AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to imagine that many people who buy these TVs have never spent a single second reading AVS forum or similar and have nothing more than the manual to go on regarding the operation of their new set.

If the break-in period were so important, wouldn't Pioneer want people to know about it? Otherwise, they'd get all sorts of customer complaints (and probably lost customers).

Could it be that Pioneer pre-breaks-in these sets?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyronEnder /forum/post/0

I have to imagine that many people who buy these TVs have never spent a single second reading AVS forum or similar and have nothing more than the manual to go on regarding the operation of their new set.

If the break-in period were so important, wouldn't Pioneer want people to know about it? Otherwise, they'd get all sorts of customer complaints (and probably lost customers).

Could it be that Pioneer pre-breaks-in these sets?

There is speculation that sets from most companies are broken in before they are shipped these days, but noone has ever been able to prove that. As for the manual, (I don't have it with me at work), all I could find mention on is IR and burnin. I was talking with a rep on the phone when I first got my set, and asked what they suggested for breakin for fun, and all they told me to do was leave it in standard mode for the first 500 hours....that is a lot more lax then what we on the boards typically do to break in sets, now isn't it?
I still broke mine in "properly", but just thought it was funny that they would only recommend standard mode.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Breaking in a plasma has to do with evenly aging the phosphors, which you can do at basically any settings (whether all your pixels age fast or slow doesn't matter).

The problem arises when you have static imagery, or 4:3 content, 2:35:1 content, or gaming huds... Higher contrast/color/brightness settings supposedly accelerate aging, which means static images make those phosphors age quicker.... causing uneven wear.

If you run full screen, 100% moving images moving with no logo's, you can run it on torch mode.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.