AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setup my 533 recorder today and only had a couple of minutes to play with it. It took me an hour to figure out my wiring since I have a directTivo, receiver, VCR, Sima color corrector, Separate Dvd player. In any case, I grabbed the nearest VHS tape, which was a copy of a bollywood dvd movie my wife rented from a small Indian store (VHS movies are $1, dvds are $3 to rent), and tried to record a couple of minutes on the hard drive. A note said "copyprotected cannot record". I then inserted a home movie and it worked fine.

I have no intenetion of defeating macrovision or recording copyrighted vhs movies, but it piqued my curiousity. This movie was a COPY from a dvd movie. Does the copyright protection carry over? They obviously defeated macrovision when they put the movie on a VHS tape, but it shouldn't be copy protected, or should it? Reason I'm worried is that I've heard of stories where people were copying their home movies to dvd-r and the machine said it was copyprotected. I'm hoping this machine isn't one of those sensitive ones. Thanks

·
Registered
710 Posts
DVDs generally have a signal embedded in the video which carries something called CGMS. This is a sort of "switch" that tells another digital recording device, such as a DVD recorder, whether to 1) prevent copying, 2) allow one copy or 3) allow unlimited copies.

When the DVD was played into the VHS VCR, the VCR didn't even recognize the CGMS signal, since only digital recorders recognize it. However, the VCR recorded the signal, since it was part of the video. The played-back video tape thus contains the signal, just as if the DVD itself was being played into the DVD recorder.

While sometimes a DVD-R gets the signal placed into it accidentally, or the playback DVD messes up in a way that a DVD recorder interprets as a CGMS signal, such occurances are rare.

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
bnbhoha, just curious since I'm a Directivo person also, how are you going to use the TVGOS system in the 533? Are you going to disable it from the start per the other threads here, or use it in conjunction with Directv?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
bnbhoha: That is the way CGMS/A works. The VCR you used is not CGMS compliant, so it allowed the copy, but it never stripped the CGMS signal from the content. So, when you tried to record it with the compliant DVD recorder, even though it was a copy of the original, the CGMS restriction was still there and the compliant recorder obediently refused to record.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Squonk, I disabled the TVGOS for it seems to complicated. I don't archive Tv shows that much. With DirectTivo, as you are aware, it's very simple to use. I will just transfer the recording from the D-Tivo to the recorder via s-video.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.