AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to go with the Pio 5071 and noted in my research some issue about either not connecting the OTA of the Pioneer to avoid some issues or connecting it but doing something to the TV Guide option.

Can someone clarify the do and do nots with regard to the OTA issue the Pioneer? (I hate to have to go back through the long thread).

Many thanks

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen /forum/post/0

I have decided to go with the Pio 5071 and noted in my research some issue about either not connecting the OTA of the Pioneer to avoid some issues or connecting it but doing something to the TV Guide option.

Can someone clarify the do and do nots with regard to the OTA issue the Pioneer? (I hate to have to go back through the long thread).

Many thanks

If using the OTA tuner, the TVguide will try to update occasionally, and time out, causing your set to shut off into standby mode. Just enter 00000 in for the zip code and it should take care of it for the most part, (some people still have the sets shut off randomly as long as the antenna is connected, so they have to disconnect the antenna when not using it to avoid this interruption). Hopefully there will be a fix VIA firmware for this issue in the near future.

·
Registered
594 Posts
As an additional, sorry-to-confuse-you data point:

I got my Pioneer two weeks ago (September 2006 build date), have the Motorola 6412p3 cable box DVR hooked up via HDMI and component (I wanted to see which input looked better - can't tell the difference) and have my roof antenna connected to ANT A with the TV Guide enabled and receiving dozens of digital channels.

There has been no problem yet with any kind of freezing or blinking lights or anything else.

Since there appears to be no downside to trying, you might consider doing just that -- try it.

Do the "0000" thing with the TV Guide when you first get the TV, wait a day or two to get to know the TV a bit and see how everything works, then enable the TV Guide and see what happens for you.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd /forum/post/0

As an additional, sorry-to-confuse-you data point:

I got my Pioneer two weeks ago (September 2006 build date), have the Motorola 6412p3 cable box DVR hooked up via HDMI and component (I wanted to see which input looked better - can't tell the difference) and have my roof antenna connected to ANT A with the TV Guide enabled and receiving dozens of digital channels.

There has been no problem yet with any kind of freezing or blinking lights or anything else.

Since there appears to be no downside to trying, you might consider doing just that -- try it.

Do the "0000" thing with the TV Guide when you first get the TV, wait a day or two to get to know the TV a bit and see how everything works, then enable the TV Guide and see what happens for you.

Ladd,

I just got my 5070 and have a Scientiific Atantic DVR box hooked up via HMDI. You can still use the guide with your box or does it only work if you use the Pio's Tuner?

·
Registered
594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUAFOREST /forum/post/0

Ladd,

I just got my 5070 and have a Scientiific Atantic DVR box hooked up via HMDI. You can still use the guide with your box or does it only work if you use the Pio's Tuner?

It is my understanding that the Pioneer's built-in TV GUIDE only works with the OTA tuner.

The cable box will have it's own guide, no?

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
71 is the best buy model, hope they give you a great deal. check visual apex a forum sponsor, they have the 5070 at a really good price delivered.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 /forum/post/0

71 is the best buy model, hope they give you a great deal. check visual apex a forum sponsor, they have the 5070 at a really good price delivered.

Thanks. Got a great deal from BB. Negotiated it down to about 100 dollars more than a price I was quoted from a popular purchasing source for folks on AVS. I would have gone with the forum sponsor but wanted ease of return if it did not work out for us since the BB is about 5 miles away.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.