AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many of you have the brightness set to atleast +3 ? I've seen the settings on here say that for reference settings it should be at 0. At zero on my tv the dark areas of the image have no detail and the blacks look crushed. Just wondering if this is common or just something I'm noticing on my tv.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
mankite, are you using D-Nice's latest User Mode settings?


Because if so, I can see what you mean. I've been happy with his original Movie Mode settings and hadn't checked out the User Mode update, but just put in his User Mode settings so I could A/B them.


After pausing a newscast that showed a background of the Boston skyline at an angle with tall building sides in shadow, I noticed that the User Mode settings pretty much obscured details of windows and floors in shadow that became quite visible in his Movie Mode settings. Even bumping Brightness up to +3 didn't bring forth as much detail as Movie Mode.


Here are his Movie Mode settings for you to check out, that I think were specific to Motorola cable boxes. For some reason I think he called for Contrast to be at 39 and not 40, but maybe not, and I'm pretty sure the rest are accurate:


MOVIE MODE

Contrast = 40

Brightness = + 1

Color = -3

Tint = 4 Red

Sharpness -5


Pro Adjust:

PureCinema

Film Mode = Standard

Text Optimization = Off


Picture Detail:

DRE Picture = Low

Black Level = Off

ACL = Off

Enhancer Mode = 2

Gamma = 3


Color Detail:

Color Temp = Low

CTI = Off


Noise Reduction:

3DNR - Low

Field NR = Off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
One question I have, is there a fundamental difference between modes such as standard and user? Or is each just a "preset" which can be adjusted? For example, if I set standard and user both to all 0's, would the pic be the same for both?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
I agree about the lost detail in blacks with the reference settings. My wife even picked up on it. I'll have to try the Movie settings when I get home and see how they do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Smith /forum/post/12905561


I agree about the lost detail in blacks with the reference settings. My wife even picked up on it. I'll have to try the Movie settings when I get home and see how they do.

At one point, D-Nice also came up with settings for Optimum Mode. I like these for football and occasional regular TV viewing when I want to jazz up a bland source a little - well, maybe more than a little, actually.


Here they are - I don't recall tweaking them any myself, but I may have. Remember that you lose the ability to go into the Pro-Adjust submenu and also that the room light sensor automatically comes on when using Optimum.


OPTIMUM MODE

Contrast = 35

Brightness = + 1

Color = -4

Tint = 1 Red

Sharpness -5


Pro Adjust: N/A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/12905762


Optimum mode


indeed. But hey, I never claimed they were accurate for color or anything you'd want to use on a continual basis. More like a guilty pleasure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
my settings on my 5080 - and yes - some tv programs look like the blacks are crushed - i then move brightness up 1 or 2 notches.


MOVIE MODE for Directv

Contrast = 37

Brightness = - 1

Color = -2

Tint = 0

Sharpness -7


Pro Adjust:

PureCinema

Film Mode = Standard

Text Optimization = Off


Picture Detail:

DRE Picture = Low

Black Level = Off

ACL = Off

Enhancer Mode = 2

Gamma = 3


Color Detail:

Color Temp = Low

CTI = Off


Noise Reduction:

3DNR – Low

Field NR = Off


MOVIE MODE for blu-ray and hd-dvd

Contrast = 40

Brightness = 0

Color = +4

Tint = 0

Sharpness -6


Pro Adjust:

PureCinema

Film Mode = Adv

Text Optimization = Off


Picture Detail:

DRE Picture = Low

Black Level = Off

ACL = Off

Enhancer Mode = 2

Gamma = 3


Color Detail:

Color Temp = Low

CTI = Off


Noise Reduction:

3DNR – Low

Field NR = Off


STANDARD MODE for Directv - sports and SD channels

Contrast = 37

Brightness = 0

Color = -7

Tint = 0

Sharpness -10


Pro Adjust:

PureCinema

Film Mode = Smooth

Text Optimization = On


Picture Detail:

DRE Picture = Low

Black Level = Off

ACL = Off

Enhancer Mode = 2

Gamma = 1


Color Detail:

Color Temp = Mid

CTI = Off


Noise Reduction:

3DNR – Low

Field NR = Off


I've spent a lot of time and effort and money to get these settings right for my tv
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
i had to have my tv calibrated twice to get rid of the red push -


regardless of the price or model (pio or pany) - i have to have RGB controls in my next tv. this screwing with just color is a nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/12906725


If only the red push was defeatable without a calibration for "Low" temp. mode.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
This was posted in a thread -Just bought a 5080-that is already buried.

To fix crushed blacks - at least on HDMI inputs - go to Options - HDMI input and change "Video" setting to "Color 4" instead of "Auto". Then you may have to adjust brightness.

Thank you to whoever suggested this - it works really well. The downside is it works only on an HDMI input(for me it's my Dish input) and not on antenna or component inputs. If anyone knows a fix for those it would be appreciated.


This is a very obscure setting. D'Nice - can you add it to your settings?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeb /forum/post/12906841


i had to have my tv calibrated twice to get rid of the red push -


regardless of the price or model (pio or pany) - i have to have RGB controls in my next tv. this screwing with just color is a nightmare


1. Why twice?


2. Same here on next t.v. purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmacat /forum/post/12906915


This was posted in a thread -Just bought a 5080-that is already buried.

To fix crushed blacks - at least on HDMI inputs - go to Options - HDMI input and change "Video" setting to "Color 4" instead of "Auto". Then you may have to adjust brightness.

Thank you to whoever suggested this - it works really well. The downside is it works only on an HDMI input(for me it's my Dish input) and not on antenna or component inputs. If anyone knows a fix for those it would be appreciated.


This is a very obscure setting. D'Nice - can you add it to your settings?


I can't crush blacks unless I leave movie mode and low temp. mode?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeb /forum/post/12906624


my settings on my 5080 - and yes - some tv programs look like the blacks are crushed - i then move brightness up 1 or 2 notches.


MOVIE MODE for Directv

Contrast = 37

Brightness = - 1

Color = -2

Tint = 0

Sharpness -7


Pro Adjust:

PureCinema

Film Mode = Standard

Text Optimization = Off


Picture Detail:

DRE Picture = Low

Black Level = Off

ACL = Off

Enhancer Mode = 2

Gamma = 3


Color Detail:

Color Temp = Low

CTI = Off


Noise Reduction:

3DNR - Low

Field NR = Off


MOVIE MODE for blu-ray and hd-dvd

Contrast = 40

Brightness = 0

Color = +4

Tint = 0

Sharpness -6


Pro Adjust:

PureCinema

Film Mode = Adv

Text Optimization = Off


Picture Detail:

DRE Picture = Low

Black Level = Off

ACL = Off

Enhancer Mode = 2

Gamma = 3


Color Detail:

Color Temp = Low

CTI = Off


Noise Reduction:

3DNR - Low

Field NR = Off


STANDARD MODE for Directv - sports and SD channels

Contrast = 37

Brightness = 0

Color = -7

Tint = 0

Sharpness -10


Pro Adjust:

PureCinema

Film Mode = Smooth

Text Optimization = On


Picture Detail:

DRE Picture = Low

Black Level = Off

ACL = Off

Enhancer Mode = 2

Gamma = 1


Color Detail:

Color Temp = Mid

CTI = Off


Noise Reduction:

3DNR - Low

Field NR = Off


I've spent a lot of time and effort and money to get these settings right for my tv

THANK YOU (and D'NICE)......I have mine coming next week, I hope I get a NON BUZZZER!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will try the different settings. I just can't stand when there are dark areas where you can't see detail and it's a black blob. I was watching the empire strikes back yesterday and there's alot of dark scenes like where luke fights vadar for the first time. And I also notice it alot on peoples faces when they are coming out of a dark areas into a lighted one and until they do it's just a black blob with no detail. I had to set my plasma on it's side for 30 minutes on the ride home and I know your not supposed to do that and was just wondering if it is my set or if others that are sensitive to this also notice it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmacat /forum/post/12906915


This was posted in a thread -Just bought a 5080-that is already buried.

To fix crushed blacks - at least on HDMI inputs - go to Options - HDMI input and change "Video" setting to "Color 4" instead of "Auto". Then you may have to adjust brightness.

Thank you to whoever suggested this - it works really well. The downside is it works only on an HDMI input(for me it's my Dish input) and not on antenna or component inputs. If anyone knows a fix for those it would be appreciated.


This is a very obscure setting. D'Nice - can you add it to your settings?

I did this last night for my Xbox 360, but when I went to do it on my HD-A3 the screen had a strong red tint to it. Strange.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top