AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just got my Pioneer 503MXE Plasma.I have a couple of questions for you guys and gals out there,any help much appreciated.

1.What settings for contrast are being used? I've tried an avia setup but setting contrast is difficult.It would seem the display will go high without any problems.The picture appears very bright,am i losing any picture detail? I'm a crt man so used to a dim picture!!

2.The power saver modes-standard,mode1 and mode2 affect the linearity of the picture brightness.However when i try mode 2(linear mode) turning up the contrast to get a suitably bright picture really doesnt produce good results.Its almost like the set stops you turning it beyond a certain limit.I found that contrast at -10 in standard mode produces a very bright picture.Is this too high or well within limits?.

3.Avia is an NTSC setup disc.Will these settings be accurate for PAL also?

I'm going to be hooking it up with a Far NR in due course so will report back my findings after getting used to no external scaler first.

Thanks for any help

Adam

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
what i do is look at the last two steps at the white end of the grey bars test pattern and turn down the contrast until you see the brightest bar just start to go darker, then turn it up until you see no difference between the brightest and next to brightest. in between those two settings should be close. for brightness, use the blinking black bars and set the level so the left bar just disappears.

you should feel free to tweak, since avia is not the end-all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim but when you pull up the adjustment for contrast the osd goes right over the area you are refering to at the bottom of the screen.Guess icould always change osd position though? (sure it'll tell me how somewhere in the manual!!)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey,

I have the 503 HDE (which probably won't differ much from your screen)

I used the THX optimode (since I don't have the avia disc), the thing really surprised me was that I indeed had to turn up almost the entire contrast.

Still, after that I watched parts of T2:ultimate edition and Road to Eldorado and they looked great. Doesn't seem like I'm losing detail, just gaining.

Still, I have a lot to learn about al this tweaking, but I know what I like and I'm not satisfied really quick.

I hope this helps you a little bit....

I just got my 503, I love the screen, it's awesome. But it needs work in the tweaking area.

E.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.