AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching threads on here but just can't seem to figure this out. When watching channels in HD (1080i signal from box) the TV will adjust the picture to full screen for me but when watching SD (480i signal from box) it will not. Even manually selecting the size through the TV wont work.

I am connected using an HDMI cable which deactivates all of the options on the box for selecting screen size ratios, etc. All that is left to select is the size: Normal, stretch, and zoom. When I select stretch it does take up the whole screen on the TV when watching SD but it just seems to look funny and I'd hate to have to toggle back and forth all the time. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Therope,

I am getting a 5010 delivered in the next couple of hours. Currently I have the same side bar problem with my HD Sharp TV. To get around the problem, I ended up using a splitter and when watching SD, I am avoiding the cable box and using the view modes of the TV to stretch the screen to fill the screen. Using smart stretch...as Sharp calls it, stretches the edges so you don't have the distortion when using the stretch on the cable box.

Was wondering if I would have to do the same with the 5010. Probably so, from what you wrote.

...Finner

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, the TV wont fix it unless it's in HD. For SD I'm having to use the "Stretch" Mode on the Cable box for SD.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Therope,

I have my screen set to automatic on my 5010. When I am watching HD Cable and switch channels to a non HD cable channel, after a few seconds the "Auto Screen" kicks in and widens the 4:3 screen to wide. When I go back to an HD channel the screen goes back to full 1080i HD, I think the mode is "Full". When I click on Display it just says "Auto" for screen mode. I am using HDMI also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts