AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Pioneer 531 and notice the picture is signifigantly worse in L1 mode than it is off the TV. Anyone else with this problem? When I record a show as it's airing it's no problem but using the timer it only gives me the choice of L1, L2, and L3 forcing me to use a setting that gives me worse PQ. I'm baffled why my picture is grainer in L1 mode, any thoughts?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I assume you have the Pioneer 531 L1 input hooked to a cable box via composite video or S-video input.

The S-video from my cable box looks much better than the RF or composite options.

Is it a analogue or digital channel? :)cool:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylisp
I have the Pioneer 531 and notice the picture is signifigantly worse in L1 mode than it is off the TV. Anyone else with this problem?
I have the 533, and have my VCR input through L1, and the picture looks just fine. I've made several recordings of old VHS tapes to the hard drive, then dubbed them to DVD with no problems. In fact, some of these old tapes have been pretty poor quality and I'm pleasantly surprised with the DVD copies.

Do you have your cable input through L1? Again, I have a direct RF cable input to my 533 with the VCR into L1.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Source is my cable box (I have everything hooked up according to the connecting to cable box or satellite receiver 1 diagram) and it's the analog channels that look grainy, digital are fine. However, the analog look even worse (grainer) through the L1 hookup than they do through normal viewing. I'm using an S-video cable.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Some cable boxes do a dismal job with analog signals.

You might try different setting on your cable box to see if anything improves the analog channel output quality.

If this fails, you can run the cable signal into the recorder and out from the recorder to the cable box. This will enable you to view analog unscrambled channels through the RF input on your recorder and use the s-video output from the cable box for your digital channels.

You can set up different sources for the channels on the recorder, so when you record it will use the right input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.