Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

How do you 503CMX owners watch 4:3 content? I watch it fully zoomed to reduce the risk of burn in, but I wish I could watch the image in original proportions.

I receive HD and SD through a Dish Network 6000 receiver, connected via 15-pin VGA to input 1 and via S-Video to input 3. This way, when necessary I can switch the receiver to SD output, and the Pioneer to input 3 and watch in 4:3 mode. How serious is my risk of burn in along the edge if I use the wobbler in this mode?

Assuming I don't like watching distorted images (women tend to look a lot fatter!) is there another option? Is it possible to achieve less distorted images through an external processor or card other than the PDA-5002? Can I crop the 4:3 image and zoom it to 16:9, losing some edges but preserving scale?

I read about Panasonic's "just" mode, but do not know what it means. Is there a similar mode on the Pio?

Thanks.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I watch in WIDE mode which is comprable to Panny's JUST mode. I don't even notice the distortion. If I flip on tennis, I sometimes switch to 4:3 or zoom so the lines don't bend at the edges.

You can crop via the integrator menu to give you something not as extreme as ZOOM but more proportional. Increase the vertical size. The bigger you make it though, the more that will be cropped.

All that to say, I wouldn't worry about burn in with 4:3 mode if you're watching some things full screen as well.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Wide, wide, wide!!! Zoom looks awful for normal 4:3 sd material, but wide looks quite good.

FYI, here's what wide does as a ciompromise:

1. It zooms a little bit (so that a small piece of the top and bottom get chopped off but not nearly as noticieable as in zoom mode).

2. Since the little bit of zooming is not enough to stretch the picture horizontally to fill the screen, it then stretches the picture horizontally. But the trick is that it stretches non-linearly -- the middle third of the picutre (where most of the action is) is left pretty much untouhched and the outter edges on both sides are stretched a bit more to compensate.

When you describe it this way, it sounds like it would look terrible, but in fact the distortions are barely noticeable. I watch pretty much all my 4:3 material this way.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Another vote for WIDE viewing of 4:3 material, the distortion is not noticeable anymore after a few months of usage. Zoom mode was ruled out in my house unanimously after the first few days.

I'm so used to wide mode that sometimes the 4:3 HD local channel broadcasts seem a bit "unnatural". This is via a Mot 5100 STB.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
If I recall, the Pio places a 4x3 image in a slightly different position each time so as not to create a burn in at the image edge.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sdf777
If I recall, the Pio places a 4x3 image in a slightly different position each time so as not to create a burn in at the image edge.
I think you're jsut describing hte 'orbiter' mode that you can turn on in the integrator menu.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another alternative is to rely on your HDTV Tuner. I use the Zenith SAT520 for OTA HDTV and Cable SD (DirecTV will be next). With SD channels I use the 520's Panorama mode to fill the screen. It looks better than Wide and much much better than Zoom.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Input 1 can only be seen in "WIDE" with 1080i inputs, correct?

When will TV switch fully to 16:9?

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.