AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the Pioneer Pro - 610HD RPTV. Any comments on issues or problems with this set? How does the Sony 57XBR10W HD TV rate? Both are AAA rated by SGTHT magazine.I have read the reviews but would like your opinions. Any issues with ISF calibration? Anything would help to make my decision easier.

Is anything coming just over the horizon that should make me pause and wait a little longer? What about copy protection?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
770 Posts
They are both fine sets, however the sony only has one wide band input. The boys at e-town.com use a Pioneer Elite (510) as their review reference for rptv's with 7" tubes. Read their reviews on both sets. Cheers. JR

·
Registered
830 Posts
I was also considering these two sets, and ended up with the Pro-610HD. What originally attracted me to the Sony was the convenience of the "flash focus" feature, but when I saw these two sets next to each other, I felt that there was no comparison in picture quality. With a good HD signal, the Elite actually looks very much like a 35MM slide. Also, I noticed at more than one store that the Sony seemed to have sync problems. Every minute or so the picture would black out, then come back with the "Video 5" label on it. At both stores, this was with the DirectTV demo loop from the RCA STB.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all for your replies. I am definitely leaning toward the Pioneer but am concerned about an upgrade path when HD recording devices and/or copyright protection comes along. I would hate to pay a not insignificant sum of money now and have the TV become obsolete next year. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions? Can IEEE - 1394 be added to current HDTV sets? I know integrated sets are also coming out later in the year, should I wait?

I know that early adopters(or in this case semi early adopters) often face penalties with cahnging technologies but I would like to know as much as I can before a large purchase.

Again any and all help is greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by trustno1 (edited 03-15-2001).]

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
trustno1,

If you are intertested in upgradeability you should at least consider the Mitsubishi 55857/55907. They have "the promise". Do a search on Mitsubishi. There is a recent thread regarding this. I have not seen the 16x9 Sony, so I won't comment on it other than to say it has only one progressive input (a serious limitation IMO). From my observations the picture quality of HD and progressive DVD on the Mitsubishi is equivalent to the Elite. With lower quality sources the Elite's picture is better due to it's superior line doubler.

If you plan to use the set for your primary TV watching (cable/DSS) then the Elite is the best way to go. If you have a separate room that you use primarily for DVD and HD then the Mitsubishi would be a good choice. You can also add an external line doubler (like the DVDO Iscan Pro) to the Mits to get the quality of cable/DSS upto the Elite level.

There is no doubt that the Elite is a great TV (maybe the best in it's class). The only negatives are:

1. High price

2. Possible no upgrade path

3. Locks into full mode with progressive signal

Good luck with your decision.

Jay

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've got the Sony 57xbr10w and when I saw it next to the elite, I thought the Sony was better. Most retail outfits do not calibrate the sets for in store use and don't always have the same signal input to the set. Sony's, because of the high-contrast screen, tend to look dimmer in a store. Also, if you view the set while standing, you are not at the correct viewing angle. I've also been at stores who tend to carry many brands and who primarily push only one of them, input 480i to everything except the sets they get the best spifs on. On the sets with the best spif, they supply hi-def signals. I would check the two sets out a different stores before deciding.

On the Sony, the single hi-def input was not an issue as I'm switching between my sat-hd100 and DVP-s9000es DVD using my receiver.

If you can wait, in the fall sony is releasing the 57xbr2 and 65xbr2 to replace the xbr10w line. the xbr2 has built in DTV tuner and IEEE 1394 firewire (I.Link in Sony terms) at $5k and $6k list.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Ben, no it's not a sync problem that causes many Sony HS10's and XBR RPTV's to temporarily blank out. It's bright images coupled with bad power supplies that causes this. It's an extremely common problem with the sets, though it is fixable by a Sony-trained repairman. These sets also have several other extremely common problems, mostly fixable. You have to wonder why Sony continues to send out sets with known easily detectable problems. My HS10 had the blanking problem and also bad banding, and I was only able to get the blanking problem fixed within the 30 days, so I returned it.

Also, there is just no way in hell a Sony RPTV would beat a properly calibrated Pioneer Elite in a heads up battle on interlaced DVD or TV input. That may change in the Fall, when Sony adds 3:2 pulldown to DRC.

The Sony XBR RPTV's are way overpriced for what they are. The Pioneer Elites may be overpriced, but at least they're the best 7" gun RPTV's in a single package. You would save a lot of money by adding a DVDO iScan Pro to a cheaper RPTV, though.

------------------

Abdul

Click to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
On the Sony, the single hi-def input was not an issue as I'm switching between my sat-hd100 and DVP-s9000es DVD using my receiver.

Unless you're using one of the two receivers that have a high-bandwidth connection for component sources, you're losing a great deal of picture quality doing this. You might want to consider a $200 high-bandwidth Extron switcher. The picture quality improvement should be substantial on HD sources.

------------------
BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Which two recievers pass high bandwidth? I am switching my HD-100 and DVD signals through my Denon AVR4800 currently. Am I degrading the signal?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Regarding future technology, I read somewhere that a Firewire connection

cannot handle a full resolution HD signal. Anyone else heard about this?

Thanks, JR.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.