AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was burning some stuff from my hard drive to DVD. I was using high speed and had done about 8 discs already and then all of a sudden three in a row come up with an on screen error saying 'cannot complete copy' At first I thought bad disc, then two, and now three. Can you overuse the burner in this thing? It wasn't the material cause I had already copied the same stuff earlier tonight. THanks.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Yeah, you might be encountering a thermal problem because of the high usage interval (duty cycle) and that could be causing burn errors because of the resultant disc misalignment/warpage with respect to the laser. Give the deck a rest for the night and try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried it again this morning. First disk did not work. Second one did. Third one same 'cannot complete copy' Could it be the disks? They are BENQ dvd-r.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Yeah, another possibility is that you are encountering a bad batch of discs in the spindle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been able to do a couple disks today. Still getting cannot complete copy message and sometimes it cannot finalize disk after the copy process.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I would be surprised if it isn't a media problem. I had the same thing happen with some BeAlls. There was a lot of variation in the discs themselves (and in how much I was trying to cram onto them), so some finalized while others wouldn't burn all of the content.

Have you tried another brand? You might also try to burn less to each disc than the "normal" amount (i.e. keep it under 3900 Megs or so). If it is the media, or if your burner is sensitive about finding write errors on the disc, it might help to leave them with some extra headroom.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
My guess is the media, but it also might be dust on the laser (this is absolutely a guess because I haven't experienced this myself). I don't know how to clean one of these, but there are laser-cleaning discs. Maybe someone else can comment on whether this sort of thing actually works.

One thing about the 510 (which is what I also have) is that it was built before the faster media was developed. I'm concerned that its firmware eventually will have trouble with newer media. Pioneer hasn't provided any firmware updates for this. So far I've had no problem with the TDK (Japan and Taiwan) and Maxell (Japan) 4X and 8X media I've used.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.