AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im almost sold on the pioneer 503cmx but the idea of going this far and using a vcr as a tuner leaves me unfulfilled.Anyone buy a 503 from dell with the tvp-1000.It seems to go for about 900 and is their a cheaper or better way of going about this?Will dell install the tuner into the 503 so I am ready to go from unpacking?As a not very high tech guy I fear doing anything to my unit but turning it on.Any advice would help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Matt, I was just to ask the same question. I'm about to order the same thing through Dell. FYI my price is 5900 includes tuner card, no tax, no delivery and 1 year extended warranty. If you don't mind, can you tell us your deal, always nice to know on a sizable purchase if the deal is right?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Well, for cable or satellite, the cable or satellite tuner is all you need so you can just go with the 503cmx with the 5002 card that Dell ships it with. But I gather you are saying that your signal is plain old over the air with an antenna rather than cable or satellite? In that case, you'll need a tuner. But there's no reason to spend $900 on an internal tuner card! You should be able to find a simple tuner box cheap (less than $100) at Radio Shack or a similar store.

But, if you're going to be watching over the air channels, consider whether in your location you can receive high definition tv (HDTV) -- CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX (sort of) and PBS are all broadcasting HDTV over the air in a large part of the country, and if you can get any of those HDTV broadcasts, the picture will completely blow away anything else you might show on the plasma (vastly better than even a good DVD source). In order to get HDTV and decode it for your plasma, you would need an HDTV 'set top box' (which is a combination tuner and HDTV decoder). That would run you about $500-$700 (last time I checked), but you would not need a separate tuner or a tvp-1000 card since the set top box is itself the tuner (even for standard broadcast stuff). If you're interested, you can spend some time at the HDTV part of this forum ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=25 ) to see which boxes people are currently recommending.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I confused you and myself.I have cable but no premium services so basically your saying I can hitch my cable line right into the supplied tuner pioneer puts in the 503cmx and Im set to watch cable on the plasma with no other purchases needed?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mattg3
I confused you and myself.I have cable but no premium services so basically your saying I can hitch my cable line right into the supplied tuner pioneer puts in the 503cmx and Im set to watch cable on the plasma with no other purchases needed?
Sorry. Here's the deal: the 503cmx in its naked state comes with no special internal card, and can only be used with a PC. But pioneer makes a card -- which it calls the 5002 card -- that slips into a slot in the 503cmx and allows it to receive componant, s-video or composite signals from your cable box. And when Dell advertises its 503cmx monitor, that includes the 5002 card.

Unless your cable box is completley antiquated, it will output at least one and perhaps all of those signals. You can tell by looking at what the cable box outputs are: is it just a coax for plugging into your tv channel 3, or is there also a phono plug outlet for composite, and maybe another 3 phono plug outlets for component, and maybe an s-video outlet for, well, s-video? If you've got any of these outlets, you can plug them directly into the 5002 card that comes installed in the 503cmx when Dell ships it to you. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scottfred
...FYI my price is 5900 includes tuner card, no tax, no delivery and 1 year extended warranty....
Are you sure you mean 'tuner card'? I think Dell ships the 503cmx with the 5002 card, which is not a tuner (you would instead be using your cable or satellite box or an external set top box as teh tuner).

As for the price, Dell is currently advertising the 503cmx plus video card for $6572. But Dell often issues coupons for 15% off on peripherals if you look for them (they always seem to get reported on this forum, so if you watch for them you should find them from time to time). And occassionally you can find 10% 'stackable' coupons that work on top of that 15% off, so you can potentially get 23.5% off of $6572 (23.5% is 10% off of the 15% discounted number).

But if you really mean the 'tuner' card rather than the 5002 card, then that would be more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
mattg3,

The TVP-1000 is not just a TV Tuner card, as most people refer to it.

It has a built-in scaler, it has various Hi-res vs Video PIP funtions and a built in TV Tuner. It also comes with a remote to control descrete functions/selections making it easier to use. We also incorporated all the Pioneer remote functions on the Aurora IRC-1 controller so that you only need one remote.

There are other ways to watch TV on the plasma as described by asinshesq, but if you want to supercharge the plasma display, enhance the PQ and have more fun in the long run, then go with the TVP-1000.

I would be more than happy to assist you in setting up/configuring the plasma, TVP-1000 card. I could also make recommendations on your cabling and other source hook ups. I've assisted many people from this forum.

Sincerely,

Michael Ferrer
[email protected]

·
Registered
331 Posts
I donot think the TVP-1000 has a DVI-HDTV input. does it?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Micheal,

Would you please elaborate on

"supercharge the plasma display, enhance the PQ and have more fun in the long run, then go with the TVP-1000"

How different would it be compared to a good quality HDTV receiver say the Hd-200 by sony

·
Registered
54 Posts
dmamsa,

Please see link, if you have not seen it. http://www.auroramultimedia.com/_pro...000/index.html

(I apologize that our literature does not do justice to all the capabilities of the TVP-1000 card.)

Let me elaborate. The Pioneer plasma with the TVP-1000 card enhances the PQ, gives the plasma more features- VGA/Component Input, S-Vid, Vid, TV tuner. (PAL & Secam TV Tuner versions are available). The HI-resolution vs Video PIP really has to be seen to be appreciated. You can do side-by-side, single PIP (variable size, position and even transparency), multi-tile modes (up to 16 PIP windows/ 16 diff TV channels using the TV Tuner input).

The TVP-1000 is also firmware upgradable. The latest (ver 1.18) is available on Aurora Multimedia's website. We are working on 1.21 - this will include more PQ enhancements (mostly composite video tweaks), more aspect ratio controls and a few menu changes to make it easier to use. (Thanks to all forum members who have contributed/suggested ideas!!! Keep em comin!)

As requested by many forum members, we are in production of the TVP-1000+. This will have a DVI-HDCP input, RGBHV/YPbPr, Dual S-Vid/Video, Dual TV Tuners. (PAL and Secam Tuners will also be available.) We will try to show the TVP-1000+ at CES (Pioneer's booth). Targeted shipping date is late Feb.

Unfortunately, I cannot compare the Sony HD200 with the TVP-1000 since the Sony is an HD Tuner. We are developing and ATSC/QAM unit called TVP-1000HD. It will have all the features of the TVP-1000+ as well as the HD Tuner. This is scheduled for late next year.

Anyone needing assistance/recommendations on hook ups to Pioneer plasmas with TVP-1000 (Sony HD200 or any other SAT/HD tuner) give me a ring. I know I've assisted many HD200 users already.

Thanks!

Michael Ferrer
[email protected]

(732)591-5800 ext 206

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Unless you are looking to add DirecTV, the HD200 won't do anything for you. I still think your best bet is the TVP-1000, if for no other reason than it provides a direct connection between the tuner and the scaler/de-interlacer circuitry. This will provide the best possible PQ with basic cable (i.e. -- no STB...).

-- Gary

·
Registered
331 Posts
Micheal,

Thanks for the reply-the features that you mentioned are not that important to me at this point. I was looking for a DVI-HDTV compatibility..I guess I will wait for the + card.

thanks again

·
Registered
781 Posts
Will the TVP-1000 work with the 433CMX also?

Sorry if that's a dumb question...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.