AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't decide on which plasma set to buy. This will be my first plasma.

Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK I can buy online and the Pioneer 50A5HD I can purchase at the local Costco.

The prices difference is $500 ... (after I buy the HDMI blade for the Panasonic)

This TV will be in my dedicated media room. I will watch HD, DVDs, and standard broadcast. I want to be able to use this TV without any worries.

Can you guys give me the pros/cons of both sets ... and bottom line, which one I should buy.

Thanks!

UPDATED:

I will be connecting DVD, VCR and HD cablebox to plasma.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just note - I won't be tweaking the plasma to the Nth degree. Just the "basics". Again - what do you think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read the MANY reviews on the panny unit. Everyboy loves the TV. And you can't beat the lower price than the Pioneer 50A5HD unit.

However - I can't get the Costco return policy out of my mind ... if ... knock on wood ... the plasma runs into problems.

What do you do if problems arise and you ordered TV from internet site???

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the 50PHD8UK and think it is an incredible panel. However, it is my primary "TV" and so I like to tweak it and play with it. if yours is not going to be a primary source, it may be that the Pioneer would be great. Also, it could be that actually getting one of the 50PHD8UKs in your hands might be difficult, although I've heard that they are supposed to start shipping again at the end of this month (if you can believe the rumors around here!)

BTW, if I have problems, I guess I will just deal with them by getting the thing to an authorized repair center. Seems like a low probability event to me now... Plus the guys I bought mine from seem to be really professional and have a 30 day return policy etc...

Best of luck, Let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm gonna order the Panny. Waiting extra weeks (due to the back order) is not an issue. I have not heard a bad review of the TV. That is a point not to be missed. And it costs A LOT less than the Pioneer.

Any recommendations on places to order the Panny?

Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I went through TVA which who did a fine job. Be sure, however, to specifically state you want the pixel-perfect guarantee; they won't include it otherwise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan
Whenever I have the option to buy at Costco, the decesion process is over.
That's pretty much a deciding factor for me as well, especially for an expensive purchase like a plasma TV. However, I saw the high ratings on the TH-50PHD8UK and was extremely tempted. But alas, the Pioneer showed up under my xmas tree so I guess I will have to live with it. :D

Good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan
Whenever I have the option to buy at Costco, the decesion process is over.

I'd love to hear more reviews from folks that have the 50A5HD. I have an 8uk on order, but who knows how long it will be? andy sullivan pretty much nailed my current sentiment, but I wonder if the Pio is going to leave me with buyers remorse...?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Buying at Costco was a big push for me as well. After years of debating what to buy and reading every thread dealing with the Panasonic and the Pioneer, I finally decided to jump on the Pioneer. I don't know how much time I spent looking at this display at Costco. Even though conditions for viewing in that warehouse environment are horrible, it always looked fantastic to me. I worried about SD viewing as much as anything. I had read so many conflicting reports on this I just didn't know what to expect. I had myself prepared to live with poor SD programming. I was stunned with how good SD programing from D* looked and I was only using s-video. I'm now working on getting a D* HD receiver so I can use either component or HDMI to feed the display. Everyone I've talked to seems to think this will bump PQ up quite a bit. Hope they're right. I also liked the idea that the Pioneer would stretch HD material. I've had my set three weeks now and have put 151 hours on it. It's dead quiet, no fan noise or buzzing and have not had even the slightest hint of image retention from any source. When it hits 200 hours I'm going to get out Avia and do a little tweaking although I'm perfectly happy with the way it looks now. I know you will enjoy whichever display you decide to buy!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, my Pioneer has a dead cell in the upper left quadrant, but it's not visible from viewing distance so I am keeping it for now. Unlike TD2, I think SD quality looks horrendous on *any* large screen HD TVs, and I am not too crazy about it on my Pioneer either (granted I am just feeding the signal straight from the coax cable directly to the plasma w/o an HD box).

I wouldn't recommend a plasma TV for bright rooms with lots of ambiant light. I can't really watch mine during the day, but that's ok. I expected that, and will be moving the TV into my bedroom once I buy a 1080p DLP for the family room.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.