1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question:

I don't have a HD player yet, was wondering if it's a noticeable step up

from an HD Satellite feed (I have Bell Express Vu where most HD

channels are 720p), or simply comparable?

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
From my brief experience--I have a 5080 plasma, DirecTV HD-DVR, and a PS3--hi-def disc is absolutely a noticeable step up. Just how noticeable depends on several things--which channel you are watching, for example; but the level of compression via satellite does affect the picture quality, and that's not even taking into account the occasional artifacting from a shaky signal. I'll still watch practically any program in HD, but a good blu-ray movie is the hands-down winner.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I would say comparable to more noticable. 1080p player should give the better picture over a compressed signal.

Only input I can give is using lost as an example. I watched lost on a 1080p LCD broadcasted on HDTV. Now I am watching the same seaoson of lost on blu ray on my 5080 and swear there are things I'm seeing on the pioneer that I don't remember seeing broadcasted. Will have to wait till jan 31 for the 2 hour lost season 5 to air to double check.

The reality behind it is that you are feeding your tv a 1080p uncompressed signal that the tv will scale vs a highly compressed 1080i signal that your tv will have to scale. Source being the most important component in what makes a good picture, all answers point to the hd player looking better than compressed hd broadcasted image.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Blue Ray and HD-DVD both use compression... saying they are "uncompressed" is not accurate (uncompressed video is massive).

Of course your point is still valid in that the level of compression is likely to be (much) higher via satalite, and you should see significantly less compression artifacts from BR or HDDVD.

EDIT: Wikipedia if you are interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Codecs

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascl /forum/post/12923423

Blue Ray and HD-DVD both use compression... saying they are "uncompressed" is not accurate (uncompressed video is massive).

Of course your point is still valid in that the level of compression is likely to be (much) higher via satalite, and you should see significantly less compression artifacts from BR or HDDVD.

EDIT: Wikipedia if you are interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Codecs

maybe you were a little quick to try and correct me rather than read what I said. I never said anything about blu ray or hddvd not being a compressed format. I said that bd and hddvd players send an uncompressed 1080p signal from the player to the tv where television is sending a compressed hd signal to the tv. So on paper a next gen player should allready be wining over broadcast hd. As far a verizion fios, dont have it in my area and have never seen it live so someone with fios should cluck in and explain their view.

·
Registered
621 Posts
i have a 5080 with dtv and a blu-ray player and a hd-dvd player - blu-ray picture at 1080p/24 is better than dtv's 1080i by a lnoticable difference. The 5080 shows 480p and 480i dvds pretty well (let the tv do the upconversion).

480i from dtv is terrible on the 5080 and probably on most wide screen tvs.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpjunkie /forum/post/12924540

maybe you were a little quick to try and correct me rather than read what I said. I never said anything about blu ray or hddvd not being a compressed format. I said that bd and hddvd players send an uncompressed 1080p signal from the player to the tv where television is sending a compressed hd signal to the tv. So on paper a next gen player should allready be wining over broadcast hd. As far a verizion fios, dont have it in my area and have never seen it live so someone with fios should cluck in and explain their view.

Who does the decompression is really not that important... and hence I found what you said misleading. Whether the decompression is done by a disc player, a STB or the TV itself doesn't affect the issue at hand... which is TV signals via whatever medium tend to be much more highly compressed than from a disc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts