s at one end and RCA at the other. You can buy adapters at Radio Shack. Most people recommend getting the proper cable and not using adapters, but you can try them first, as they’re relatively cheap.

Fans in the 503 never turn on. Some people report a buzzing sound from the back of the panel, which seems to vary by unit.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
...If I purchase the pioneer 503cmx from dell with the video card I will be able to hitch my cable coaxial Into the unit and watch non hd broadcasts with nothing else to buy?...
No, not your rf coax since the monitor has no tuner, but I assume your cable box has composite (single phono plug outlet), component (3 phono plug outlets) and/or s-video (s-video plug outlets, duh) as well, and any of those will work fine.

Quote:
...I will be able to connect my component cords from my dvd player that are now in my sony wega into the unit with no problem(I hear a lot about bnc connections which I know little about-If i need them do they fit right on the component cable or do I have to buy a new component cord?)...
Your regular component cables will be fine if the run isn't ridiculously long. Just pick up three rca phono/bnc adaptors at Radio Shack -- they cost about $1 each and simply slide over the phono plugs on the part of the cable you are going to plug into the monitor. Jim Boden mentioned that a lot of people have proper cables made with phono plugs on one end and bnc connectors on the other. My own view is that cheapo radio shack adaptors do the job just fine and I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference -- my high definition signals coming from the cable box to the monitor via component cable with bnc adaptors on one end look stunning -- but this is similar to the normal debate audiophiles and HT enthusiasts have about regular speaker wire and connectors versus more esoteric ones -- you'll see a lot of angry threads on that subject! Jim is right that you should initially go the cheap adaptor route and see what you think. If you want to experiment with new cables later, that's fine; they are not horribly expensive in any event, just IMO unneccessary.[/b][/quote]

Quote:
...And finally am i nuts to buy a 50 inch plasma from pioneer when my viewing space to the screen is about 6 inches--Will I see pixels and hear fan noises?....
I sit 8 feet away from my 503cmx and it looks just fine. 6 feet is getting pretty close, but I don't think you will see incidividual pixels, but you may see some more imperfections and in any event in may be a bit close geometrically. Raybo67 is right that you should be sure to go to a dealer or a friend's house and check this out before you buy. As for fan or other noises, I never hear anything from my 503cmx. But note that there are some posts about individual units that buzz a bit.

Quote:
...I just want the best damn non high def picture i can get for my dvds and cable broadcasts of non premium channels...
Join the crowd. And most people who have the 503cmx are convinced it delivers the goods! By the way, why do you restrict your wish list to great non-HD? I assume your cable compnay either currently does or will sometime in the future begin to carry HD, and the difference is amazing!

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Jim and alan Every day im learning more fro this forum which sends me in different directions.Im now thinking of buying the tvp-1000 however now I will need another component cable for my dvd.As for the other answer I dont have a cable box to save some money since I dont subscribe to any premium services---Thanks for all the advice

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Even if you rent the cable box for a couple dollars a month, it would take more than 10 years to pay for the TVP-1000 if all you want is an analog tuner!

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes Im terrible at math but you also get pip and other things promised in another thread on tuners but it sure does seem like a lot for a tuner

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Sure if you think those other features beyond the tuner are worthwhile for you and worth $700, OK. But if you would be satisified with just a tuner, save the money. New model and more advanced cards for the Pioneer are coming out early next year, so you might want to use the cheapest one for now and upgrade later.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Best idea yet thanks don

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.