AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone find the constant noise of the 533 annoying? It seems to always be making a grinding noise while downloading the TV guide (I am assuming that is normal).

Question: How do you turn off the EPG and I am assuming you can still use the HDD. Also, if I decide to use the EPG and want to watch cable TV through the component inputs, how do you get the TV to switch channels through the recorder without it affecting the cable channels. In other words, if I try to switch channels on the video input, it knocks the tv back into the reqular analog cable mode? Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldonandy
Does anyone find the constant noise of the 533 annoying? It seems to always be making a grinding noise while downloading the TV guide (I am assuming that is normal).

Question: How do you turn off the EPG and I am assuming you can still use the HDD. Also, if I decide to use the EPG and want to watch cable TV through the component inputs, how do you get the TV to switch channels through the recorder without it affecting the cable channels. In other words, if I try to switch channels on the video input, it knocks the tv back into the reqular analog cable mode? Thanks in advance for any help!
It is probably normal to hear the grinding noise - I hear the same in my 633. It's not all that bad for me, possibly because there is some other white noise and ambient noise from outside. I can see it getting annoying if your hard drive happens to be a louder one and you live in a very quiet area. The EPG seems to constantly download.

To turn off the EPG, you need to follow the directions for the thread whose subject is "Eureka!" in this subforum. You can do a search. Regarding the switching channels you should be doing it on the cable box, not on the TV. In order to automatically switch channels via the DVR (if that is what you mean) then you'll have to use a cable blaster, that little IR device that attaches from your 533. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The noise emanating from the Pioneer x31/x33 series has been discussed in this thread as well as others.

Stand by for accusations from the "Pioneer x31/x33 series Anti-Defamation League" that you're just being a "whiny", "disgruntled user", or that you're posting "pathetic", "uninformed, gratuitas (sic) garbage."

And if you really want a flame war, just mention "TV Guide EPG" :eek:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
There must be differing noise levels produced by these recorders. I have the 531 and cannot hear anything from the machine unless I put my ear right up to the unit.

I would be disappointed if the recorder made as much noise as my computer hard drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.