AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a quick "one button" way of switch between 5.1 SACD and 2 ch CD playback of Hybrid SACD with the 59avi?

The only way I can do this now is to do the following;

1. stop the playback

2. press the menu button on the remote

3. go into the initial setup menu

4. go into the option menu

5. set the SACD tab to either multi channel SACD, 2 ch SACD, or 2 ch CD

This is kind of long winded to do what should just be a single step operation. Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
cp10932:

I'm about to get the Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi myself next week. Can you simply make changes in the internal setup permanent? I'd appreciate your feedback on this one as a last check before I invest in the unit myself. Thank you!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welly,

Yes, once the settings are made, they stay. In my case, I am looking for quicker ways to switch between SACD and 2ch CD materials on a Hybrid SACD disk.

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X6500H, Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500, Martin Logan Speakers
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cp10932
Is there a quick "one button" way of switch between 5.1 SACD and 2 ch CD playback of Hybrid SACD with the 59avi?

The only way I can do this now is to do the following;

1. stop the playback

2. press the menu button on the remote

3. go into the initial setup menu

4. go into the option menu

5. set the SACD tab to either multi channel SACD, 2 ch SACD, or 2 ch CD

This is kind of long winded to do what should just be a single step operation. Thanks.
cp10932,

No. All Pioneer universal players have this characteristic.

BTW, how does it sound? I'm about to order one on Wednesday.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
You have to push stop and fortuneatly just hit a remote button on my two Sonys, SCD-XA777ES & SCD-CS555ES. You can't switch layers on the fly. Even if you could, it's not like it's practical to deliver you to the same track and count on a different layer. It's the same going from 2-ch to m-ch or vice versa. You have to push stop on the Denon 2900 also for these types of functions. I think pushing stop for this is universal.;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
CP, Im with HiRes, how does the 59AVi perform audiowise? Not to concerned with CD (I have a CD player for that) but very interested in SACD and DVD-A playback. Also, any issues with Bass Management? Thanks........

·
Registered
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by freddy14
CP, Im with HiRes, how does the 59AVi perform audiowise? Not to concerned with CD (I have a CD player for that) but very interested in SACD and DVD-A playback. Also, any issues with Bass Management? Thanks........
freddy14,

The DV-59AVi probably has the crossovers at 100Hz like the previous units. I recommend you to use the Outlaw's ICBM. If you set the speakers to LARGE, no DSD to PCM conversion takes place on SACDs. What I really like to know how's the sound with all speakers set to LARGE and sub set to ON.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, in my case, it's really hard to make an objective assessment on the sonic quality of SACD and DVD-A playback on the 59avi. This is because I found significant sonic changes when I replaced my old AV receiver with the Bryston SP1.7; the Bryston SP1.7 makes music (CD, SACD, and DVD-A) sounds sweeter and a lot more dynamic. So, with the right combination of pre/pro, power amp, or AV receiver (and speakers), the 59avi can definitely give you excellent sounding music. BTW, I set my speakers all to SMALL and sub to ON. I may try setting the speakers to LARGE and sub to ON for experiment ..... Still learning all the in's and out's of the 59avi.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am wondering why you still have to worry about bass management for SACD or DVD-A. I thought that would be resolved once for all in the digital domain since 59avi has ilink function, so it sends out digital data to the receiver to be processed digitally and finally converted to analog for the speakers.

My interest is about if digital output of hi-res audio data sound much better than the analog output.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ptpli
I am wondering why you still have to worry about bass management for SACD or DVD-A. I thought that would be resolved once for all in the digital domain since 59avi has ilink function, so it sends out digital data to the receiver to be processed digitally and finally converted to analog for the speakers.

My interest is about if digital output of hi-res audio data sound much better than the analog output.
Basically because it's a new option you can find in the Pioneer and Yamaha latest receivers. The 99% of the receivers and pre/pro don't have firewire inputs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.