AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Pioneer 503CMX with the video card. However, the more I read, the less I believe I need the card, as follows:

Scalers, Progressive DVD, HDTV STB, etc can connect to the RGB/Component connections #1 and 2. If I really need s-video or composite, I would be better off putting the $500 cost of the card toward a scaler, and using the multiple inputs from the scaler, not the card.

Nowhere do I see that the card does anything to help the PQ/Scaling, etc of inputs #1 and 2. That being the case, why spend the money for the card?

Am I missing something?

Thanks

--Caleb

·
Registered
181 Posts
The card enables component video on those BNC connectors.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Without the card, the plasma can only accept signals in the PC frequency range so unless you can feed it with a PC signal then you need the card.

Here is a short extract from the 503 manual :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the PAD-5002 is not installed, the PDP-503CMX/PDP-503MXE will not handle the following functions.

INPUT 1,2

• Component video signal

• RGB signals from AV devices other than PCs

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The list of what it will not handle is much longer, but that part covers your question.

Mark

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...oh, I see. So even with a scaler, (such as the Leeza, Faroudja NRS, or better Focus models) fed via the 503's RGB input #1 or 2, I would have this problem? Or would the scaler solve this?...I think your answer was "no".

I previously called Pioneer and they said the card had no effect on anything I connected to input #1 or 2. Is this another case of bad advise from tech support?

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
ccclapp:

Mark's advice is correct. You need the 5002 card to use a scaler or any non-PC device, such as component inputs from a DVD player. It's definitely confusing. The Pioneer documentation doesn't do a very good job of pointing it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.