Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

After the last post I had and the responses I've received I decided to go with the Pioneer 503CMX with a tuner card. Now my dilema remains to determine which card to get. I've attached a jpg of my expected configuration with the current equipment I have. It appears I don't really need a composite input to the plasma unless I intend to get an X-box. I don't have a game console yet, but am possibly planning on it.

The TVP-1000 has a composite input while it seems that the TVP-1000+ doesn't. At least this is what I understand. I've read through all the TVP manuals and brochures I could find. So it seems I'll need to get the TVP-1000. Does any one have any information that's different? The only thing it seems I'd loose with the TVP-1000 vs the TVP-1000+ is the HDCP. I don't think that's quite an issue yet, while the composite input may be. Is there any way to use a composite input on the TVP-1000+?

My other issue which is really a big one is the audio. I couldn't find ANY documentation that explains how the audio works between the Plasma and the TVP cards. I intend on getting the optional side speakers for the plasma so that I can just turn on the plasma by itself and watch TV through the tuner in the TVP-1000 card. How does the audio come out of the TVP-1000 card so that I can:

a) route it to the speakers attached to the plasma?

b) route it back to my receiver so I can listen to it on my stereo speakers if I wish?

Any experience with this would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ofer

·
Registered
344 Posts
Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't look to me that you need anything besides the Pioneer PDA 5002 card which is a lot less expensive than the Aurora TVP-1000. You can get the PDA 5002 card for between $165 to $195 and it (plus the 503CMX) offers the following 5 video inputs: VGA 15 pin sub D, component (with BNC connectors), s-video, composite with BNC connector, DVI (w/o HDCP).

One RCA to BNC connector comes with the 503CMX and 5002 card, so you'd have to buy 3 more RCA to BNC connectors for your component inputs.

Your VCR can serve as an NTSC TV Tuner and you would still have the VGA input left to plug an ATSC tuner into. Since you're running all of your sources through your receiver, why not connect your speakers through the receiver?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'm guessing you meant 'component' everywhere you said 'composite.' Actually, the TVP-1000+ does have a component input - the DVI cable that comes with it is a 'breakout' cable, which includes component connections. I believe there's an audio breakout cable for connecting the TVP-1000+ to your A/V receiver so you can get audio when you're using its receiver.

If you aren't interested in the PIP functions and the extra HD input of the TVP-1000+, you should check out Aurora's A303-HDCP card. It is similar to the PDA5002, except that the DVI port is HDCP compliant, and the scaler is better. (So they say.) No tuner.

Also, to be clear, the tuners on the TVP-1000+ are analog (NTSC) not digital (ATSC).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill,

One of the key features I'm looking for in the plug in card is a tuner. I realize it will be an NTSC tuner and not an ATSC tuner, but I'm not aware of any plug in cards that are currently ATSC tuners. Once those come out I'd probably have to swap out to an ATSC tuner with HDTV output. I'd like to set up the plasma so that it can run standalone without having to turn on the stereo at all, so that would require an embedded tuner and also audio that would feed to the speakers mounted on the plasma. This would allow me or more specifically my wife to use the "TV" without messing around with the receiver. This is also key since my wife is a light sleeper and if I'm watching TV late at night, I want the audio to come out through the plamsa speakers and not the receiver speakers.

Djs,

I'd like to have both component and composite input capability, since plugging an X-box or that sort of gaming system would have to go through a composite input. Is there a way to convert the composite output of an X-box to S-video or component? If I could do that then I lose the requirement for a composite input.

I'd still like to figure out how the audio output from the TVP-1000 or TVP-1000+ get routed so that I can connect it to both the speakers on the sides of the plasma AND to the receiver.

Thanks for the input guys,

Ofer

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hook up your X-box through the optional component adapter for HDTV input... looks MUCH better!!! This way you wouldn't *have* to go through composite...

Doc Rings

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by djs
If you aren't interested in the PIP functions and the extra HD input of the TVP-1000+, you should check out Aurora's A303-HDCP card. It is similar to the PDA5002, except that the DVI port is HDCP compliant, and the scaler is better. (So they say.) No tuner.
It is my understanding that the A303 card will have a DVI port, but, unlike the TVP-1000+, it will not utilize a breakout cable to also allow component video connectivity. That means it would be necessary to use the Pioneer monitor's component inputs, thus eliminating the the Aurora scaler on sources connected this way.

While the A303 would be an affordable option for owners of DVI-equipped set top boxes, this card would be of little benefit to those of us who don't have DVI output yet. Am I mistaken?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing you are about this card but a new DVD player started showing up on the forum this week with a DVI output and is getting good reviews and would be perfect for the A303 card.I think the DVD player is a BRAVO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still no answer to my original question.

I'd still like to figure out how the audio output from the TVP-1000 or TVP-1000+ get routed so that I can connect it to both the speakers on the sides of the plasma AND to the receiver.

Can anyone explain how the routing is done? I noticed in the Pioneer manual that it has connectors to put the left and right speakers directly into, though how the audio gets to these connectors or to a receiver is still a mystery to me.

Ofer

·
Registered
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Oferc141
Still no answer to my original question.

Can anyone explain how the routing is done? I noticed in the Pioneer manual that it has connectors to put the left and right speakers directly into, though how the audio gets to these connectors or to a receiver is still a mystery to me.

Ofer
When input 3 is selected for the TVP-1000 or TVP-1000+ the source that is selected from the scaler card is routed into the plasma. The TVP-1000 uses 1/8" mini stereo phono jacks while the TVP-1000+ uses a breakout cable with RCA Phono plugs. The A303-HDCP has an audio per video source as well as the TVP-1000+. The TVP-1000 shares the audio for vdieo and Svideo. The audio will come out through the plasmas 1/*' output connector as well as the built in speaker ports.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Also, to be clear, the tuners on the TVP-1000+ are analog (NTSC) not digital (ATSC).
I have been waiting for TVP1000+. Mostly for PIP and dual tunners. Still not sure if I need it. I am still new to all this stuff.

What does (ATSC) tuner give me that (NTSC) does not? Does it mean I cannot view any HDTV signal?

Is there a different tuner I should look at? So type of HD/OTA? and just get 5002 card.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeCane
I have been waiting for TVP1000+. Mostly for PIP and dual tunners. Still not sure if I need it. I am still new to all this stuff.

What does (ATSC) tuner give me that (NTSC) does not? Does it mean I cannot view any HDTV signal?

Is there a different tuner I should look at? So type of HD/OTA? and just get 5002 card.
The NTSC tuners in the TVP-1000+ would NOT work with HDTV via OTA or digital cable. You would need an HDTV receiver or HD cable box, which would connect to the DVI/HDCP input on the TVP-1000+. (They could hook up to the component or VGA input too, but then the HDCP support wouldn't do anything for you.) You can hook analog cable (or presumably an antenna) to the tuner inputs. Note that the PIP on the TVP-1000+ only allows one HD picture PIP'd with 1 or more SD signals, presumably from the analog tuners or s-video, etc.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks djs. I am slowly understanding more and more. Still fining it hard to decide. So far I am leaning toward just getting 5002 card and waiting for some "other" HDCP card or tunner.

Question: If I get TVP-1000 or 1000+ where would a connect VGA from computer? Does this go right to Pio plasma input?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Joe:

On the Pio plasma itself are Input 1 which is a VGA sub D 15 pin, and Input 2 which is component with 3 female BNC jacks. All of the other inputs (s-video, composite, and DVI) are on the 5002 card or the Aurora card.

Look at it this way - the Aurora basically gives you DVI with HDCP as opposed to just DVI on the 5002 card. It also give what Aurora claims is a better scaler than the Pioneer 5002 card for the input sources located on the Aurora card (s-video, composite, and DVI).

If you don't need HDCP right now, or don't feel you need a better scaler for the inputs on the Aurora card, you will probably do just fine with the 5002 card. PLUS, you can always upgrade to the Aurora card when you need its capabilities.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gehring
Look at it this way - the Aurora basically gives you DVI with HDCP as opposed to just DVI on the 5002 card.
Even better - the DVI on the 5002 isn't compatible with most STBs, only PC-style DVI signals. The DVI/HDCP on the Aurora card should work with STBs - that's one reason I want one.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
When I got my Samsung TS-160, I immediately plugged it into the DVI connector on the 5002, and scratched most of my hair off wondering why it would only work with 480p. :D

So this is something I always try to point out, because it is completely non-obvious.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.