AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the Avia DVD to adjust my new Pioneer SD-533HD5.

I've used Avia to adjust several TVs but none has ever adjusted closer to perfect. I was able to adjust Color & Hue exactly by my reckoning and the decoder check was right on.

Interestingly, the "white level" is acceptable all the way up to max.

No geometry distortions, no blooming, and the brightness steps seem fine.

So where do I set it? The default was set to MAX(30) so I just adjusted it to Mid Level(0) which seems acceptable to me.

Are there some other fine points I should look for, or should I just set it as low as I can accept? Even lower than Mid Level?

When doing a convergence adjustment, the blue seems to be a little out of focus.

The blue lines seem to bloom out on both sides of the white lines. I just centered them as best I could.

Is this normal or do I need to try to adjust the focus?

Optical or CRT focus?

Are there any hidden set-up or adjustment menus I can get to?

Not that I'll mess with anything I shouldn't but I'd like to know what's available.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:
Are there some other fine points I should looks for, or should I just set it as low as I can accept?
Use the Sharpness pattern. Increase the Contrast until horizontal (or vertical) burst becomes non-uniform at the right (or bottom, whichever occurs first) end of the pattern. This amounts to a fine tuning of the blooming. The Sharpness, SVM and any other peaking or edge distortion controls should be adjusted at low Contrast for uniform burst patterns beforehand.
Quote:
When doing a convergence adjustment, the blue seems to be a little out of focus.
Normal - the blue must be defocused in order for gray scale to track properly. If you see the blue on the edges of pure white lines, you're sitting too close for normal viewing.

Sounds like you are on your way to a fine picture. After doing all of the user stuff, have the gray scale adjusted for an even better image.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Den Use the Sharpness pattern. Increase the Contrast until horizontal (or vertical) burst becomes non-uniform at the right (or bottom, whichever occurs first) end of the pattern. This amounts to a fine tuning of the blooming. The Sharpness, SVM and any other peaking or edge distortion controls should be adjusted at low Contrast for uniform burst patterns beforehand.
That makes sense. Once the burst becomes non-uniform, I assume I should back off the contrast until it becomes uniform again. Correct?

Should I go back and re-adjust the sharpness again afterward or leave it where I set it at low contrast?

Finally, should I do all of this with SVM on or off? Or just decide which setting gives me the best bust patterns?

Quote:
If you see the blue on the edges of pure white lines, you're sitting too close for normal viewing.
Agreed. I find I have to get up close to the screen to adjust the convergence accurately.

Thanks.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Correct - you are trading light output for resolution. Normally SVM should be off altogether, it is simply noise. Use the bursts as your guides here.

Sometimes a compromise is needed, especially with HD signals. You'll want to go through the same exercise with an HD sharpness pattern, as from a test generator or the upcoming Digital Video Essentials on D-VHS.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went through the adjustments again last night.

Contrast ended up even lower at -15.

The optimum point is very subtle but I was finally able to see it.

I also found that Sat and Hue are best adjusted from a distance.

I couldn't get them adjusted just right 'till I stepped back a few feet and then they were perfect.

DVD's through the Component input look absolutely incredible.

Regular TV through the tuner or TiVo via S-Video looks terrible.

It's watchable but disappointing after watching a DVD.

That's the price you pay I guess for watching on a display that's good enough to reveal every flaw in the signal.

Since the set is new I'll wait a while before I consider an ISF calibration.

'Till then I'll just re-check convergence and basic video adjustments with Avia every few weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.