AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm sold on a Pioneer RPTV (most likely elite), I had a sony 36XBR400, but the movers "Lost" it. When my insurance claim comes in I was thinking of upgrading to a Pioneer 53". However, my room is only about 13' deep, I will be sitting about 8 or 9 ft away from the tv (hence thinking Elite RPTV)is that far enough away for the RPTV?

Also I will be connecting an XBOX and a PS2 to play on the tv, I will of course spend most of my time watching TV/DVDs, but I want to make sure my consoles do not fry the screen...

Let me know thoughts (esp. on the seating position)

Thanks!

Ben

·
Registered
441 Posts
I am the proud owner of the SD533HD5 and am very happy with it. I looked at the Elite model and although it is an attractive set I couldn't justify the higher price.

One concern you may have is the number of inputs. There are only 4 inputs on the Pioneer, 3 in the back and one in the front. This may be a problem for you especially with respect to component hookup. I don't recall the number of inputs on the Elite models.

I sit approximately 12 feet back from the set. I think it would be fine even at 9 feet. Have you seen one on display and have you sat at the distance you would at home. The TV stics out about 2 feet from the wall.

Good luck

·
Registered
39 Posts
You are definitely borderline on being too close. I would consider 8 ft. too close and 9 ft. the beginning distance for this Pioneer.

Selecting your distance varies based on monitor size, resolution, and your vision. A good rule of thumb is somewhere between 3.2 - 5.0 times the pic height. As an ISF calibrator of over 5 years, I have found that personally and for my clients, 4 times the pic height is a good compromise.

If you want to determine this ratio in reverse, measure the distance from the estimated front of the TV to your head when sitting, divide by 4 and this will be an optimal TV pic height. Go to the store and measure a few sets to determine which one is nearest the number.

Good luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, assuming the pioneer is 26" deep (25 13/16" acording to their site), my head on the couch will be a little over 8 ft from the front of the tv. Hmmmmm, looks like I might have to go back to the 36"xbr450 then :( As far as the inputs, I should be ok, my Pioneer receiver switches 2 components (dvd and xbox), while I also have a jvc component switcher which can switch up to another 3 or 4.

Ben

·
Registered
39 Posts
I understand your quandry. But if you go with the 36", you will not have the impact. Why don't you consider another brand, like the 46 inch Mitsu widescreen. It has a great image, especially when properly calibrated. I have calibrated many of them and I consider it to be a good choice.

Good luck.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 4cinema
You are definitely borderline on being too close. I would consider 8 ft. too close and 9 ft. the beginning distance for this Pioneer.
I am not an ISF calibrator, but I sit eight feet from my Pioneer 53" (non-Elite) and I believe it to be the sweet spot. There are many formulas to determine how far a person should sit for optimal viewing experience. What I believe the goal to be is a complete picture (widescreen) that fills up your entire vision. Then the next trick is creating a picture that not only offers the resolution to fit the viewing distance, but to maximize what you have. I used Steve Martin, an ISF calibrator here in the greater Dallas area and he made my 480p image look like HDTV. I am thrilled with the quality and am a firm backer in the Pioneer line.

I would suggest that you go with a non-Elite Pioneer set (53" is great, it will feel smaller the longer you watch it) and take that extra cash to an ISF calibrator you believe in. For about $500, you can get the works. You will have such an amazing picture, you will wonder how other people watch RPTVs without having them professionally calibrated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, was looking for someone with the pioneer 53" that sat 8ft or so away. :) I might go with it and if worse comes to worst move things so that both the tv and couch are a little tilted which could give me an extra few feet... It seems most people say the elite is not worth the extra.... $1800? PRO-520HD vs SD-533HD5 3995 vs 2199. I'm a very big fan of Pioneer's electronics, so am sold on them at least, it's just the elite vs standard that's so rough. All of my other components (aside from HD receiver) are Pioneer elite models, and I have no complains (aside from the dv-07 not playing svcd....) Oh, also does anyone know a decent ISF calibrator in the Portland area?

The advantage with the non elite model is I would have $ from my claim left over, while the elite would cost about $1k more then I'm getting from the claim... hmmm.... very rough choice... looking at the specs I can see some of the differences, specificly the better dot pitch, which admitedly is more of a big deal for me since I will be sitting close to it... UGH.... Of course I'll have to find a local dealer, or do the whole Internet purchasing again, but the whole shipping thing is EXPENSIVE.... (Portland thankfully has no sales tax :) )

Ben

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, also anyone know of a store in Portland (OR), that might have both 53" Pioneers?

Thanks!

Ben

·
Registered
912 Posts
Ben, it is my understanding that no retailer is authorized by Pioneer to carry both the standard line and the Elite line. I would shop Tweeter, Best Buy, or even a major warehouse chain to save some cash.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmmm, that makes it very hard to judge between the models..... of course that's most likely WHY pioneer does that ;-) Going to give Best Buy and fry's a try tomorrow, sheesh, this is hard..

Now thinking of:

Pioneer 53" HD (elite)

Pioneer 53" HD (standard)

POSSIBLY the JVC 48" I'Art Pro HDTV Monitor

Sony 36" XBR450 (do I really need 3:2... esp since my dvd player already does it, and i think 3:2 is only on component in, scratch this one unless someone knows something else the xbr450 will do, I'll be watching mainly direct tivo, some HD, and dvds.)

Sony 36" "High Scan" (which seems to be exactly the same as my, now missing, 36" xbr400 just for significantly less.)

(*SIGH*)

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
My store has displayed both at the same time with no problems from Pioneer. The Elite machines at the time we displayed both were much superior in picture quality to the non Elites. Yes all were propery ISF calibrated. We no longer display the non Elite but this has nothing to do with Pioneer. We just believe that if one sees the 2 side by side, no one would buy a non Elite.

For the differences do a search under front projectors and under this forum. Rear projectors used to be included in the same category as front projectors.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found a shop with the elite 53" pioneer HD, sat 7.5 feet away and... well, I bought a tv. (At least I put a deposit down, want to wait until I'm sure they aren't going to "find" my old tv.)

NICE picture quality, even in the sound room, can't wait to get it home and get a local isf guy to calibrate it :)

Have to say the ability to handle the satelite feed is what sold me, that and the tv just looks really good.... all nice and shiny and black (goes with my upcoming av cabs.)

Ben

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats on the pending purchase! I just found this thread and purchased an Elite 510 Jan 2001. My head is approx 9 feet from the screen and it is wonderful. My room (theater) is 12'x15' and after a deduct for set depth and head position from the back wall, I am approx 9ft away. We just had an ISF calibration and although an added cost, I would suggest it. We waited until this year to have that done and I was amazed at the picture. It was really pretty good after using the Avia disc, but my color temp was off (too high) and it is much easier to watch now. (My wife's words). I believe the the new 520 series allows you to use the screen modes (partial zoom, etc) on the component inputs as well as S-video and composite, sure wish I had that on the 510! Have fun and enjoy!

Randy

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Of course now we're at the worst part... I have to wait around 30 days for the mover to see if they can "find" my tv...

needless to say, I'm not holding my breath, but watching this 27" tv in svideo is torture knowing what I have waiting for me...

·
Registered
8 Posts
For what it's worth, I have an early version of Pioneer Elite, 65" model, and I'm right now sitting with my eyes about 10 ft from screen in a diagonally oriented position (i.e., Elite RPTV is in corner) -- I love it. Most of my viewing is DirecTV (including the occasional Hi-Def stuff on HDNet and HBO Hi-Def) and DVD. Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.