AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, spoke with a fellow at onecall and said that the only way to do timer recordings to hdd or disc was by using the tvguide. I was thinking some of you here said you could set the timer recordings the old fashioned manual way.

Can someone clarify this? Can you make timer recordings and set them up without using the tvguide, just do it the way we do on the old panasonics and stuff? thanks.t.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Whether or not you are able to set up and populate the TVGOS , you can still schedule manual recordings. When you push "Timer REC" on remote, it brings up TVGOS interface and on the left hand side you can schedule your recording.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks NP..glad to hear that..i just ordered one...thanks to all who helped...t

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello
I have heard plenty of horror stories and am looking for real world input .

How easy is it to record without using the TVguide feature ?

I currently own the toshiba nad absolutely hate the thing . It comes on and records for no reason at all . and of corse doesnt record sometimes for no clear reason . The Pioneer looks to be much better laid out .

Thanks for any input .

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
for what it is worth...I got it and it would record 5 minutes and error out. I spoke with onecall and returned it for a replacement..just got the replacement the other day, and so far it works beautifully. I ignore the tvguide, as i am hooked thru a box.

there is a button, timer recording, on the remote, hit it and the screen comes up to set the time and so on to record, and set it and it is ready to go and records as it should..no probs...

I have yet to mess with the channel changing thing, haven't even hooked it up. but for now I leave it on the channel to record, set the timer that manual way and it records just fine...I set more than one just like the old ones, go back and edit them and everything. I just ignore the tvguide. I am very pleased with it...

No nitemare once you learn how to use that one button.

but some of the previous probs from others, may have been a defective unit, as i said my first, i would set the timer to record, and it would error out after a few minutes, creating a coaster...and i had to physically switch the button to dvd, to record to, otherwise it would not switch to dvd that was specified when the timer was set up. the new one switches fine and works well.

So if you have no use or interest in getting involved with the tvguide garbage, it will work well just like older models. The way around the tvguide is simple and easy.

I had spoken to a tech rep from pioneer about disabling the tvguide, but don't think he knew his head from hole in the ground. he said to disable it, just select, in the setup, no cable and no antenna and that would disable it. I told him i did that and the epg still showed after turning system off..he was lost then...but I really just ignore it...so hope this helps....I am not a pro by any means and just want a recorder to record movies here and there that I want to keep, with good quality and be done with it, without any fancy guffaws and doo dads...so if I can work this one easily anyone can..t

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv13
I had spoken to a tech rep from pioneer about disabling the tvguide, but don't think he knew his head from hole in the ground. he said to disable it, just select, in the setup, no cable and no antenna and that would disable it. I told him i did that and the epg still showed after turning system off..he was lost then...but I really just ignore it...so hope this helps....I am not a pro by any means and just want a recorder to record movies here and there that I want to keep, with good quality and be done with it, without any fancy guffaws and doo dads...so if I can work this one easily anyone can..t
The Pioneer guy was essentially right. See the UREKA thread about disabling the EPG on Pioneers. BTW, all scheduled recordings (timer and EPG) are scheduled from a common screen. So, even though you have disabled the EPG (no TVGOS data or updates), you will still use the common screen for timed recordings. For some reason, this has cause tremendous aggravation and frustration for several folks. This surprised me, because I am sure those same folks are quite computer literate, and should be use to seeing similar information grouped together on single computer screen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.