AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have a 503CMX, I need to decide how to get the most out of it. Currently, I have the display, 5002 card, and the stand. The display and stand are keepers, but there are some other options I'm considering:

1. Keep the 5002 or replace it with a TVP-1000 from Aurora Multimedia? The TVP has dual tuners with PIP, S-Video, and another RGB. I've downloaded the manuals from their web site, but nothing beats real world experience if anyone has tried this out. I'm using a Viewsonic VB50 as an inexpensive tuner for now.

2. Calibrate the display professionally or keep fooling around with the service menu myself? It's straightforward to improve the contrast and colors from the factory defaults, especially by copying some of the settings that were mentionned in the archives. But can it get much better with professional calibration or will I eventually get there anyway if the unit is tweaked enough?

3. Replace my current Panasonic DVD RV-80 or get a new progressive DVD player? I'm relucant to invest the money in a mod because the last DVD player died after just a little over a year. On the other hand, the SDI mod is supposed to be the way to go.

Any input or experiences from people regarding the above would be appreciated. I'm most interested in the first since I can read about 2 and 3 in the archives, but it would be good to hear from anyone with more current information with respect to the 503.

- Chi

·
Super Moderator
21,502 Posts
my advise:

The sources are all important

get a good Progressive DVD player: the Panny RP-56 is under $200.00(without the SDI mod which is NOT needed)

ISF calibration is the way to go, but if you don't want to spend the money, get Avia and be sure grey scale is adjusted properly

I have not seen any comments on the Aurora board

Mark

·
Registered
674 Posts
Do you have or are you intending to have a HTPC? If so, the DVI in on the PDA-5002 is a great input to use for your display (assuming you're taking a DVI out from your HTPC). The dual tuners is interesting but those aren't HD tuners are they? If they are, then I'd say go for it. If not, watching 'normal' tv on two channels isn't all that appealing to me.

I'm absolutely determined to do the calibration myself, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

Don't know what to tell you on the DVD player, I purchased an SDI and SPDIF modded Panasonic DVD RV-30, which might be overboard for you but who knows?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
llogan: I intend to put a PC in there, but I'm not sure whether I'll count on using it as an HTPC. Previously, I used an HTPC with a projector about a year ago. The image was stunning, but the sound and ergonomics was lacking in comparison to a simple DVD player. Maybe things have improved and I should look into it again.

Although we watch the occasional movie, most of the time it will be used for TV. Going with Mark's comment that the source is all important, perhaps we should consider digital cable as a low cost upgrade. Does digitizing the last mile help much in providing a cleaner picture?

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Chi,

To get dot by dot native rate you need the 5002 & DVI as I understand it.

You may also want to adjust your refresh rate per other 503 threads.

Tim

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I have the PRO1000HD, same as the 503cmx.

I have purchased the VB50 just to use it as a tuner source but it turned out to be VERY disappointing. If you mainly watch TV, get yourself a high quality tuner such as a JVC svhs player.

I have digital cable as well as analog, and I prefer the analog image most of the time, providing you have a clean system. So your first step should be a good tuner.

2) calibrate your unit

3) get a good progressive player such as panny 62 or upcoming philips 962 (has the C bug but should be ok).

MAB

·
Registered
182 Posts
I used a Radeon based HTPC on my Pioneer 433HD (uses same box as 5030HD). The image quality was OK, but the details were lacking.

I therefore tried the new H/K DVD 25 with progressive scan etc, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Not only did the details pop out, the sound was much better!! (used SP/dif optical from PC). It actually also seemed as if the black were much better too... I turned the brightness to -3, and cranked the contrast up a little, resulting in seemingly lower absolute blacks! I do not know if this is a correct assessment, but the image quality is now much more enjoyable. I use component cables (RGB).

A good DVD player with component out and progressive scanning seems it if you are using a plasma. With my Barco Graphics 808s CRT projector, the image seems better with a HTPC... I have no idea why, but perhaps the box that comes with the HD Pioneers have to low bandwidth or something.

The story might be different with DVI and a CMX... The sound issue is a absolute, though. Ergonomics are also better with a normal DVD. I will keep my HTPC for gaming, but it will no longer be the source of my DVD playback!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I don't know how big your budget is, but for the sake of argument, let's say it's big -- really big. Calibrate the thing after you either go DVI, or get a phenomenal DVD player like the Ayre which one forum member has told me equals or is extremely close to a pure digital path in his opinion. The advantage of going the Ayre route is simplicity, of course, a not inconsiderable thing in this life -- even this hobbyist life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.