AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a cable box on my tv, and my question is how, or, is it possible to program the DVD recorder, and have it record on different channels ?

I do not see how the DVD recorder can change the channels.

I use a dvd recorder to be able to watch some programs while am absent, so what is the use of it if I have to stand in front of it and change the channels my self, so it can record it ? If am there to change channels, I mite as well watch the program...!

Any comments ?

Thank you in advance,

George

·
Registered
41 Posts
most cable boxes have a 'vcr timer' feature to change the channel unattended. Yours doesn't?

If not and you need this then you need a different model with an IR blaster. Personally I find the timer feature of the cable box more reliable.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by georges99 /forum/post/0

Hi,

I have a cable box on my tv, and my question is how, or, is it possible to program the DVD recorder, and have it record on different channels ?

I do not see how the DVD recorder can change the channels.

I use a dvd recorder to be able to watch some programs while am absent, so what is the use of it if I have to stand in front of it and change the channels my self, so it can record it ? If am there to change channels, I mite as well watch the program...!

Any comments ?

Thank you in advance,

George

You can't do this with a Pioneer 640. The 640 does not have the ability to control a cable box.

To do this you need a DVD recorder with an IR control (sometimes referred to as an IR blaster). Any full featured DVD recorder should have this. The 640 does not. You may be able to set your STB to play a certain channel in the future at a prescribed time and then set the 640 to record at that time. This STB feature is sometimes called the "record to VCR" function. And as far as I am concerned it is a work around. But it can work. You are doing double work by having to set two devices but it is doable.

Another option is to run COAX directly to the Pioneer. This will allow you to record any channel that can be received analog via COAX. But you are limited to those channels. In this case you are bypassing the cable box.

I chose Toshiba over Pioneer because the Toshiba does allow me to control my STB. My STB does not have the "record to VCR" feature. But even if it did I prefer to have my DVD recorder control my cable box directly. With the Toshiba I can set it to record any channel on the STB. For example channel 506 every Sunday night at 8:00pm. The Toshiba will change the channel on the STB every Sunday at 8:00pm and begin recording. I am not limited to the analog channels via COAX. I am using the STB. Controlling a cable box is not possible with the Pioneer 640.

For timer recordings the Pioneer 640 is more designed for those with rabbit ears or analog cable via COAX. It loses its effectiveness for timer recordings if you have an STB. Great machine but it has its limitations with timer recordings - more of a 1980's approach.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo /forum/post/0

To do this you need a DVD recorder with an IR control (sometimes referred to as an IR blaster).

It's possible to do this the other way around, too. Some cable boxes can use their own IR blaster to send remote control codes to the DVD recorder to turn it on and start recording.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson /forum/post/0

It's possible to do this the other way around, too. Some cable boxes can use their own IR blaster to send remote control codes to the DVD recorder to turn it on and start recording.

Which would be significantly more preferrable!. Using this approach you could take advantage of the robustness of the cable guide. I have not seen one though. I wonder which brands/models?

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge /forum/post/0

most cable boxes have a 'vcr timer' feature to change the channel unattended. Yours doesn't?

Mine did until a few days ago. Time Warner "upgraded" its software. I suspect they're planning to take incremental steps to prevent us from recording. For the first time, after this upgrade, I saw my Pioneer 633 display a message to the effect that some parts of the program it was recording were protected; however, it was still able to make that recording.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

Quote:

One other thing, does someone know if the Pioneer 640 as built tuner ?

George

Yes it has an NTSC tuner. This is what you would connect your cable COAX to. Depending on what you want to record this may be all you need. It typically will tune in the first 99 channels - the analog ones. This strategy will bypass your cable box.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal /forum/post/0

Mine did until a few days ago. Time Warner "upgraded" its software. I suspect they're planning to take incremental steps to prevent us from recording. For the first time, after this upgrade, I saw my Pioneer 633 display a message to the effect that some parts of the program it was recording were protected; however, it was still able to make that recording.

I think you are right. Couple this with the dwindling list of HDD recorders and the future looks grim. Well maybe not grim but more challenging.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Georges99, the Pioneer has a auto start feature, so if your cable box has a built in timer, you can hook it up to the 640's line 1 inputs, and activate the feature. Then, when your cable box comes on, your 640 will start recording.

If your cable box doesn't have this feature, run the coax cable from the wall, to the 640, then to the cable box. Run line outputs, video and audio, from the cable box to the 640. You can then program the 640 to record any of the non-scrambled analog channels over the coax input. You can leave the cable box set to any digital/premium channel you might want to record, and program the 640 to record that, over the line inputs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc /forum/post/0

Georges99, the Pioneer has a auto start feature, so if your cable box has a built in timer, you can hook it up to the 640's line 1 inputs, and activate the feature. Then, when your cable box comes on, your 640 will start recording.

If your cable box doesn't have this feature, run the coax cable from the wall, to the 640, then to the cable box. Run line outputs, video and audio, from the cable box to the 640. You can then program the 640 to record any of the non-scrambled analog channels over the coax input. You can leave the cable box set to any digital/premium channel you might want to record, and program the 640 to record that, over the line inputs.

Wow, that is really nice, thank you for the info's.

I just installed my Pioneer 640 tonight, and am really amaze how nice the picture quality is, WOW.

I really like the option of recognizing a signal from the cable box, and start by it self. I have to read about that, and it a try

Maybe one last question, if I want to watch the tv with the cable box, the way am set up, I have to power on my Pioneer 640, if not the tv is blank. I would rather power off the DVD recorder when I don't use it.

Thanks in advance,

Georges99

This way I wont have to program bolt of them.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:

Maybe one last question, if I want to watch the tv with the cable box, the way am set up, I have to power on my Pioneer 640, if not the tv is blank. I would rather power off the DVD recorder when I don't use it.

If your 640 has to be on to see your cable out put, I assume you have line outs from the cable box to the 640, and from the 640 to your TV. To watch TV with the 640 off, you will have to run another line of some kind to the TV. If your cable box has a second set of line outputs, and your TV a second set of line inputs, use those. If not, your only other option is to run the RF coax cable from your cable box to the TV. Tune to your cable box output channel, probably 3 or 4. You will get a picture and sound, but you will not get stereo on the TV from the coax cable.

·
Registered
455 Posts

Quote:

Which would be significantly more preferrable!. Using this approach you could take advantage of the robustness of the cable guide. I have not seen one though. I wonder which brands/models?

My TWC SA3250HD box running Passport software (some TWC networks run SARA) has an optional (hard to find) IR blaster and controls my Pioneer DVD recorders nicely from its robust EPG system. TWC calls this the VCR commander function. I think TWC does not like give out the IR-blasters as they compete with their DVR rentals. I think all the recent TWC boxes have the IR port in the back.

The program title also transfers directly into the recordings title. You configure the EPG to tell it which brand VCR you have and it sends a test record signal for verification. This only works for Pioneer DVD recorders as they are the only current DVD recorders that respond to the same companies VCR commands. I leave the DVD recorder on and the SA3250HD issues the RECord and StopRecord commands via its IR-blaster. Sometime I program it to do 3-4 movies a day unattended.

I found a long time ago that my local TWC digital did not pass the TVGOS information to my Pioneer 531H and this was a great workaround for me.

I have heard that some Sat. networks can also control a VCR and they should work for the Pioneers as well.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Oldemanphil-

Fantastic solution.

After looking into it a bit I discovered that the VCR Commander/IR blaster function is disabled with the Scientific Atlanta boxes that are DVR's. I unfortunately have two SA DVR's.

This function is enabled on SA boxes that are not DVR's. I guess they think if you have a DVR you don't need it? Crazy.

Great feature. But with my setup I need a DVD recorder that has the IR blaster. Not the other way around. I guess I could give up my DVR's but then how would I time shift HD content? Which I do a lot of. How are you time shifting HD content? Any ideas?

·
Registered
455 Posts

Quote:

Oldemanphil-

Fantastic solution.

After looking into it a bit I discovered that the VCR Commander/IR blaster function is disabled with the Scientific Atlanta boxes that are DVR's. I unfortunately have two SA DVR's.

This function is enabled on SA boxes that are not DVR's. I guess they think if you have a DVR you don't need it? Crazy.

Great feature. But with my setup I need a DVD recorder that has the IR blaster. Not the other way around. I guess I could give up my DVR's but then how would I time shift HD content? Which I do a lot of. How are you time shifting HD content? Any ideas?

I really haven't tried much HD content yet.

I did experiment the other day with something you suggested...that is using a component-in recorder to try and keep the wide screen flag. My TWC box always letterboxs WS content when outputing through S-video. Anyway I tried an old philips DVDR77 that has component in at 480i and passed its S-video output to my Pioneer 640. The quality wasn't bad but I really what an amorphic (sp?) recording and am not being very successful so far.

I need to do some more testing on this as my test setup was far from optimal.

I'm wishing now that I hadn't returned the last good Poloroid 2001G that I had. Can't find any locally now but D-models demos, would love to find a new H-K one. If all else fails, guess I'll have to try the videooo filter to get the flag set.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.