AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following was posted in the Flat Panel General ... forum where it was suggested to post here also:

=====================================

Hello,

I'm not flaming nor do I want to start a which is better thread, I'm just puzzled about my experience that follows.

I finally decided on the Pioneer PDP-5070/1, but wanted to look one more time to make sure. So went to BB yesterday where the 5070/1 was right next to the Samsung HP-S5053. The feeds were the same, typical views of various subjects football, mountain scenes etc and my conclusion was that the Samsung was much sharper to my eyes then the Pioneer in every scene, which amazed me. For example you could see individual strands of hair on the Samsung and on the Pioneer it was sort of soft and not nearly as sharp.

I know that viewing at a store is not the best place to evaluate a TV but that's all I/we have available. If all things are equal and as far as I could tell they were, the Samsung offered me the sharpest picture. This is now a concern and I'm questioning my choice again.

Could it be that the Pioneer was incorrectly adjusted and could that adjustment be that far off?

I never considered purchasing a large ticket item on the internet but I was so set on the Pioneer (prior to viewing the above two sets) and because local BB and CC prices are not coming down much that yesterday I finally called all of the Forum Sponsors and was quoted large savings over the B&M's.

I really want the Pioneer but in this instance the Samsung was better, any thoughts?

What would make the Pioneer less sharp and softer?

Is the Pioneer a little softer overall?

Hay, I'm 74 and my eyes are not what they use to be but I could readily see the difference in the sharpness/softness I experienced yesterday.

Hell, I don't want to make a mistake this could be my last big ticket purchase???

I guess I just want to be talked into the Pioneer again but yesterday it was no contest.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

---Jerry---

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymac /forum/post/0

The following was posted in the Flat Panel General ... forum where it was suggested to post here also:

=====================================

Hello,

I'm not flaming nor do I want to start a which is better thread, I'm just puzzled about my experience that follows.

I finally decided on the Pioneer PDP-5070/1, but wanted to look one more time to make sure. So went to BB yesterday where the 5070/1 was right next to the Samsung HP-S5053. The feeds were the same, typical views of various subjects football, mountain scenes etc and my conclusion was that the Samsung was much sharper to my eyes then the Pioneer in every scene, which amazed me. For example you could see individual strands of hair on the Samsung and on the Pioneer it was sort of soft and not nearly as sharp.

I know that viewing at a store is not the best place to evaluate a TV but that's all I/we have available. If all things are equal and as far as I could tell they were, the Samsung offered me the sharpest picture. This is now a concern and I'm questioning my choice again.

Could it be that the Pioneer was incorrectly adjusted and could that adjustment be that far off?

I never considered purchasing a large ticket item on the internet but I was so set on the Pioneer (prior to viewing the above two sets) and because local BB and CC prices are not coming down much that yesterday I finally called all of the Forum Sponsors and was quoted large savings over the B&M's.

I really want the Pioneer but in this instance the Samsung was better, any thoughts?

What would make the Pioneer less sharp and softer?

Is the Pioneer a little softer overall?

Hay, I'm 74 and my eyes are not what they use to be but I could readily see the difference in the sharpness/softness I experienced yesterday.

Hell, I don't want to make a mistake this could be my last big ticket purchase???

I guess I just want to be talked into the Pioneer again but yesterday it was no contest.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

---Jerry---

Hey Jerry, what a coincidence, I went to my local BB yesterday and did the same thing cause I'm in the hunt as well. Except, I felt just the opposite. I thought the Pio5071 had a better picture than the Samsung. They both had the same HD content. I just thought the Pio had such a better picture. My guess is the settings might have been a little different. Then I saw another Pio5071 with SD content and I was amazed at the PQ. I liked the Pio5071 hands over the Samsung. Hope that helps. Mike.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

Today I went to a different BB. The two sets were not next to each other about 12 feet apart, had the same feed and again felt that the Samsung had the sharper picture.

Maybe my only answer is to visit your BB's (HA HA) where the Pioneer 5070 shines because in the two I have visited here in NJ the Samsung wins. Oh how I wish this was not the case.

Hopefully, you are correct and the settings were off but I still would like (need) to see one close up and set correctly. BB is the only B&M that have the 5070 on display. CC doesn't sell them and 6th Ave sells them but does not display them. Just found on Pioneers site more local stores that carry them and will get in touch with them tomorrow. The saga continues!

Glad you were impressed with the SD quality as that was one of the reasons I liked the Pioneer. I have heard that the SD on them is better then most. There are a lot of SD programs we still watch.

---Jerry---

·
Registered
732 Posts
Well Jerry, they're your eyes and your wallet that's gonna have to open wide and say "AAAAAAH" at the check-out counter, so go with the one you like the best. If the Sammy gets your motor runnin' better than the competition, then it's a no-brainer. During my research/reading/viewing period pre-purchase, I had a similar experience to yours - only I was comparing the Panasonics to the Sammies. In the end I went with the Samsung, and haven't regretted it one little bit.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Anyone ever thought of trying to calibrate the sets to see if simple adjustments reveal more information about what the sets might do?

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

Today I went to a different BB. The two sets were not next to each other about 12 feet apart, had the same feed and again felt that the Samsung had the sharper picture.

Maybe my only answer is to visit your BB's (HA HA) where the Pioneer 5070 shines because in the two I have visited here in NJ the Samsung wins. Oh how I wish this was not the case.

Hopefully, you are correct and the settings were off but I still would like (need) to see one close up and set correctly. BB is the only B&M that have the 5070 on display. CC doesn't sell them and 6th Ave sells them but does not display them. Just found on Pioneers site more local stores that carry them and will get in touch with them tomorrow. The saga continues!

Glad you were impressed with the SD quality as that was one of the reasons I liked the Pioneer. I have heard that the SD on them is better then most. There are a lot of SD programs we still watch.

---Jerry---

I made numerous trips to stores expecting the 5071 and Pro 1140 to be much better than Samsung 5073 but it was not the case, the Sammy had a better picture, trust your eyes Jerry not the hype, SD on the Samsung is better than expected, good luck.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndioinHD /forum/post/0

I made numerous trips to stores expecting the 5071 and Pro 1140 to be much better than Samsung 5073 but it was not the case, the Sammy had a better picture, trust your eyes Jerry not the hype, SD on the Samsung is better than expected, good luck.

------------------------

IndioinHD,

Thanks for the reply.

The Pioneer's are great sets and I would have gone with the 5070 but I got the 5053 about $1200 less then the lowest 5070 I had seen at the B&M's.

I did as you suggested and trusted my eyes and went with the Samsung.

---Jerry---

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:

------------------------

IndioinHD,

Thanks for the reply.

The Pioneer's are great sets and I would have gone with the 5070 but I got the 5053 about $1200 less then the lowest 5070 I had seen at the B&M's.

I did as you suggested and trusted my eyes and went with the Samsung.

---Jerry---

Well ... ? Give us the scoop man! How is it? ;-)

I am also considering the Samsung 5053 only vs the Panasonic, not Pio . I keep reading these fantastic reviews of the Panasonic, but when I look at them in the store, the Samsung wins.

At the end of the day, you can read and research until your eyes burn. but there is no way to REALLY know which one will look best unless you take it home and try it out in your lighting situation, your viewing distance, your equipment, etc. I am very interested in your take on the Samsung, particularly motion artifacfting, which seems to be the biggest knock against it so far.

Also, is there any buzz present and what was the manufacture date of your set?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kman007,

When I was comparing the 5053, 50PX60U and the Pioneer 5070 every time, to my eyes the Samsung had the much sharper picture, and for me that was the determining factor.

You must remember that this is my first HDTV so I'm thrilled to death with the picture quality. I find when it is a true HD program it is stunning. I have quickly found out that everything on a HD channel is not always in HD. When not it is just ok.

SD programs to be honest are better then I was expecting or led to believe. Not great by any means but not that bad either.

Just using Component cables at the moment. Tried HDMI but ran into some problem and will hold off until after the Super Bowl. Have asked and received help on three threads here at AVS. If you would like to follow them let me know and I will give you the information.

I'm so new to this that I'm really not sure if I have all the settings correctly set on the 5053 and the SA 8300 STB for best performance.

As far as artifacts and motion problems. I have only watched Hockey (NJ Devils) and thought it looked fine not anything that I would be upset with. Sunday will be my first football game on the 5053 and will then have a better idea. Really looking forward to Feb 18th when NASCAR starts its season at Daytona.

I have a Dec. 06 build with no buzzing at all.

All in all I am very satisfied so far.

---Jerry---

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:

kman007,

When I was comparing the 5053, 50PX60U and the Pioneer 5070 every time, to my eyes the Samsung had the much sharper picture, and for me that was the determining factor.

You must remember that this is my first HDTV so I'm thrilled to death with the picture quality. I find when it is a true HD program it is stunning. I have quickly found out that everything on a HD channel is not always in HD. When not it is just ok.

SD programs to be honest are better then I was expecting or led to believe. Not great by any means but not that bad either.

Just using Component cables at the moment. Tried HDMI but ran into some problem and will hold off until after the Super Bowl. Have asked and received help on three threads here at AVS. If you would like to follow them let me know and I will give you the information.

I'm so new to this that I'm really not sure if I have all the settings correctly set on the 5053 and the SA 8300 STB for best performance.

As far as artifacts and motion problems. I have only watched Hockey (NJ Devils) and thought it looked fine not anything that I would be upset with. Sunday will be my first football game on the 5053 and will then have a better idea. Really looking forward to Feb 18th when NASCAR starts its season at Daytona.

---Jerry---

Jerry,

Thanks for the followup. I am glad to hear that you don't have the buzz. You will LOVE football in High Definition. It's like HD was invented just for football!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:

kman007,

---Jerry---

I noticed the same softness (Pioneer 5071) sharpness (Samsung 5053) several different

stores

I did notice much more noise with the Samsung and essentially no noise with the Pioneer.

Without a doubt the Pioneer had better color. I have wondered if it is the DnIe circuitry that produces the extreme sharpness. .

The noise would get very tiring if viewed up close. I was disappointed that the 5053 does not have a QAM tuner.

I think for long term viewing the Pioneer would get the vote.

The Samsung does grab your attention in the store for sure

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry3333 /forum/post/0

I noticed the same softness (Pioneer 5071) sharpness (Samsung 5053) several different

stores

I did notice much more noise with the Samsung and essentially no noise with the Pioneer.

Without a doubt the Pioneer had better color. I have wondered if it is the DnIe circuitry that produces the extreme sharpness. .

The noise would get very tiring if viewed up close. I was disappointed that the 5053 does not have a QAM tuner.

I think for long term viewing the Pioneer would get the vote.

The Samsung does grab your attention in the store for sure

Barry,

Yes I noticed a little noise also and if it does not get any worse I will be happy. For the $1200.00 cost difference between the two I can put up with a little.

Would like to have been able to bring both home and then decide but not practical or possible.

Thanks,

---Jerrry---

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.