AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Pioneer 643HD5 on the day after Thanksgiving. Overall the picture is outstanding except that I have a lack of detail with DVDs. I'd be tempted to blame the DVD player which is an old interlaced RCA going through generic RCA cables (I have a Panasonic RP-82 and component cables on the way) but my 31" Quasar shows detail that is invisible or poorly defined on the Pioneer. I've done multi-point convergence and set basic video parameters with AVIA. I've had the sharpness from minimum to maximum and everywhere in between.

Is there an explanation for this or should I suspect a defect in the Pioneer?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh, you noticed I tried to dance around that.

I think that it loses something with sdtv broadcasts as well but it may just be a size thing, I didn't compare as closely as dvd. From what I'd read I kind of expected the networks to be less than stellar. When I get home tonight I'll try to do an objective comparison but, since they're no longer in the same room, that might be tough. I focussed on dvd because from reading other comments I had high expectations.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I would suspect 1) a bad analog RCA video cable, 2) a bad analog input on the Pioneer, 3) that the RCA cable isn't plugged in appropriately, or 4) that the analog output on your DVD player isn't quite right.

#1 would be easy to test out, with a new cable, as would #3. #4 seems to be eliminated since you say the picture looks fine on your older set. If it is #2 then you probably want a fix on your set. I personally don't use my RCA video inputs anymore, but they may be important to you -- or at least you might expect everything to work right on a new set ;).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, maybe I should just wait until the RP82 and component cables arrive, although you're right I'm not completely happy if the RCA inputs are faulty. If it still doesn't look right then I'll know I've got a problem.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Did you have a chance to view a set like yours in the store with a DVD? If so, how was the detail then? If there was/is a dramatic difference then you may have something not quite right on your set, but most likely, it is either your "old" DVD player or perhaps a cable/hookup problem.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
The Pioneers and Elites typically look stunning with DVDs. Of course, I haven't used an RCA video input on one before.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I have a red face. I apparently did something wrong when I used the AVIA disk. I had the sharpness turned all the way down (and I think the black level too low as well). When I got home last night I just made some changes by eye (sharpness=0 instead of -31) and now the picture is outstanding. If the new DVD player and component cables make a noticeable improvement over what I saw last night it should be incredible. I'll try the AVIA again this weekend to try and figure out what I did wrong.

In any event thanks for all of your help. Sorry if I wasted anyones time. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a brief follow up.

Got a Panasonic cp72 and hooked into the 643HD with Canare component cables, ran a quick AVIA and all I can say is wow!!

Doesn't just blow away the previous setup, blows away the theater. With very few exceptions no more movie tickets for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.