Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi.

I just got the 533HD-5, and love it so far. I have not yet been hooked up for satellite, so I am only able to view DVD's at this point using the Pioneer DV-444.

My question relates to vertical overscan. I find when running DVD's in any mode that people's heads are being cut-off (from their hairline up). I am not locked into FULL mode when viewing DVD's. Do you know how to adjust this? Is this corrected via convergence, by using the AVIA or VE disks, or via some other mechanism?

It seems amazing to me that you buy a set for thousands of $'s, and something like this needs to be adjusted right out of the box!

I am not very technical, so any specific guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Larry

·
Banned
410 Posts
Have you attempted to change the display mode? The fourth button down from the top left on your remote is the "Mode" button. As you press it the display will cycle through the following display modes:

FULL: usefull for anamorphic DVDs - True 16:9 mode. 4:3 sources will make people look fat.

4:3 Normal: Will display picture with grey bars on each side. Lets you see the entire normal 4:3 picture without distorion. 4:3 sources look normal. Anamorphic sources will make people look skinny.

Natural Wide: Slight cropping of the top and bottom. A compromise between FULL and Zoom being closer to FULL. People will still look fat.

Cinema Wide: More cropping of the top and bottom. Another compromise between FULL and Zoom being closer to Zoom. People still look fat but not as much so.

Zoom: Full cropping of the top and bottom. Effectively a 4:3 picture will appear in it's correct aspect ratio with the appropriate amount of the top and bottom cropped (could this be the mode you are in?). People look normal. Close ups will cut off their heads.

Note that these modes are well described on page 36 in your owners manual.

If you _are_ in "Zoom" mode and prefer it (like I do) you can eliminate the cut off heads by using the "Screen" adjustment. It allows you to "shift" the screen up and down. I usually prefer a setting of -6 to eliminate head cropping. You can control this by navigating through the buttons:

Menu->down->down->set->set->down(six times)->menu

Rick

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rick,

Thanks for your reply. The problem I am experiencing is evident in all 5 modes. The only difference is in the degree of cut-off evident in each mode. I did check my DVD settings and ensured that I have the 16:9 mode selected, so I know that is not the issue.

Larry

·
Banned
410 Posts
Well, I guess that covers it all. Time to call for service where you bought it. This is the first time I heard of such problems. A quick check of overscan with Avia or Essentials would be a good way to absolutely confirm your problem.

Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.